Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1097689 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Scy V0.5 [28/07] Weapons and Fighters!
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2014, 09:30:17 AM »

and an other one incoming:
Spoiler
[close]
Before you ask, the effect is proportional the the mass of the target, in this case it's pretty extreme. Had it hit a frigate and only the closest fighters would have been pulled.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2014, 10:03:15 AM »

Love it  :D
I'm guessing that will be pretty effective at taking out those pesky PD drones that are always shooting down my missiles? Does the effect apply if it hits shields?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2014, 10:17:55 AM »

Nope, that's the trick, it need to connect with the hull to generate the effect. I'll write some technobable about how this device multiply the mass of a ship several times for an instant.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2014, 10:23:25 AM »

Probably for the best. That makes sense for both balance and lore. So much for my dreams of easily marginalizing Astrals though.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2014, 10:41:59 AM »

Good lord, I think those PD drones will become the bane of the mothership - they're like asteroids pummeling a planet. o.O
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2014, 10:57:31 AM »

Cool!  :D

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »

Everything get attracted, ships, fighters, drones, missiles and asteroids... And no it isn't specifically designed to fight against Exigency or Interstellar Imperium missile spam... Nope... Not at all. It's totally not that.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2014, 12:34:53 PM »

Oh man, that's awesome.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »

And chalk another one:

Spoiler
[close]

Only some minor corrections left (yes I know that the missile vanish just before launch) and probably some heavy optimization in the script are in order.Scratch that, thanks to Silentstormpt's and Dark Revenant's directions, I was able to speed it up 10 times or more, and get an even better look. But overall I'm happy with this one. It's not a weapon that will win the war, but it can give a serious edge if rightly used.
The last missile weapon left to do was supposed to be a modular version of the Tisiphone anti missiles, but I'm not sure anymore. I'd like to make something that could give Lealapses some fighting power beyond sucker punch attacks on enemies already disabled.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:06:49 PM by Tartiflette »

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2014, 11:57:40 AM »

Holy. That's incredible. I didn't think something like that was possible.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2014, 07:14:28 PM »

Yeah, these new weapons are really cool. Too bad they cost so much to mount and are short lived in ammo.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:11 PM »

Yeah, they are costly to mount, but Scy ships have a lot of OP for few weapon mounts: A 16 ordinance points weapon is for them almost the same thing as a 12 points weapon for a vanilla ship. They also often have a longer range than the basic Scy weapons. As for ammunition: if you put 4 of these emp missiles on a single Orthrus with missile rack (can get done with the default points, no skill involved) you get 40 missiles, or 20 salvos. Enough to cripple a tight group of ships during like 20 seconds. I'd say this is really powerful enough. I might even nerf them a bit.

Per design choice, most of Scy ships will be equipped with the "standard" weapons (auto nailers, KACC, HEMOR, rockets launchers, and probably Energy blaster) Those have a fair price, a fair amount of rounds, and cost fewer OP to mount. Then some of them will sport the much more fancy recent weapons. Those will be elite ships, meant to give an edge and keep players on their toes. I can tell you that in my playtests, those weapons gives a huge advantage if only for a short time: slashing beams can hit all engines at once, in a couple of shoots you are almost assured to flameout your target. The area scorcher is of no use against armored target, but it eat hull for breakfast, and kill fighters as they leave their hangar. The ricochet gun can get you rid of those annoying shielded frigates... So yes they come at a price and probably won't win the war for you with so few ammo, but they are certainly not to underestimate. Besides, they look great and are terribly fun to use!

That being said, there is always room for balance improvement and I'll keep an eye on it, but in this case I suspect I'd have to nerf them before increasing their ammo.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »

An unplanned weapon, but Arcibalde convinced me SS was cruely lacking a Gundam/Macross missile massacre weapon. Also, someone was complaining that the new weapons have too few ammo...  ::)
So here it is:

Spoiler
[close]

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Scy V0.6 [06/09] Guns. More guns... MORE GUNS!
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2014, 11:35:04 AM »

6 new weapons, some bits of polish on the previous stuff, new sounds courtesy of SniZupGun, and a vastly improved AI for the Anti-missiles:
Spoiler
[close]

ChangeLog
Spoiler
V0.6
06/09/2014

New weapons:
 - Heavy Modular Swarmer: 48 missiles burst launcher that target random nearby ships.
 - Singularity torpedo: on hull hit, every objects nearby get pulled to the epicenter. The heavier the hull, the stronger the effect
 - EMP Sweeper missiles: 2 missiles that can link their emp emitters and fry everything that stand between them
 - Vibrating Beam: small energy beam with an area of effect.
 - Ricochet gun: a large weapon with a dual stage ordinance, able to redirect itself toward the nearest target
 - Medium Slasher Beam: a beam weapon. That slash...

Vastly improved Anti-missile missile AI (one that actually works)
Improved engine script: the engines are no longer active while in refit screen.
Improved Area Scorcher script: the secondary explosions now occur in a wave.

Changed Area Scorcher stats a fair bit (more flux buildup, less damage)

New sound for the Energy blaster and Singularity effect, courtesy of SniZupGun
Improved Area Scorcher sound
[close]

[Edit]
If you downloaded it right after I posted this message and get an error on game launch, try grabbing it again. I made a typo, but uploded a corrected version.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:45:09 PM by Tartiflette »

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Scy V0.6 [06/09] Guns. More guns... MORE GUNS!
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »

Your work is great as usual. Missile spam!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 98