Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1097618 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] Scy V0.97 New Manticore Carrier, balance tweaks (11/09/2015)
« Reply #630 on: November 09, 2015, 01:11:38 PM »

More weapon comments:
"Converted Heavy EMB" is not bad per se, but part of the reason to use ballistics (over energy) is long range and possibly specialized damage types when advantageous.  Hellbore, HAG, and Mjolnir are already great weapons, and some of the Scy ships have good enough flux stats to make Storm Needler really shine.  It takes something powerful or unique to displace the good standard ballistic options.  For example, Heavy Kacc is Gauss Cannon's concentrated kinetic damage on a budget - great for overloading and paralyzing ships.  Area Scorcher could theoretically be the ballistic's answer to Guardian PD (if it had PD tag), offering something none of the standard ballistics do.  Ricohet and ORION are exotic weapons that may not be the best, but perform well enough to be useful for those who attempt trick shots.  The only thing CHEMB might do is offer high burst damage on the cheap, but if you have enough anti-shield firepower, then stock HE weapons or Mjolnir are more effective.

Tried the hacking beam weapon.  If the weapon could be judged only by its Codex stats, who in their right mind would use it?  It offered some surprises.  One, the beam does hard flux damage!  Not much, but some.  Two, if the beam connects, it seems to randomize the hit location (or spawn a secondary invisible attack on the target).  Anything with less than 360 shields will take damage and/or suffer shutdowns.  The only other weapon I have seen do this was the Raven missile from the (dead) Gedune faction mod.  This weapon is effective against most frigates and some destroyers, and it offers passable PD.  It is not that great against fighter wings or bigger ships.  Overall, this weapon is not too bad, but I prefer the more versatile Vibrating Beam over this.

More ship comments:
Found a few more ships the game did not want to cough up when I first played Scy:

Megaera is like a ghost, and it feels like a mini-Hyperion.  Only one fixed hardpoint, but given what it has, it can perform alright and not care much about no PD.  It is a useful playership.  Have not tested this under AI control.

Siren is novel, if not very powerful.  It seems to be based around clever use of its main gun, rather than beating the enemy quickly.

Sthenos is Spartan - minimal but effective.  Gauss Cannon, two Heavy Maulers, and your choice of small ballistic PD is simple yet brutally effective (at kiting, at least).  Armored adds two more beamers, unarmored is a speed demon.  As a playership, I prefer the unarmored version for its speed.  (Armored version has too low burn speed to be practical.)  It is one of the few Scy ships I would not mind integrating with my fleet of high-powered ships.

Khalkotauroi would be a fun ship to use, but its six fragile capacitors is too much of a weakness to tolerate when looking for powerful ships to use.

The rest of the cruisers seem okay, but nothing special.

One thing I forgot about the Nemean Lion battle fortress: lack of burn speed.  I did not realize (at first) it had a base burn of 1.  Combined with no Augmented Engines, it is very, very slow!  I would not use this ship at all in the campaign unless an enemy fleet was right on top of my storage.  It is fun to use in the simulator, though, just to see what it can do.

I tried Precision Gears on the Lamia some more, and while Gears lets the Lamia play a mean kiting game, slower fire rate means peak performance becomes a bigger problem.  Lamia is not that bad of a ship, just not very fun to use for some reason (probably due to competition like Enforcer or Medusa).

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] Scy V0.98 DEV Trimming time (13/11/2015)
« Reply #631 on: November 13, 2015, 02:14:35 AM »

Require Debido's TwigLib.
Require LazyWizard's LazyLib.
Compatible with Histidine's Nexerelin, including Corvus mode.
Integrated to Dark.Revenant's Starsector+

Not save compatible!

I'm releasing my current dev because why not (and because Starsector's update is still out of sight). It was meant to be released after 0.7, there is enough changes that it isn't compatible with saves and may create odd behavior with SS+ (not sure about that one though). It still works perfectly with Nexerelin however.

Changelog:
Spoiler
Code
v0.98

NEW CONTENT
 - Replaced all the "Assault Shield" ship-systems by the new "Engine Jump-start" system:
   . Allows to instantly restart your flamed out engine.
   . Only one charge with a long cool-down.
   . Can fail at low CR.
   . Applied to the Manticores cruisers, Armored Stheno, Orthrus, Balius freighter/tanker and Lealaps frigate.
 - Replaced the Burst Nailer with... a much angrier Burst Nailer:
   . 8 shots clip of buckshot fury that can be unloaded in under 4seconds.
   . Very high burst FRAG damage but long reload time and anemic range.
   . Do NOT point on self!

REMOVED CONTENT
 - Medusa frigate: redundant name, extremely specialized use with little reward.
 - Lamia Prototype: old design.
 - Orthrus Advanced: overpowered.
 - Manticore Carrier extended: redundant.
 - Nemean Lion Unfinished: useless.

