Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1097580 times)

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Scy V0.99 Better ORION Artillery. (29/02/2016)
« Reply #765 on: March 02, 2016, 02:16:36 AM »

So, I once declared that Scy 1.0 would be the release I updated all the sprites to a higher quality bar than the current one. (was it really two years ago already Oo?) And since I'm seriously running out of version numbers, I suppose I really have to get it done now. Problem is, I'm not sure what the extend of the change should be... I tried a lot of things and it mostly came down to this two contenders:

Spoiler
[close]

One rule though, don't ask for something "in-between" those two: it doesn't work at all as they have contradictory aspects and techniques, and it would take as much work as doing both of them so this is a big no-way.

So, which one do you guys prefer?
I prefer bash, it fits perfect with vanilla art style, and why don't you start  a poll instead?
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 02, 2016, 02:23:02 AM »

Pimp, hands down.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 02, 2016, 03:22:50 AM »

I'm rather torn, I quite like the current art style and think of how distinct it is as a feature, but a kitbash style is an exciting direction to take things in and I'd like to see more.
I think, somewhat reluctantly, that I'll cast my vote to keep to keep the current art style but refine it, and then encourage you to make and show off some kitbash versions if you want to, because I'm definitely interested in seeing what some of our favorite ships would look like in that style.
So both... T______T More seriously it matches pretty well my dillema.

Hands down way of the pimp imo. That bash example just doesnt even feel like a scy ship  :'(
Well, "not looking like a Scy ship" is the goal here. I was never really satisfied by the style, and the more years pass, the worse my I think they are. Also, I since became quite proeficient at matching vanilla with only light kitbashing and it pains me that my main mod is so far from what I can do.

;D nice work.I prefer  the pimp.The way of bash doesn't look like a ship,but something like a platform or else.
I'll take that as a compliment since that fits the ship's description... But I do hear the concern, that's what I meant by a "lack of personality".

I prefer bash, it fits perfect with vanilla art style, and why don't you start  a poll instead?
Two reasons: First I can't setup a poll in a poll-less thread without the help of a moderator. Second, because ultimately I get to choose. I'm looking more for a general feeling rather than a precise count, for example if most people have a tiny preference for option one but a few hate it with a passion, I might opt for the second style to avoid completely alienating some players.

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 02, 2016, 03:59:05 AM »

I'm rather torn, I quite like the current art style and think of how distinct it is as a feature, but a kitbash style is an exciting direction to take things in and I'd like to see more.
I think, somewhat reluctantly, that I'll cast my vote to keep to keep the current art style but refine it, and then encourage you to make and show off some kitbash versions if you want to, because I'm definitely interested in seeing what some of our favorite ships would look like in that style.
So both... T______T More seriously it matches pretty well my dillema.

Hands down way of the pimp imo. That bash example just doesnt even feel like a scy ship  :'(
Well, "not looking like a Scy ship" is the goal here. I was never really satisfied by the style, and the more years pass, the worse my I think they are. Also, I since became quite proeficient at matching vanilla with only light kitbashing and it pains me that my main mod is so far from what I can do.

;D nice work.I prefer  the pimp.The way of bash doesn't look like a ship,but something like a platform or else.
I'll take that as a compliment since that fits the ship's description... But I do hear the concern, that's what I meant by a "lack of personality".

I prefer bash, it fits perfect with vanilla art style, and why don't you start  a poll instead?
Two reasons: First I can't setup a poll in a poll-less thread without the help of a moderator. Second, because ultimately I get to choose. I'm looking more for a general feeling rather than a precise count, for example if most people have a tiny preference for option one but a few hate it with a passion, I might opt for the second style to avoid completely alienating some players.

Well I definitely think the pimp style is best going forward, but you yourself said that the kitbashes are fun, so I'm just encouraging you to do that at your discretion if you enjoy it, because I'm certainly interested in the results.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 02, 2016, 05:37:02 AM »

I honestly prefer bash, but I wonder how the TWIGLib armor would look with it.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 02, 2016, 06:54:02 AM »

Honestly... None of them.

Don't mistake me, that pimp variant is very good, better than the original. That kitbashed one too, is impressive as well despite that strange Tri-tachyon feel. But i kinda like the old, functional and soulless SCY metal boxes.

It's true, it could be better, that dry aesthetic we're used to could be improved into something sexier. But SCY is already one of the best and most complete mods around, does it really needs that?

And more importantly, i'd be more hype about a campaign integration of Seeker first, even a basic one, than a lifting of SCY.

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 02, 2016, 06:56:16 AM »

I have to agree with Helmut, i like the original the most even though the pimp variant fits the starsector style more it doesn't make any big difference for me, the mod is complete in my eyes and i like the style and the look it has right now : )

BuckCake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 02, 2016, 07:10:17 AM »

I'm going to go with pimped, I like the rugged functionality of Scy compared to the organic, 3d-printed look of vanilla sprites.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 02, 2016, 07:39:37 AM »

I'm facing a similar dilemma with BRDY, and I've decided to slowly "pimp" the ships over time. Perhaps you could do something similar - a slightly hands-off approach that doesnt make the ships stand out in too much of a bad way compared to the old ones?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 02, 2016, 08:15:27 AM »

About the "Why do that now and not work on Seeker?" I have a good reason:

I want to 'finish' Scy. That is to add the last 2 ships, and then only maintain the mod. I've been tending to do that recently while focussing my efforts on Diable with FlashFrozen: No major content updates, only adjustements. (And btw, Diable will probably soon enter that phase too)

But to finish it, Scy needs maps for ShaderLib. And I'm not going to do that if all the ships are going to change. So here I am, one last step left to be done with it, but a big one. And I'd like to take it soon.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 02, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »

In that case, I think you should do a mix of updating the sprites and bashing in or imitating vanilla stuff "where it counts", eg. to make them blend in more. Straight up bashing is a waste of the vision you already laid down for the faction.

SpaceRiceBowl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 02, 2016, 10:48:27 AM »

For some reason, the Orion artillery has nearly 300 shots per minute for me.
I really don't know what I'm doing...

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 02, 2016, 11:36:43 AM »

For some reason, the Orion artillery has nearly 300 shots per minute for me.
Did I misplaced a number at the last minute? Yes I did, good job me!

In that case, I think you should do a mix of updating the sprites and bashing in or imitating vanilla stuff "where it counts", eg. to make them blend in more. Straight up bashing is a waste of the vision you already laid down for the faction.
One rule though, don't ask for something "in-between" those two: it doesn't work at all as they have contradictory aspects and techniques, and it would take as much work as doing both of them so this is a big no-way.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #778 on: March 02, 2016, 12:41:08 PM »

Do pimped, but make it look more like bashed, and also can you add cutie marks to all of the ships? Oh, and make sure everything is done at 2x resolution so you can zoom in on the ship without it looking blurry :).

Spoiler
Kill me.
[close]

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 02, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »

If you have  to change it, pimp looks better imo than bash, but I personally kinda liked the original style. Perhaps something in between pimp and the original?

I think my main problems with pimp are the loss of the paint-job and the rounded roof; which while fancy seems to change the feel of the ship.

Bash meanwhile feels like an entirely different faction, you went from boxes to curves and while both are awesome in their own way the faction itself has already established itself as being rather boxy. It brings to mind images of a person walking into a barber shop, and an utterly different person walking back out claiming to be the same person.

Why not both?
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 98