Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1101754 times)

Abyz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Scy V0.99e (10/04/2016)
« Reply #870 on: April 23, 2016, 06:20:01 PM »

You're really taking this faction to the next level looks-wise! Very nice.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 23, 2016, 07:32:33 PM »

I always thought the sprites of this mod were kinda lacking, glad to see that they have massively improved.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 24, 2016, 10:04:11 AM »

Those look amazing.

PureBlind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 28, 2016, 02:25:30 PM »

Be careful with editing the spirtes and making them too round. What I really like about Scy is that they are boxy, unlike most factions. They look like industrial/mining ships/freighters uparmored and converted to combat ships, and I like that. You should at least keep the occasional industrial orange/tan red coloration to make them pop.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:29:14 PM by PureBlind »

Ratheden

• Lieutenant
  • Slaughter cannot be spelled without Laughter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 29, 2016, 12:22:14 PM »

Be careful with editing the spirtes and making them too round. What I really like about Scy is that they are boxy, unlike most factions. They look like industrial/mining ships/freighters uparmored and converted to combat ships, and I like that. You should at least keep the occasional industrial orange/tan red coloration to make them pop.

/agree

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: June 18, 2016, 07:03:59 AM »

(click to enlarge)

The sprite update is going swimmingly well, albeit slowly overall. The Megaera, Hydra and Euryale have been removed but newcomers took the names of the first two. In addition to that, given that my Medusa is long gone and I just removed the Euryale I figured I should go all the way and rename the last Gorgon left: The Stheno-class cruiser is now the Corocotta-class. Not only it will no longer near-clash with Blackrock's Stenos, but the new name is particularly fitting. Corocottas were huge mythical wolf-dogs, fast as horses, that hunt men. It is also the name of a legendary bandit that laid waste on Roman trade routes in the Spanish region. So yeah, a very good new name I believe.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:32:59 AM by Tartiflette »

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 18, 2016, 07:41:04 AM »

(click to enlarge)

The sprite update is going swimmingly well, albeit slowly overall. The Megaera, Hydra and Euryale have been removed but newcomers took the names of the first two. In addition to that, given that my Medusa is long gone and I just removed the Euryale I figured I should go all the way and rename the last Gorgon left: The Stheno-class cruiser is now the Corocotta-class. Not only it will no longer near-clash with Blackrock's Stenos, but the new name is particularly fitting. Corocottas were mythical wolf-dogs fast as horses that hunt men. It is also the name of a legendary bandit that laid waste on Roman trade routes in the Spanish region. So yeah, a very good new name I believe.

Oh my, I'm excited to see the next update. Newcomers means new ships right? I wonder what the cruisers, the Keto and Nemean Lion would look like anew.

People were worried the new sprites looked to similar to Neutrino, but I don't thing so.
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

adimetro00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 18, 2016, 08:07:32 AM »

(click to enlarge)

The sprite update is going swimmingly well, albeit slowly overall. The Megaera, Hydra and Euryale have been removed but newcomers took the names of the first two. In addition to that, given that my Medusa is long gone and I just removed the Euryale I figured I should go all the way and rename the last Gorgon left: The Stheno-class cruiser is now the Corocotta-class. Not only it will no longer near-clash with Blackrock's Stenos, but the new name is particularly fitting. Corocottas were mythical wolf-dogs fast as horses that hunt men. It is also the name of a legendary bandit that laid waste on Roman trade routes in the Spanish region. So yeah, a very good new name I believe.
It's nice to see the ship's exhausts improved. Much better than the old one.
btw, eta?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 18, 2016, 08:27:47 AM »

Yeah, as you can see, the newcomers are completely new hulls: a new set of frigate, destroyer, and soon cruiser. The other cruisers will look quite like the ones there (knowing that I'm removing all the Manticores but the carrier) since I'm also trying to consolidate the designs. Lore wise it make sense with Scyan engineers having to work from a limited civilian autofactory and alter the designs for their nefarious needs, and work wise it's easier for me (understand "sooner done"). Although the capital ships are a big unknown right now. I redesigned most ships from scratch since I wasn't satisfied with the look of the old ones, but the capitals are the exception to that. They might stay really close to their current sprite if only because they were a nightmare to paint in the first place.