BALANCING
 - Most Scyan ships now have OMNI shields.
 - Reduced the "Scyan Engineering" hull-mod buff to the engines health and repair rate to 25% from 50%.
 - Standard Orthrus has now the Secondary Thrusters hull-mod.
 - Reduced the turn speed and turn acceleration of all ships by roughly 50/40/30/20%. (still above vanilla afterward!)
 - Reduced the turning damping of the "Secondary Thrusters" ship-system to -75%, from -90%.
 - Stymphalian Bird frigate: Raised the amount of OP from 40 to 45, raised it's flush flux ability when venting in Overcharge mode.
 - Minor OP reduction for the non-combat ships, variants adjusted.
 - Most beams weapons now have a growing speed matching vanilla.
 - Converted Heavy ENB:
   . Ammo raised to 18 from 9,
   . Regeneration rate reduced to 20 ammo/min from 30,
   . OP reduced to 18 from 20,
   . Slightly raised it's precision,
   . Raised it's turn rate to 10 deg/s from 5.
 - Heavy ENB: raised it's turn rate to 7 deg/s from 5.
 - SCPB: raised the ammo to 4 from 3.
 - Manticore Swarm missiles:
   . Damage reduced to 200 Kinetic per missile from 300,
   . Increased range by 20% to 3000,
   . Reload in 6 missiles clips,
   . Removed the energy cost to fire.
 - Manticore MIRV:
   . Re-written the deployment script to ensure most sub-shots will actually hit the target,
   . Subshots damage raised to 300 from 200,
   . Removed the energy cost to fire.
 - Manticore Phase:
   . Missile damage raised to 3000 Energy from 2000,
   . Reloads in 8 seconds from 5.
 - Pierce Railgun:
   . Now fire 10 bullets instead of 5.
   . Damage per bullet reduced to 100 from 200. (burst DPS maintained).
   . Ammo reduced to 6 shots from 10.
   . Clip regen slightly reduced at 12 sec from 10.
   . Flux per shot raised to 1750 from 1400. (still slightly more efficient than the average Scyan weapon)
   . OP cost raised to 16 from 14.
 - Medium KAcc:
   . Damage per shot reduced to 450 from 500.
   . Flux per shot reduced to 750 from 875.
   . OP cost reduced to 10 from 11.
 - Large KAcc:
   . Damage per shot reduced to 450 from 550.
   . Flux per shot reduced to 1500 from 2000.
   . OP cost reduced to 20 from 21.
 - Singularity Torpedo:
   . Raised the pull effect against non-fighters entities 4 times, and 2 times for Fighters.
   . Smoothed out the falloff range
   . Raised the range at which fighters get flamed out to 400 from 200.
 - Rockets:
   . Raised their damage from Medium sized launchers to 300 from 250.
   . Raised their damage from Large sized launchers to 350 from 250.
   . Reduced the cool-down of the Pod launchers by 2 seconds.
 - Coasting Missiles:
   . Raised their damage from Medium sized launchers to 800 from 750.
   . Raised their damage from Large sized launchers to 850 from 750.
 - Laser Torpedoes:
   . Improved the detonation range calculation. (explode closer to ships with their shield down)
   . Reduced the damage of the Large ones to 3600 from 5000.
   . Reduced the damage of the Medium ones to 3300 from 4000.

BUGFIXES/IMPROVEMENTS
 - Fixed an issue with the Nemean Lion's system allowing regenerating weapons to reload more ammo than their maximum.
 - Minor graphic update for the Anti-missiles.
 - Graphic update for the SCPB beam.
 - Improved missiles AI:
   . Benefit a lot more from ECCM.
   . Closer to vanilla flight pattern.
   . Better target selection when the launching ship doesn't have one.
   . Much better precision for the anti-missiles.
 - Completely rewrote the Slasher Beam to fix a recurrent issue where it wouldn't slash on fast turning ships.
 - Randomized the starting position of the Miniguns' barrels, added some minor random variations in their spin-up and spin-down rates.
 - Rewritten all the hull-mods descriptions with actual numbers instead of adjectives.
 - Prevented an issue occurring when the Telchine's beam dealt the last hit on very high HP targets.
 - Corrected a mistake that made the Erymantian Boar's dish rotate extremely slowly.
 - Adjusted some erroneous collision radii, especially with Twig ships.
 - Somewhat reworked the missions that were balanced for a much earlier version of the mod.
[close]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:48:25 AM by Tartiflette »

Pengu1n

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 18, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »

REMOVED CONTENT
 - Medusa frigate: redundant name, extremely specialized use with little reward.
 - Lamia Prototype: old design.
 - Orthrus Advanced: overpowered.
 - Manticore Carrier extended: redundant.
 - Nemean Lion Unfinished: useless.

Would suggest removing the ship variant definitions that reference these ships as well, as they were crashing my game until I read the logs closely enough.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 18, 2015, 11:54:26 PM »

But........ I did?? ??? Did you removed completely the old mod folder before extracting the new one? Also, did you reset/deleted your missions variants? Those don't go away automatically and could be crashing your game.

