Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1097835 times)

Dudley Dickerson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Scy V0.99c (05/03/2016)
« Reply #840 on: March 21, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »

I don't know why, but I like the look of the original triangular engines the most. Either way they all look gorgeous to me.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 21, 2016, 08:34:06 AM »

So amazingly viewtiful.. T_T they look awesomelicious! But definitely I will miss Manticores, especially the MIRV ones. I always had in my fleet at least one of these and actually at times I used one of them as a flagship, standing behind the lines and raining the enemies with missiles :3 Every 10 seconds, my enemies cringed! MWAHAHAHAHA... ahem.
Well, if I make those weapons modular, you will be able to launch them four by four from an Erymanthian Boar... Although they probably will have limited ammo and less fire rate. Or maybe a bomber variant??? Now that would be evil.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 21, 2016, 10:25:13 AM »

I like the two striped ones the most. They look very flat and boxy still, but I think the stripe breaks it up a bit. I would still like to see scy ships shaded so that they look more like a polygon and less like a box, with some sort of subtle depth to the top, perhaps with a prismic or tetrahedon impression to the overall shape? idk

The ship to the top right has the best impression of depth to me, as it appears mostly flat but slightly wedge shaped or slanted towards the front. The engine also looks better.

SCY ships would benefit from small fins, radiators or antennae off to the sides too, especially if they appear to be "below" or diagonally pointed downwards, to break up the overall boxy shapes.

Abyz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 21, 2016, 03:47:42 PM »

Very sharp!

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 21, 2016, 09:04:05 PM »

Still trying stuff for the redesign. I said I wouldn't mix bash and rework, but that engine looked too good.

Personally I like the full bash pimped the most. The pimped is cool alright especially if you want a more utilitarian look. The full Kitbash is ok but it has a lot going on. Which isn't a bad thing I guess it just feels kind of flat to me even though it has more detail.  Overall I think they all look better than the original.

spartan117pr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 21, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »

The full kitbash wouldnt be that bad really if it just didnt have the bulbous areas around the larger mounts tbh.  Its just so different from the scy we know and love that it feels like an impostor.  :'(

Ratheden

• Lieutenant
  • Slaughter cannot be spelled without Laughter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 31, 2016, 12:58:15 AM »

Bash+Pimp has my vote.

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 31, 2016, 09:53:46 AM »

I'll be honest, I'm gonna miss the old flying bricks.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 31, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »

Browsing my old files I stumbled on this project than never panned out, so I might as well share it. Back when Gedune was still active, we tried to make a cross-faction mini campaign missions mod, with a bit of story attached. (it's kinda rough so sorry for the many typos/grammar errors and such)

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 02:24:48 PM by Tartiflette »

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 31, 2016, 11:07:26 PM »

I'm going on a limb and say "mayorate".

Either that or Shadowyards
On the left half of the Bell curve

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 02, 2016, 03:40:07 AM »

I'm going on a limb and say "mayorate".
Either that or Shadowyards
You never heard of Gedune?

Also, current changelog of Scy's next update. If anyone think something is missing, fell free to ask. Also, I'm really curious about what you people will think of change in cost. Is it something that you feel appropriate, don't care much about, think will be confusing? It's an attempt at making the early game slightly easier supplies wise while not changing much the end-game balance.

v0.99d

BALANCING:

- Experimental cost balancing:
   . The ships cost slightly more than vanilla to deploy (around +10%).
   . But their maintenance is lower (around -20%).
   . Removed the High-Maintenance hull-mod on the armored ships, but unlike the non armored designs their maintenance is the same as their deployment cost.

- Hacking Commlink:
   . Reduced it's efficiency against shielded targets from 100 emp dps to 75,
   . Efficiency against unshielded targets unchanged at 200 emp + 100 High-Explosive dps.
   . Missile hacking delay raised from 0.5s on average to 1s.
 - Previous burn buff removed for most ships. Combat speed changes maintained.
 - Megaera phase frigate:
   . Scout Teleporter delay raise to 20s from 12.
 - Telchine miner ship:
   . Drone system now has 20 charges from 16 but no recharge from 10s.
 - Keto Siege Carrier:
   . Shield efficiency raised to 1.5 flux/dmg from 1.9

BUGFIXES/IMPROVEMENT:

- Prism Freeport:
   . Fully reworked stock calculation: less random in amounts and renewal,
   . Defeated IBB can now sometimes get available for purchase. (similar to Nexerelin's version)
   . Implemented ships and weapons blacklists (located in data/config/prism/), usable by other mods too. "Joke" or otherwise non-player ships will no longer be available.

