Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: [0.65.2a] EVE Mod  (Read 83940 times)

akeean

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] EVE Mod
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2014, 02:52:20 AM »

but seriously i don't know why it won't work just that it won't load that ship's hull and that is a major problem if your download for the newest version of the mod is not longer working.

I'm running the 2.1.7z file (the one from 21.Nov), internal version is 2.0, first ran it with the integrated 32bit jre of starsector, but it crashed out after 2hours usually. Now running it with 64bit jre7 release 72 with 2048m assigned to the jre. It'm running together with the radar mod... no memory problems so far.

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 04:10:46 AM »

nickelknight, I've already described the error about "buffalo" not found: recently vanilla had a bug that it was still trying to load default skins even for total conversion mods like this one. I didn't release the new version until that was fixed, but now this problem is gone. There must be something wrong with your game/mod versions, because other guys here don't have problems with this. Try deleting the whole mod folder and unzip again... Seriously, I have no clues why you ran into this trouble.

About the memory: the game started to be more "intensive" since last vanilla update (economy eats much), so later (or already) even the mods with no previous troubles with memory might need 64bit runtime... Well, this topic has already been widely discussed on the forum.

akeean, nice, I'll check your file out! Frankly speaking I wasn't very eager to get into the rules csv, but now I have an example from you, thanks =)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2014, 04:34:38 AM »

The memory 'intensive' usage isn't really to do with with the economy at all, the game still uses around 250-300Mb of RAM during normal gameplay on average. The serialization or 'dehydration' and  'rehydration' deserialization process for saved objects using the XStream library when loading/saving a campaign is the culprit for the RAM problems.

Some optimisation to reduce the memory overhead the XStream library requires has been done for the next release candidate for Starsector has realised about a 50% memory saving.

This is not speculation either:
Spoiler

[close]

See what I mean?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:39:00 AM by Debido »

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »

Yeah, I see, the new features just seem to have made my gameplay less smooth, that's why I thought about that.

akeean

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »

Update:
Enhanced rules.csv drop in replacement for 0.65.1a compatible mod. Contains Minmatar race, additional hard difficulty and balanced&varied career starts. I wanted the player not start out with a cruiser, but have the option to trade his fleet for a single bigger ship right from the start if he really wants a cruiser/destroyer (on easier difficulties). From my experience with the mod (which goes along nicely with eve) it is smart to not upgrade too soon, since running away will be much harder and the more probable loss of the bigger ship will set you back further than you can handle if you upgrade out of your league too soon.

- Traders will start with an industrial and more cash (+a simple frigate on easy)

- Smugglers start with the nimblest fleet, but decent money. (I reduced the rookie ships deployment points in my ship_data.csv to 2, since it gives the player a smaller fleet to sneak into hostile planets... also rookie ships are really crappy, swarming will be not really a problem) this lowers the risk of doing hostile runs, since the loss of a single frigate is a smaller % of the players net value, while the profit of smuggling will offset the smaller hold size compared to an industrial.

- Bounty hunters start with less cash, but 2-3 decent frigates and always have a webber&jammer pair plus a tank, skirmisher or missle boat depending on race so the starts have a slightly different feel between the races.

akeean, nice, I'll check your file out! Frankly speaking I wasn't very eager to get into the rules csv, but now I have an example from you, thanks =)

Let me know if you encounter any bugs, or if you find out the syntax to nest several variable conditions (like $race==amarr&&$carreer==trader) since that would make things way simpler down the tree. Right now it is a bit convoluted...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:01:25 AM by akeean »

nickelknight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »

but seriously i don't know why it won't work just that it won't load that ship's hull and that is a major problem if your download for the newest version of the mod is not longer working.

I'm running the 2.1.7z file (the one from 21.Nov), internal version is 2.0, first ran it with the integrated 32bit jre of starsector, but it crashed out after 2hours usually. Now running it with 64bit jre7 release 72 with 2048m assigned to the jre. It'm running together with the radar mod... no memory problems so far.

i'm running 64 bit java i've replaced it once and that didn't help but both versions will run the core game or some of the other mods.
but with thee eve mod it just won't load up the game like the initial loading screen cuts out after about 5 seconds of trying to load and well yeah...

nickelknight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »

so now for some reason, it loads about half way threw loading and says fatal: null
so now it's still not loading and it won't even tell me why.

StevenB

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2014, 11:17:25 AM »

This mod runs well for me, thank you for designing it.

One issue I have is that there tends to be only one faction in each sector. If I want to make money without trading, I have to attack that group as there aren't many enemies. I defeat the group easily and get about 3-4 thousand worth of loot, however, I then cannot trade in that sector, so I have to go to hyperspace to sell the loot. It would make a lot more sense to have multiple warring factions in zones so that you can make an enemy of one and still trade with the other without having to travel in empty space so much.

Great work on the rest of it. Great design, I really like how each sector is planned with the asteroid belt and I really like the sprites.

akeean

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »

so now for some reason, it loads about half way threw loading and says fatal: null
so now it's still not loading and it won't even tell me why.

1) Are you sure you installed Java 7 JRE? Cause Oracle offers Java 8 JRE as a default (you have to dig a bit to find it... current is Java 7 JRE Update 72)

2) Try running the starfarer.bat in the starsector-core folder. That's the only way it runs for me with 64bit JRE. (it'll keep a CMD window open while running, but that seems to be the only change)

nickelknight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »

hey thanks, i tried running the bat file.... it worked and now i can play it.. SWEET!!!!

akeean

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2014, 09:17:41 AM »

I'm curious what you'll make of it. Feel free to build on it, although I think it needs code optimization there is too much repetition. Nested condition would be soo useful, still haven't figured it out tho, since the documentation seems thin for this part. See the v2 version of the rules (further up the thread) for all 4 races and added difficulty options. Starting options are in the second half of the csv (somewhere around line 530 i think)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:28:22 PM by akeean »

akeean

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2014, 12:03:29 AM »

Following ships don't have their races innert shipsystems build in:

Caldari
- Orca Freighter
- Manticore Stealth Bomber

Gallente
- Cyclops Bomber

Gallente:
- Maulus Frigate
- Imicus Frigate (only comes with recon systems)
- Nemesis Stealth Bomber

Minmatar
- Hound Stealth Bomber
- Tyrfing Bomber

SOE
- Astero (description lists it as exploration ship, but has no recon sys)

Will update this post whenever I see another ship with its subsystems missing.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:01:26 AM by akeean »

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2014, 10:34:23 AM »

Thanks again for your participation, I'll add the missing hullmods (except Orca - it's ORE ship, not Caldari)! I was a bit busy this week, but now I've got some time and plan to release an update this weekend. I'm almost done with dreadnoughts. I used your rules file and changed it a bit - it was of great help, I really appreciate that! What is left before I release a new version is the fix for economy (planet/station factions, probably will fix one unpleasant bug) and some balance stuff.

akeean

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »

Thanks again for your participation, I'll add the missing hullmods (except Orca - it's ORE ship, not Caldari)!

Amarr Bomber is also missing it's system.

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2014, 01:09:31 AM »

The 2.2 version is released and ready for download.
As already partly discussed here, the changes include:
  • Added dreadnoughts
  • Fixed economy issues (probably)
  • Added missing race-specific hullmods to some ships
  • Added race-specific game creation options (thanks to akeean for rules file)
  • 2 more random missions: "Big vs small" and "Clash of the titans"
Feedback on new functionality is welcome!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8