Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1097558 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Scy [23/05]
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 07:05:34 AM »

The animations are amazing. Do you have them broken up into layers so you can easily turn them into decorative weapons for implementation?
Of course! Actually most of the effects are done via simple layers that I scale, move and fade, I don't know if you can do that in-game. If it is the case, I can really optimize the animation down to three or four static images and a tiny animated weapon.
In general, I work in a much more layered way than say David. As a mater of fact, if DarkRevenant implement spec maps in his shaderlib, I will be able to make them in no time. Or I can strip the armor to make a custom wreck with the interior visible...

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 09:45:14 AM »

This is really impressive. The style remind me of some kind of hybrid between Neutrinos and Hiigarans. Also, your animations are gorgeous, are you doing those on Photoshop?

Prepare your PM box by the way, i foresee a great flood of animation requests coming for you! ;D

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 10:18:41 AM »

@Helmut
Yep, everything has been done in photoshop, although it sometimes has been a chore.
As for inspiration, indeed I'm really influenced by Homeworld (my favorites spaceship designs, especially the unused ones) and I closely inspected FlashFrozen's ships in search of inspiration and spriting tricks.
I'm ready to give a hand at animating, I can also share some tips and tricks to animate faster... But like in every artistic craft, the motto could be "precise observation, careful preparation, strong patience, and the most important: self criticisms!"

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 10:36:43 AM »

I noticed that one of the ships is called the Medusa, which might get a bit confusing with the vanilla Medusa, I'm not sure you're aware, just thought I'd point it out.

Also that is probably the best animation I've ever seen on this entire forum, it looks amazing! Looking forward to seeing more, this seems to be shaping up VERY well

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 10:55:13 AM »

Yeah, I know. I only use mythological beasts names for my ships and only in relation with their intended role, and "medusa" is fitting too well to throw it away (you know, turning fleet that face her in useless lump of metal)... Since the Scy were isolated, I could argue that they didn't known the name was already used, but that would be bad game design.
If I recall right, Sthenos is also used by Blackrock, and I thought there was a third, maybe Lamia or Hydra, I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure that I already saw some ships sharing a vanilla name in other mods so I guess it's not a big problem.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »

yeah i noticed that name collision to,
since you use Medusa & her 2 other sister's name then why not change it to "gorgon" ?
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 11:28:14 AM »

Yeah, I know. I only use mythological beasts names for my ships and only in relation with their intended role, and "medusa" is fitting too well to throw it away (you know, turning fleet that face her in useless lump of metal)... Since the Scy were isolated, I could argue that they didn't known the name was already used, but that would be bad game design.
If I recall right, Sthenos is also used by Blackrock, and I thought there was a third, maybe Lamia or Hydra, I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure that I already saw some ships sharing a vanilla name in other mods so I guess it's not a big problem.

Well, way back when I made the ship I considered Shteno, but I changed it to "Stenos" (which is also like part of the latin name of a dolphin species, Steno Bredanensis, and latin animal names prop up everwhere in BRDY) so I wouldn't worry about that one.

SpaceRiceBowl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »

Jeebus, did this really just come out of the blue? Man the effort it must have took, and those animations!
I really don't know what I'm doing...

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »

Those ships are great.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 03:05:37 PM »

This is good stuff  :)

since you use Medusa & her 2 other sister's name then why not change it to "gorgon" ?
I second the motion.

I believe that the best way to recruit a coder is to prove that you're not an "idea" person but can deliver your part.
Wisdom.

I can't commit to anything, but feel free to pm me about scripting.

About the scripts you'll need:
Spoiler
Note to all: (If I'm wrong about anything below, please let me know)

Precision Gear - I don't think it's currently possible to give bonuses to specific weapons, so there's no way to only apply the effects to turrets.
EMP Nova - Shouldn't be too hard. You might want to make sure the AI never uses this while the (allied) player ship is in range.
Retro Boosters - Cool idea. Writing proper AI for it might be tough as there's no way to ask vanilla AI when it wants to disengage. I think it's doable though.
Overload - Hey! I'm planning to make something similar  :)
Drone Launcher - Sounds like you want custom behavior for these drones. Could take some work depending on what you want and how picky you are.
Active Electronic Warfare - You might have trouble convincing the enemy AI not to ignore the drones with their main weapons.
Drone Bays - I don't think ships can launch more than one type of drone. Might be able to bypass this with hackery.
Phase Teleporter Cannon - Awesome  :D
Emergency Thrusters - Might be difficult to make the ship move correctly while the engines are offline. I can't think of any good, clean ways to do this.
Missile Factory - Shouldn't be too much trouble.
[close]

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »

yeah i noticed that name collision to,
Because indeed I used her two sister's names? I agree I should change the name of my Medusa to gorgon, but then I would have to fin another name for the Stheno and Euryale... Sure it is a detail, but you may have noticed already, I don't like mismatched details.