- Erymanthian Boar Armored:
   . Side armors now properly fire their weapons.
 - Hacking Commlink:
   . Corrected the description to properly describe the scripted effect.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 03:20:12 PM by Tartiflette »

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 02, 2016, 10:01:37 AM »

Well, high deployment cost is generally more punishing than a high maintenance cost simply because the player is probably going to get into multiple battles per month. This change would mean that Scy ships are slightly more supply-efficient if you only fight once a month, on-par if you fight twice a month, and slightly less supply-efficient if you fight three times a month. Without having played with it yet, I'd guess that the numbers are too small to make that much of a difference in terms of supply costs.

However, this does mean that fully Scy fleets are going to be at a slight disadvantage in terms of deployment points in the extreme lategame. If you have a fleet with combat ships worth more than 40% of the battle size in DP, and you're in situation where you're massively outnumbered by a non-pirate fleet and need to deploy as much as you can just to survive, you're not going to be able to deploy as much as you used to be able to. At 300 battle size, SSP default, you'll be down approximately 11 DP or about one destroyer or two frigates. This will also affect AI fleets; if you're being menaced by a gigantic pileup of Scy fleets, they'll be deploying about 16 fewer DP worth of ships at a time. That's probably going to be the biggest effect of this change.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:43:51 AM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 02, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »

Well, high deployment cost is generally more punishing than a high maintenance cost simply because the player is probably going to get into multiple battles per month. This change would mean that Scy ships are slightly more supply-efficient if you only fight once a month, on-par if you fight twice a month, and slightly less supply-efficient if you fight three times a month. Without having played with it yet, I'd guess that the numbers are too small to make that much of a difference in terms of supply costs.

That's not exactly how it work: the ships do not consume their monthly cost while recovering CR, that make the relative importance of Deployment cost and Monthly cost highly dependent on your CR recovery and repair rate, and tend to make the deployment cost more important. But that's why the difference with vanilla is twice as pronounced for the monthly cost than for the Deployment cost.

If on average a early game fleet get back to full CR in 4 days, not taking into account the individual ships repair rates and that they are often helped by stations repairs, given the difference between the new costs that means the fleet start to get more expensive than vanilla if you deploy ALL ships more often than every 19 days on average. If a mid game fleet needs 8 days, it becomes more expensive if you fight more than every 23 days. Those average are not that easy to reach: as soon as you start traveling in hyper to hunt bounties, you can very well deploy far less often than that. That makes the early game a bit easier because of the reduced cost, while encouraging even more than vanilla to not over-deploy. And late games the supplies are less of a concern anyway.

Also when I say "above vanilla", I'm talking about the cost of a ship of similar tier. And Scyan ships are not very high tier.

However, this does mean that fully Scy fleets are going to be at a slight disadvantage in terms of deployment points in the extreme late game. If you have a fleet with combat ships worth more than 40% of the battle size in DP, and you're in situation where you're massively outnumbered by a non-pirate fleet and need to deploy as much as you can just to survive, you're not going to be able to deploy as much as you used to be able to. At 300 battle size, SSP default, you'll be down approximately 11 DP or about one destroyer or two frigates. This will also affect AI fleets; if you're being menaced by a gigantic pileup of Scy fleets, they'll be deploying about 16 fewer DP worth of ships at a time. That's probably going to be the biggest effect of this change.

That is of no consequence because as you said the repartitions of deployment points between both sides is made after the relative strength of their fleets (calculated from their deployment cost), meaning while the Scyan ships need 10% more point to deploy the same amount of ships, the fleet also get 10% more points to spend.

In addition to that, the next SS+ update bring some changes to the way the maximum fleet size is handled that may give Scyan fleets a tiny advantage.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 02, 2016, 03:37:30 PM »

That's not exactly how it work: the ships do not consume their monthly cost while recovering CR, that make the relative importance of Deployment cost and Monthly cost highly dependent on your CR recovery and repair rate, and tend to make the deployment cost more important. But that's why the difference with vanilla is twice as pronounced for the monthly cost than for the Deployment cost.