Anyway, I found a couple of minor issues on my end, so DEV 2:

Require Debido's TwigLib.
Require LazyWizard's LazyLib.
Compatible with Histidine's Nexerelin, including Corvus mode.
Integrated to Dark.Revenant's Starsector+

Not save compatible with 0.97!

Pengu1n

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 19, 2015, 11:10:05 PM »

But........ I did?? ??? Did you removed completely the old mod folder before extracting the new one? Also, did you reset/deleted your missions variants? Those don't go away automatically and could be crashing your game.

[list of the offending variant files in the 0.98 Dev1 version of the mod, filenames changed to prevent their loading...]

MacBook-Pro:SCY user$ find . -iname '*.nope'
./data/variants/SCY_lamiaPrototype_standard.variant.nope
./data/variants/SCY_manticoreCarrierEx_recon.variant.nope
./data/variants/SCY_manticoreCarrierEx_veteran.variant.nope
./data/variants/SCY_medusa_recon.variant.nope
./data/variants/SCY_medusa_veteran.variant.nope
./data/variants/SCY_nemeanLion_prototype.variant.nope
./data/variants/SCY_orthrusStandard_combat.variant.nope
./data/variants/SCY_orthrusStandard_elite.variant.nope
./data/variants/SCY_orthrusStandard_recon.variant.nope
./data/variants/SCY_orthrusStandard_veteran.variant.nope

[After removing the mod directory and re-extracting the 0.98 Dev1 archive. Using the Medusa as an example...]

MacBook-Pro:SCY user$ find . -iname '*medusa*'
./data/hulls/SCY_medusa.ship
./data/variants/SCY_medusa_recon.variant
./data/variants/SCY_medusa_veteran.variant

Not sure what's going on here. In any case, the files aren't present in 0.98 Dev2, so I'm not going to spend any more time wondering about it.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 20, 2015, 01:59:51 PM »

Well, good news is I have Scy up and running in 0.7

Bad news is that there is a blocking bug in the game that prevent using armored ships. That will certainly be corrected in the 0.7.1 patch, but in the meantime, Scy isn't playable at all. :(

SpaceRiceBowl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 20, 2015, 02:29:32 PM »

Damn, was really looking to face the armored behemoth that is the cap ship against the new hegemony elite onslaught.  :(
I really don't know what I'm doing...

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 20, 2015, 02:37:02 PM »

With the new update, how with Tartarus move around the map?  Will it be positioned in specific spots in hyperspace (like the more open areas, like the usual systems are), or could it land in the middle of a nebula?  Or will it even move at all?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 20, 2015, 02:47:33 PM »

I think in a first time I'll let it completely random. I kinda like the idea that you may need to wait for a storm to calm before reaching the system (given the numerous access, it's unlikely all would be locked at once). If that's too tedious, I'll make a (long) list of possible emplacements and a script that choose one randomly each time.

On the other hand, it will probably allow me to make a nice release directly, instead of a stop-gap compatibility update first. I have some plans to use the detection stuff, and the terrains. Plus I'd love to expand a bit some texts here and there. (and there still that old plan for the final V1.0 I announced long ago and hope to finish soon-ish) ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:13:24 PM by Tartiflette »

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 20, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »

So how is System Override going to work on Scy ships? They really don't need the speed boost, and the no venting would be more of a liability (at least among the frigates). I'm guessing you won't be able to install it.

Also how is Scy going to apply to sensors? Are they just going to have less sensor profile (due to the whole stealthy thing)?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 20, 2015, 03:34:36 PM »

(That screenshot looks really cool.)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 20, 2015, 04:02:40 PM »

Indeed it does - it gives it the perspective that the nearby sun is in the distance - not like the top-down view, but a long ways back into space. :)

I guess the Scy ships would have a shorter detection range, but in return might have less sensor strength to balance it out.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 20, 2015, 04:05:15 PM »

So how is System Override going to work on Scy ships? They really don't need the speed boost, and the no venting would be more of a liability (at least among the frigates). I'm guessing you won't be able to install it.
As you said, between the no-vent being a liability, the doubled dissipation that don't help much given low base, the shorter peak time, and the high OP cost on ship that don't have much room, I think I'll do nothing: It's just a bad idea to use it so no point in preventing its use.

Also how is Scy going to apply to sensors? Are they just going to have less sensor profile (due to the whole stealthy thing)?
I have a few ideas, but the one that I think I'll try first is to have the ships engines more detectable. Stay still and you get slightly stealthier, but run around at full burn and you are bright as a star. Also they might get influenced a bit more by terrains, in both good and bad.

(That screenshot looks really cool.)
Thanks! I have to say, my static corona texture is far prettier with your animated one on top.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 20, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »

That engine-sensor mechanic sounds awesome. Can't wait to play Starsector borderlands again!

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 20, 2015, 04:49:08 PM »

I hope we get a working version of scy soon. My fleet won't be the same without scyan miniguns.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 98