(okay, I'll change the names, at least I will not have some clashes with Blackrock Driveyard ships)

Well, way back when I made the ship I considered Shteno, but I changed it to "Stenos" (which is also like part of the latin name of a dolphin species, Steno Bredanensis, and latin animal names prop up everwhere in BRDY) so I wouldn't worry about that one.
The one I didn't dare to use was Karkinos, since it is your main capital ship!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2014, 03:41:53 PM »

Precision Gear - I don't think it's currently possible to give bonuses to specific weapons, so there's no way to only apply the effects to turrets.
EMP Nova - Shouldn't be too hard. You might want to make sure the AI never uses this while the (allied) player ship is in range.
Retro Boosters - Cool idea. Writing proper AI for it might be tough as there's no way to ask vanilla AI when it wants to disengage. I think it's doable though.
Overload - Hey! I'm planning to make something similar  :)
Drone Launcher - Sounds like you want custom behavior for these drones. Could take some work depending on what you want and how picky you are.
Active Electronic Warfare - You might have trouble convincing the enemy AI not to ignore the drones with their main weapons.
Drone Bays - I don't think ships can launch more than one type of drone. Might be able to bypass this with hackery.
Phase Teleporter Cannon - Awesome  :D
Emergency Thrusters - Might be difficult to make the ship move correctly while the engines are offline. I can't think of any good, clean ways to do this.
Missile Factory - Shouldn't be too much trouble.

I believe most of my ideas have already been implemented in various mods, or I saw something approaching.

Precision gear: I don't need to apply this only to turrets since the ship only has turrets! (Am I clever...) And FlashFrozen already did exactly that with his Maul.

Drone Launcher: I'm pretty sure I saw that someone made a missile weapon that launches drones, so I don't worry much for this one.

Overlord: It's the one I'm worry the most about, I hope it won't hit some hard coded stuff.Scratch that, I've been informed that the function already exist in Dev mode...

Active electronic warfare: A drone with the sprite of the ship should do the trick for the players. As for AI, if I flag the drone as a capital ship (or push up whatever the AI uses to judge the power of a ship) shouldn't it target it? I mean, can I launch a Capital ship from an other ship?

Drone bays: It's a bit early to promise anything but in fact I originally intended to make three declinations of each ships, scouting, warfare, and defense. Each one would have had his specific drone type.

Phase teleporter: Yeah, I almost build the whole faction just for this one!  ;D

Emergency thrusters: I doubt there is an easy way to do this. Maybe it will fire up automatically when your engines are shots? Giving you few seconds to generate an escape vector...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:35:14 PM by Tartiflette »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2014, 11:13:37 PM »

Precision gear: I don't need to apply this only to turrets since the ship only has turrets!
Haha, yeah, that'll do the trick.

Overlord: It's the one I'm worry the most about, I hope it won't hit some hard coded stuff.Scratch that, I've been informed that the function already exist in Dev mode...
Well, you can switch flagships instantly using dev mode, but not with a script. The player has to do it manually. It looks like the API does provide a way to change the flagship though, so you should be golden.

Active electronic warfare: A drone with the sprite of the ship should do the trick for the players. As for AI, if I flag the drone as a capital ship (or push up whatever the AI uses to judge the power of a ship) shouldn't it target it? I mean, can I launch a Capital ship from an other ship?
That's what I'd try first, but I'm not confident that it'd work. 'Drone' isn't a designation the way 'Fighter' and 'Destroyer' are, so the AI might not even notice the ship class, only that it's a drone. Could work though. Ya never know.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 02:16:14 AM »

The setFlagShip() in the API is not what you think it is. In fact it does some really really weird things, the AI will take over admiral orders for you from the newly designated flagship which you are not in control of.

I am not aware of a method that will allow you scripting wise to jump between ships like a teleportation thing.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 02:42:11 AM »

Well, the brutal solution would be to have a lightning fast shuttle on this ship. And there would be also issues if the Euryale retreat while you are in command of an other ship.
Well I'll tackle this problem in time, for now, back to weapon spriting!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 98