If on average a early game fleet get back to full CR in 4 days, not taking into account the individual ships repair rates and that they are often helped by stations repairs, given the difference between the new costs that means the fleet start to get more expensive than vanilla if you deploy ALL ships more often than every 19 days on average. If a mid game fleet needs 8 days, it becomes more expensive if you fight more than every 23 days. Those average are not that easy to reach: as soon as you start traveling in hyper to hunt bounties, you can very well deploy far less often than that. That makes the early game a bit easier because of the reduced cost, while encouraging even more than vanilla to not over-deploy. And late games the supplies are less of a concern anyway.

Also when I say "above vanilla", I'm talking about the cost of a ship of similar tier. And Scyan ships are not very high tier.
All good points. I didn't know that ships don't consume their monthly cost while recovering CR, thank you for correcting my math.

So these changes are intended to make the early game easier and help teach good habits to new players? I'm on board with that.

That is of no consequence because as you said the repartitions of deployment points between both sides is made after the relative strength of their fleets (calculated from their deployment cost), meaning while the Scyan ships need 10% more point to deploy the same amount of ships, the fleet also get 10% more points to spend.

In addition to that, the next SS+ update bring some changes to the way the maximum fleet size is handled that may give Scyan fleets a tiny advantage.
Yes, but the division is capped at 40%/60%. That is, if one fleet (or set of fleets) outsizes the other by a massive amount, the larger fleet still won't get more than 60% of the total DP. So if a player is, for example, fighting off multiple vengeance fleets, an extremely rare situation but still one that occasionally happens, there will be slightly fewer enemy ships in the battlespace at a time if the vengeance fleets are Scy.

Like I said, a very lategame issue and it'll only ever be about 1 to 2 destroyers worth of ships, depending on what the player has set their maximum battle size to.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Scy V0.99d (03/04/2016)
« Reply #854 on: April 03, 2016, 07:03:39 AM »

DOWNLOAD
REQUIREMENT
Mod:

Compatible with LazyWizard's Version Checker.
Compatible with Histidine's Nexerelin and Corvus mode.
Integrated with Dark.Revenant's Starsector+
LazyWizard's

Debido's

Mostly maintenance patch, with two important bits attached:
First the Prism Freeport now sells a consistent number of weapons/ships, and defeated IBBs ships with SS+. Both Scy's old Freeport and the version in Nexerelin have been updated to match each other. They both now have a ship blacklist usable by other modders should they decide some of their content mustn't be available in there.

Second, I'm trying some changes in the way Scyan ships consume supplies: they are now slightly more expensive to deploy than their Vanilla counterpart, but are cheaper to maintain monthly. That should make the early game where you do not battle that often easier, while incentivizing the deployment of just the needed resources to win a fight later on.

In addition to that, most of the Burn speed changes from the previous version have been reverted due to the balance issues they caused.

This update should NOT break any save.

CHANGELOG
Spoiler
v0.99d

BALANCING:

- Experimental cost balancing:
   . The ships cost slightly more than vanilla to deploy (around +10%).
   . But their maintenance is lower (around -20%).
   . Removed the High-Maintenance hull-mod on the armored ships, but unlike the non armored designs their maintenance is the same as their deployment cost.

- Hacking Commlink:
   . Reduced it's efficiency against shielded targets from 100 emp dps to 75,
   . Efficiency against unshielded targets unchanged at 200 emp + 100 High-Explosive dps.
   . Missile hacking delay raised from 0.5s on average to 1s.
 - Previous burn buff removed for most ships. Combat speed changes maintained.
 - Megaera phase frigate:
   . Scout Teleporter delay raise to 20s from 12.
 - Telchine miner ship:
   . Drone system now has 20 charges from 16 but no recharge from 10s.
 - Keto Siege Carrier:
   . Shield efficiency raised to 1.5 flux/dmg from 1.9

BUGFIXES/IMPROVEMENT:

- Prism Freeport:
   . Fully reworked cargo calculation, less random in amounts and stocks renewal,
   . Defeated IBB can now sometimes be available for purchase. (similar to Nexerelin's version)
   . Implemented ships and weapons blacklists (located in data/config/prism/), usable by other mods too. "Joke" or otherwise non-player ships will no longer be available.

- Erymanthian Boar Armored:
   . Side armors now properly fire their weapons.
 - Hacking Commlink:
   . Corrected the description to properly describe the scripted effect.
 - Mission Hot Trail:
   . Corrected a behavior error.
[close]

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 98