Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1097485 times)

nickelknight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Scy [02/06] small progress update
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »

so is it just me or does this mod not work for 6.2a....?

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Scy [02/06] small progress update
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2014, 01:22:32 PM »

so is it just me or does this mod not work for 6.2a....?
I don't see how you could be trying to play with this, considering it's not available yet. ???

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Scy [09/06] another small progress update
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2014, 01:32:06 AM »

Just updaded the OP with this week progress, not much stuff because of the animation tutorial I wrote (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8039.0), but still some highlights:

WEAPONS

and MOAR WEAPONS

And now, I must plunge in the mist of Java coding...

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »

I was wondering, what kind of playstyle we'll have to play them? Fast and aggressive like Pirates? Or more tactical, Tri-tachyons style?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »

For now I'm thinking a mix of both: very fast hit-and-run tactics at knife-fighter range, with low staying power.

Their weapons will be more damaging than vanilla, but have half the range, and the ships have fewer mounts so vanilla weapons will be less effective. They will have average frontal shields, high flux reserve but weak armor and no flux dissipation (with fast venting to compensate). Their turrets will have wide arcs and a strong focus point, but there will always be a spot less covered by big guns.

In addition I'm thinking to give them almost no CR deployment cost, but a constant degradation from the start witch imo is much more logical than a flat rate: when you obliterate 3 freighters in 20sec, you won't loose half of the CR of your flagship and hundreds of supplies. On the other hand, prolonged fights could make your ship you malfunction.... If only I can get rid of the alarm every few seconds!

This is only a idea right now, the untrustworthy AI could wreck it, or it could create too much micromanagement, or even could be not that fun to fly those ships... Anyway, we'll probably know soon enough.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Scy [16/06] slightly bigger update, with an "Early Access" realease
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2014, 04:15:41 PM »

Bump, because of updated OP, with a link for a very early version of Scy!
Enjoy some shiny, blinking ships and their animated weapons in two trial missions!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Scy V0.1 [23/06] CAMPAIGN realease + EXERELIN compatibility files
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2014, 01:23:51 AM »

UPDATE time:
CAMPAIGN realease, plus EXERELIN file available for the fine price of FREE!
Grab it right now and enjoy facing this new stealthy backstabbing sneaky faction!

Download==> http://goo.gl/fNcKxL

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »

I'm enjoying them so far. The only thing i'm confused about is the Assault variants.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2014, 03:07:42 PM »

Oups, I should have warned about this, they are for AI use only: Since players are always better at piloting than the AI, I gave the computer over powered variants with almost all the hullmods... Unfortunately the player can still load theses hullmods, but cannot make the most of them since the refitted ship will always have 0 additional flux vent and capacitors.

So yes, you can use them but it's cheating!

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »

Oups, I should have warned about this, they are for AI use only: Since players are always better at piloting than the AI, I gave the computer over powered variants with almost all the hullmods... Unfortunately the player can still load theses hullmods, but cannot make the most of them since the refitted ship will always have 0 additional flux vent and capacitors.

So yes, you can use them but it's cheating!
Huh, that's an interesting idea. I don't recall any other mod factions doing that.

I wonder how regular AI controlled ships will do against these OP variants.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2014, 11:37:20 PM »

They get blown up to bits! You can try to face them in the second mission: same fleets, but different loadouts. I had to nerf them because in the firsts tries, I could only get one or two frigates destroyed before all my ships get obliterated. Witch show how extremely powerful some hull mods are (and by extension, the technology skill tree).

<edit> I just found out that I forgot to modify the variants after my rough balancing of the ships data, gotta fix that...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:02:53 AM by Tartiflette »

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2014, 12:39:23 AM »

And so we come back to a well known phrase in the industry: the AI is dumb, and the only way to balance it against players is to give it an unfair advantage.
Personally, I don't mind.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2014, 01:38:05 AM »

The whole overpowered AI thing seems a bit silly. Why not just stack the odds against the player numerically in missions, and make the campaign balanced with everything else?

A few reasons why:
-Players are going to expect a certain number and configuration of ships to offer a certain level of challenge. It's going to be a very unpleasant surprise for players to come up against your ships for their first few games and get absolutely mauled by a pair of frigates.

-If your ships are dramatically more powerful than anything else, players will stay away from them unless they have a gigantic fleet (almost never). So a lot of players simply won't try to fight your bigger fleets. Your system will also become extra scary because the Scy people will steamroll everyone who's not them rather easily.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2014, 02:41:58 AM »

The whole overpowered AI thing seems a bit silly. Why not just stack the odds against the player numerically in missions, and make the campaign balanced with everything else?

Rest assured, Scy will never steamroll anyone, actually I want them to be rather weak compared to vanilla (they will take out some ships in their first strike, but if you can soak that, you will obliterate them).
The Assault variants are more powerfull than the standards ones, but the standards are weaker than vanilla ships in fleet battles.
Also the Scy Elites Fleets are extremely rare in the campaign, exept for the Rear guard that never leave Tartarus.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:44:25 AM by Tartiflette »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2014, 10:48:52 AM »

Haven't time to play that much the campaign with them but so far the hyper-aggressive fighting style is very apparent, good job on that.

The balance seems good, they are glass cannons, they hit outrageously hard but explode with just a mean stare. Their frigates, probably the scariest of the bunch, have very restrictive deployment timer, especially the Medusa with its monstrous EMP that can instagib entire fighter wings. Also they take forever to vent, if they can't crack open a ship in a single assault, they're in a very bad position.

I'm a bit surprised by their variants, lot of nailer boats, which i'm not really sure of their purpose. Work in progress maybe?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 98