Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1097481 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] Scy V0.97 New Manticore Carrier, balance tweaks (11/09/2015)
« Reply #600 on: November 01, 2015, 02:08:13 PM »

Heh, it's been a while since someone struggled to find their planet ^^ All I'll say is, just follow the fleets...
Speaking of that planet, it isn't absolutely necessary to have it hidden now that I changed the lore, maybe I'll change that in the future.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:28:23 AM by Tartiflette »

Namelessjake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 02, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »

The best way I found to find the planet is to store everything but a single fast ship and tail the fleets home. Just make sure you're quick enough to outrun them if you get too close.

Flying_Whale

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 03, 2015, 07:38:28 AM »

Sorry Flying_Whale, I removed this to avoid spoilers.
-G
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:29:43 AM by Gothars »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 03, 2015, 08:20:10 AM »

Flying_Whale, could you remove that message? Everyone is avoiding to reveal the trick and I'd like to keep it that way!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:21:51 AM by Tartiflette »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 03, 2015, 08:33:43 AM »

I feel like it's a lot easier than one would think.  When I first found it, it was the first thing I tried because it was so out of place compared to the normal vanilla systems.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 05, 2015, 03:18:24 PM »

Jumped through hoops to get Scy running; details unimportant, because you want feedback, which will not be much for now due to limited time played.

* Scy needs more memory than standard.  It loads on my computer, but about ten to twenty seconds later, it freezes (probably due to lack of memory) and I need to terminate Starsector.  So far, I got around this problem by loading the game in dev mode, but no fullscreen and no sound are bummers.  At least it is playable in dev mode.  I did not load any other mods aside from the required libraries.  It might be helpful to update the OP with memory requirements.

* The dark blue color used by Scy makes the text very hard to read and hard to find Scy units on the map.  The color should be brighter.

* I only tried two weapons so far...
Double Rockets:  At least they track better than Harpoons, and cost less OP (at least until 0.7a).  Not fond of low total damage, but at least it is reliable.
Light Kacc:  Probably more effective than light dual AC due to better accuracy and shot damage.  Not as much range.

More comments after I play more.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 05, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »

* The dark blue color used by Scy makes the text very hard to read and hard to find Scy units on the map.  The color should be brighter.
It's designed like that.  The Scy in lore are supposed to be hard to detect, but since there's no current way to accomplish that, Tartiflette has made them hard to see on the campaign map.  I believe he said he'll have a 99% chance of changing that to be more visible once the 0.7a update hits with sensors and such.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 05, 2015, 03:23:54 PM »

I run Blackrock, Radar, Nexerelin with default universe settings (and sometimes a bit more), SCY, StarSector Plus, Templars, and Tiandong with 1,300MB of heap space on a 32bit OS. I can't imagine you're out of memory with just SCY unless you're using the default vmparams settings. Starsector.log will tell you either what the problem is or the last thing trying to load when it stops. Other than that, there shouldn't be any hoops to jump through besides installing the prerequisite mods.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 05, 2015, 03:50:32 PM »

Part of the "hoops" involved getting spare hardware and a new version of 7-zip (when an older version I had didn't work) before I can get unlock Scy.  Then more hoops when I had trouble running Scy with the bare necessities.  No need to go into more gory details.

Dark blue text is like an interface screw.  I can clearly see the text and blue, but the dark color makes it a real pain to read.  I know the stuff is there, but trying to discern details is frustrating when I strain my eyes trying to read what I know is there.

P.S. The dark color persists at the market too, so trying to browse the market is a pain too!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 03:52:52 PM by Megas »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 05, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »

I run Blackrock, Radar, Nexerelin with default universe settings (and sometimes a bit more), SCY, StarSector Plus, Templars, and Tiandong with 1,300MB of heap space on a 32bit OS. I can't imagine you're out of memory with just SCY unless you're using the default vmparams settings. Starsector.log will tell you either what the problem is or the last thing trying to load when it stops. Other than that, there shouldn't be any hoops to jump through besides installing the prerequisite mods.
Agreed with OOZ here as I run a much similar mod list (no SCY but Exi, Shadowyards and Neutrino) on the default 1024 settings with a crap integrated card. Also, SS has a tendency to freeze at the beginning (at least with me) because of the shear list of mods and info. You can see if it is truely loading by either opening the log file in baretail (with follow tail checked) or by looking at the java.exe's memory usage in Task Manager. If it is going up then that means that it is loading. (Although this might be for me only as my comp has a potato for a GFX card
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 05, 2015, 04:03:34 PM »

SCY is bigger than most faction mods, the only mods I have that's bigger is SS+ and Ironclads. So yeah, the bigger it is, the longer the load time.

To change the color, open up SCY/data/world/factions/Scy.factions file with a text editor and change the color entry.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 05, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »

Clarification:  SCY loads fine, and I see the Starsector title screen.  However, as I browse the Codex or try to test drive stuff in the simulator, the game freezes.  These problems do not occur when I load the game in devmode instead.

