Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1097488 times)

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Scy V0.99e (10/04/2016)
« Reply #885 on: June 19, 2016, 06:11:02 PM »

While most modding ressources are outdated, they still give useful pointers to start modding. When setting up your mod, do as everyone did: take a peek at an existing mod (a simple one, don't base your work on heavily scripted factions like Templars, Imperium... You should avoid pretty much any mod that compiled its code); then start replacing their stuff with your own while keeping an eye on the vanilla factions. There is no magic method to start modding: by definition it require you to be curious and observe how the game is built.

New Scy ships are gorgeous; I'm really enjoying the smoother, more unified hull shapes. I wouldn't mistake them for Neutrino designs in a second; they're much clearer, more readable, and more appealing IMO.

As far as modding resources go - you can get surprisingly far with just a copy of Trylobot's ship editor and the existing info on the forums. Certainly you can do ships, weapons, basic missions, and most lightly-scripted ship systems or hullmods without knowing terribly much about the game, enough to build something people would be interested in helping you out with.

Ok, thanks for the tips! I'll look around a bit and form up some questions as I go. Once I understand how modding works, can I use Citadel as an experiment? The mod seemed to be on Hiatus indefinitely from the modder's statement.

Aside from that, what programs are the best to access/create/modify program files other than sprites? I took a peek at some of the files and some can't be opened.
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 19, 2016, 06:59:34 PM »

When setting up your mod, do as everyone did: take a peek at an existing mod (a simple one, don't base your work on heavily scripted factions like Templars, Imperium... You should avoid pretty much any mod that compiled its code); then start replacing their stuff with your own while keeping an eye on the vanilla factions.

Wait, you can do that? I thought there were issues to do with copyright and so forth.

Only if you're using their content. Copyright doesn't cover file format
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 19, 2016, 09:15:08 PM »

Only if you're using their content. Copyright doesn't cover file format

So if I wanted to knick the Templar Shield code and adjust it for my own nefarious purposes, that counts as copyright, but if you're just doing layout, it doesn't?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 19, 2016, 11:49:34 PM »

What? I think you misunderstood what I meant: I was advising you to use an existing mod as a template to build your own, but you can't reuse its content! You take a look to see how it has been done and replace everything... Compiling has nothing to do with that, it's a way to use more coding tools than what is allowed by the game's on-startup compiling. But that also means the compiled mods are fairly more complex than non-compiled ones, and usually have a very custom implementations you don't really need to wrap your head around when starting your mod.

Now that being said, there are some mods that have lenient licensing and sometimes allows you to take parts of their code at the condition to give credits for it, and release it in open format too. Scy for example is like that. And you always have the Radioactive Code Dump thread for funky code samples.

The issue is... There don't seems to be many non-compiled mod up-to-date left.  :o Hum, that's inconvenient to say the least. I only found Flux. And if anything, it is a tidy mod template to look at. Remember to always balance your work against Vanilla and do not take mods into account.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:13:43 AM by Tartiflette »

Deathfly

• Modders' Vanguard
  • Commander
  • Murdered by T. H. Morgan
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: June 20, 2016, 12:05:06 AM »

The issue is... There don't seems to be any non-compiled mod up-to-date left.  :o Hum, that's inconvenient to say the least.

IIRC we still have JP in now days.

Maybe someday I can set up a "My first SS mod Kit" that contain the most basically part of a mod that could help the new comer to get on its feet when I feels free.

EDIT: OK, seems like my memory fails me, JP is compiled now.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:14:45 AM by Deathfly »
A not-so-noob functional geneticist
And a free bug hunter
Code and decode almost everythings with a genomics approach.
Served in Neutrino corporation as a long-term services and supports staff.

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 20, 2016, 12:51:01 AM »

What? I think you misunderstood what I meant: I was advising you to use an existing mod as a template to build your own, but you can't reuse its content! You take a look to see how it has been done and replace everything... Compiling has nothing to do with that, it's a way to use more coding tools than what is allowed by the game's on-startup compiling. But that also means the compiled mods are fairly more complex than non-compiled ones, and usually have a very custom implementations you don't really need to wrap your head around when starting your mod.

Now that being said, there are some mods that have lenient licensing and sometimes allows you to take parts of their code at the condition to give credits for it, and release it in open format too. Scy for example is like that. And you always have the Radioactive Code Dump thread for funky code samples.

The issue is... There don't seems to be many non-compiled mod up-to-date left.  :o Hum, that's inconvenient to say the least. I only found Flux. And if anything, it is a tidy mod template to look at. Remember to always balance your work against Vanilla and do not take mods into account.

Ok, I wasn't trying to reuse the Citadel's resources at all. Thanks for the template reference, it makes it much easier to get the systems right as I try. Wonder what ships should be made to make a different mod from the ones present? Time to plan first!

Also, I look forward to thanks to Deathfly for considering making a Mod Kit! I'll try my best to learn!
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 11, 2016, 01:17:01 AM »

Almost.... There....

(click to enlarge)

Four ships, a few armored variants, and a few drones and fighters left for the ship side of the graphic update.
[EDIT] Three ships left.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:10:13 AM by Tartiflette »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 11, 2016, 02:55:26 AM »

So, I just "finished" my first Scy-only playtrough, and it was a heap of fun :)  Some really well designed ships and weapons to use, especially in a fleet context. Thank you for your work!

Only one question: is it a technical necessity that armor modules use fleet points only after initial deployment? It's a bit confusing and inconvenient that after initial deployment you end up with negative fleet points and an inability to send reinforcements. If it's impossible to avoid, it would be nice if the ship description would tell us how many extra FP are needed for the armor, so we can plan around it.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 11, 2016, 03:10:41 AM »

Thanks, glad to see you appreciated them.

Only one question: is it a technical necessity that armor modules use fleet points only after initial deployment?
If I recall correctly, the game as a minimum value of 1 FP per ship or wing (same as many other stats) but I never looked for a work-around, so maybe it can be avoided? I will investigate that once I get around cleaning up all the scripts. I also hope to have an update for TwigLib along the Big Scy Update to iron out some of the very rough edges still present with armored ships. Don't expect to have them hidden from the tactical view though, that limitation is built-in the engine.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 11, 2016, 04:02:13 AM »

I wasn't sold on the smaller ships, but now Isee the big ones - That's a pretty looking fleet Tart.

Tufted Titmouse

• Lieutenant
  • Fire the missiles. All of them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 11, 2016, 05:11:25 AM »

Judging by the new look of the siren, It seems like it's got a hanger, Any chance of it having flight decks or is it just gonna be for looks?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 11, 2016, 05:16:57 AM »

Judging by the new look of the siren, It seems like it's got a hanger, Any chance of it having flight decks or is it just gonna be for looks?
The current Siren has a flight deck too... Only an early version from almost two years ago had drones instead of the deck.

Tufted Titmouse

• Lieutenant
  • Fire the missiles. All of them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 11, 2016, 08:57:12 AM »

The current Siren has a flight deck too... Only an early version from almost two years ago had drones instead of the deck.
Wait, it does? I haven't noticed it

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 08, 2016, 05:46:44 AM »

Three ships to go...

*click to enlarge*

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 08, 2016, 08:18:07 AM »

Three ships to go...

*click to enlarge*

D= Why I feel like I am being teased! Daaam. These Drones and fighters look extra detailed!!!!
Ignorance is bliss..
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 98