As for the "Neutrino" look I never quite agreed with that since they basically were boxier high-tech ships, but I decided to play it safe anyway and added that gold line to the paint job. It may not look like a big change, but it's something that set them apart at glance.

Eta? Given that I have to recreate the mod from the ground up, add GraphicLib maps, add new effects to the weapons, add the new ships with new ship-systems and AI, etc, maybe in September. If all goes well. And I'm lucky. And my day job doesn't turn into hell in the meantime (hint, it certainly will in July)...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:30:48 AM by Tartiflette »

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: June 18, 2016, 01:33:09 PM »

Your mod is getting more vanilla worthy by the day. Up there with Black Rock. Nice.

Marcus Garvey

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 19, 2016, 12:18:31 AM »

Those look awesome, I was pretty apprehensive about the art update at first but you've really done it justice. Nicely done.

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: June 19, 2016, 08:36:45 AM »

Yeah, as you can see, the newcomers are completely new hulls: a new set of frigate, destroyer, and soon cruiser. The other cruisers will look quite like the ones there (knowing that I'm removing all the Manticores but the carrier) since I'm also trying to consolidate the designs. Lore wise it make sense with Scyan engineers having to work from a limited civilian autofactory and alter the designs for their nefarious needs, and work wise it's easier for me (understand "sooner done"). Although the capital ships are a big unknown right now. I redesigned most ships from scratch since I wasn't satisfied with the look of the old ones, but the capitals are the exception to that. They might stay really close to their current sprite if only because they were a nightmare to paint in the first place.

As for the "Neutrino" look I never quite agreed with that since they basically were boxier high-tech ships, but I decided to play it safe anyway and added that gold line to the paint job. It may not look like a big change, but it's something that set them apart at glance.

Eta? Given that I have to recreate the mod from the ground up, add GraphicLib maps, add new effects to the weapons, add the new ships with new ship-systems and AI, etc, maybe in September. If all goes well. And I'm lucky. And my day job doesn't turn into hell in the meantime (hint, it certainly will in July)...

How do you do all of this wonderful things? I'm really curious. Any guides on modding? I tried looking at the resources section, but it seemed out dated and cluttered a bit.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:39:50 AM by Mr. K »
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: June 19, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »

While most modding ressources are outdated, they still give useful pointers to start modding. When setting up your mod, do as everyone did: take a peek at an existing mod (a simple one, don't base your work on heavily scripted factions like Templars, Imperium... You should avoid pretty much any mod that compiled its code); then start replacing their stuff with your own while keeping an eye on the vanilla factions. There is no magic method to start modding: by definition it require you to be curious and observe how the game is built.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: June 19, 2016, 05:29:26 PM »

New Scy ships are gorgeous; I'm really enjoying the smoother, more unified hull shapes. I wouldn't mistake them for Neutrino designs in a second; they're much clearer, more readable, and more appealing IMO.

As far as modding resources go - you can get surprisingly far with just a copy of Trylobot's ship editor and the existing info on the forums. Certainly you can do ships, weapons, basic missions, and most lightly-scripted ship systems or hullmods without knowing terribly much about the game, enough to build something people would be interested in helping you out with.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: June 19, 2016, 05:45:35 PM »

When setting up your mod, do as everyone did: take a peek at an existing mod (a simple one, don't base your work on heavily scripted factions like Templars, Imperium... You should avoid pretty much any mod that compiled its code); then start replacing their stuff with your own while keeping an eye on the vanilla factions.

Wait, you can do that? I thought there were issues to do with copyright and so forth.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 98