At least SCY loads even without devmode.  Other mods like Valkyrians and maybe a few others I cannot remember now cannot fully load and never make it to the title screen.

To change the color, open up SCY/data/world/factions/Scy.factions file with a text editor and change the color entry.
Don't tempt me!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 05, 2015, 04:12:26 PM »

Jumped through hoops to get Scy running; details unimportant, because you want feedback, which will not be much for now due to limited time played.
For what it's worth me saying it, I appreciate it.

* Scy needs more memory than standard.  It loads on my computer, but about ten to twenty seconds later, it freezes (probably due to lack of memory) and I need to terminate Starsector.  So far, I got around this problem by loading the game in dev mode, but no fullscreen and no sound are bummers.  At least it is playable in dev mode.  I did not load any other mods aside from the required libraries.  It might be helpful to update the OP with memory requirements.
Not a bat idea, the next version will have a bit less content but that won't make a huge difference (and I plan for more anyway ><)

* The dark blue color used by Scy makes the text very hard to read and hard to find Scy units on the map.  The color should be brighter.
It's designed like that.  The Scy in lore are supposed to be hard to detect, but since there's no current way to accomplish that, Tartiflette has made them hard to see on the campaign map.  I believe he said he'll have a 99% chance of changing that to be more visible once the 0.7a update hits with sensors and such.
And indeed it's the case in my Dev. They will have a color super close to what IFed had, for added nostalgia.

[...]Dark blue text is like an interface screw.  I can clearly see the text and blue, but the dark color makes it a real pain to read.  I know the stuff is there, but trying to discern details is frustrating when I strain my eyes trying to read what I know is there.

P.S. The dark color persists at the market too, so trying to browse the market is a pain too!
Well, if you are willing to hop one last hoop, I'm linking the file with the color I'm using right now. Just extract it on top of the SCY folder and it will override just the faction file.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 05, 2015, 07:46:32 PM »

Still playing Scy; have not seen everything.  Here are a few powerful standouts I noticed so far.

* Lightweight Armor(?) hullmod:  For a player who can kite with long-range weapons, avoid taking hits, and has Damage Control 10 (for hull regeneration), this is an extremely powerful hullmod.  Best in a chain-flagship fleet, where the player intends to pilot every ship in the fleet one-at-a-time.  Possibly not so good for AI and fleet actions because cannot AI kite like the player to make the armor penalty worth it.

* Piercing Railgun:  This is like a super kinetic AM-blaster for the purpose of overloading shields.  It is easy to overload the AI with two or more of these then finish it off with something.  Damage it does to armor and hull is not too shabby either.  Probably too strong.

* Heavy EMB:  Not overpowered per se, but probably underpriced for what it does, despite awful accuracy.  This is much like a plasma cannon that trades accuracy for much cheaper OP cost.  Probably worth more than 20 OP, but perhaps comparable to the ballistics' Mjolnir (which has less DPS, but better accuracy, flux cost, and range).  This is a heavy weapon I would gladly use instead of Heavy Blaster if I have OP to spare.  For a heavy universal, I might pick Mjolnir over this, but maybe not.

Will post more if I find more to comment on.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 06, 2015, 12:17:52 AM »

* Lightweight Armor(?) hullmod:  For a player who can kite with long-range weapons, avoid taking hits, and has Damage Control 10 (for hull regeneration), this is an extremely powerful hullmod.  Best in a chain-flagship fleet, where the player intends to pilot every ship in the fleet one-at-a-time.  Possibly not so good for AI and fleet actions because cannot AI kite like the player to make the armor penalty worth it.
Mmh, indeed it is. My first instinct would be to add a CR reduction as well, but that doesn't sounds logical... Unless I justifies it by saying the stronger acceleration strain the hardware a lot more? Maybe that would suffice?

* Piercing Railgun:  This is like a super kinetic AM-blaster for the purpose of overloading shields.  It is easy to overload the AI with two or more of these then finish it off with something.  Damage it does to armor and hull is not too shabby either.  Probably too strong.
It's main limitation is the limited ammo before having to reload. I could look into reducing the regen and force installing expanded magazines to use it to it's full potential. It's flux/dps ratio is also much lower than the usual Scyan weapon while still having a decent range; I need to correct that. Finally, I should probably reduce the armor penetration.

* Heavy EMB:  Not overpowered per se, but probably underpriced for what it does, despite awful accuracy.  This is much like a plasma cannon that trades accuracy for much cheaper OP cost.  Probably worth more than 20 OP, but perhaps comparable to the ballistics' Mjolnir (which has less DPS, but better accuracy, flux cost, and range).  This is a heavy weapon I would gladly use instead of Heavy Blaster if I have OP to spare.  For a heavy universal, I might pick Mjolnir over this, but maybe not.
This one's tricky, because the armor penetration is a big liability compared to the Plasma Cannon. I could lower the Flux/dps ratio though, for a supposedly cheap alternative weapon it's really efficient.

Thank you, so far having a new pair of eyes to look over the balance has been insightful.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 98