Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 98

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Scy V1.66rc3 (2023/03/19)  (Read 1097681 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] Scy V0.86 (01/12) Hotfix
« Reply #270 on: December 07, 2014, 01:19:05 PM »

Does the error occur in the missions refit screen? (the last mission have the Nemean Lion available)?

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2014, 02:18:22 PM »

So oddly, the last mission outside of the campaign that has the Nemean does work fine. But in the campaign, when using the refit screen simulator, with both the Simulator enhancement mod turned off and on, the game will crash with that same error.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 07, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »

That's because you are using a Scy 0.8 save. If you start a new campaign it will work fine.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 07, 2014, 03:13:21 PM »

I started this game yesterday after updating all of my mods. Also, I accidentally fell into Tartarus without fuel, and i had to cheat myself away from Acheron because the hax defenders would have otherwise totally ended my playthrough. I know you already said you're thinking about how to fix it, but I just wanted to add, yea wow that's horrid =s.

Edit: Dude, so like, the defenders followed me into other systems. Is my game f***ing over now?? What the hell am I supposed to do???
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:15:14 PM by TartarusMkII »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 07, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »

Kill them? They only use low grade stuff so they shouldn't be that hard, I even halved their strength. Their point is to drop the few fuel units you need to get to Elysee when you kill them, since there isn't any station there to buy some.

As for your error, I don't know what to say, the Log says TwigLib isn't correctly initialized in your save (witch is something that usually come from loading an old save), it works fine in mine with the same mods, and it apparently also works for everyone else. Try to see if the problem persist in a new save...

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 07, 2014, 03:49:16 PM »

When I 'fell' into Acheron, I was attacked by 3 capital fleets and 2 or so medium ones. I'll take a screenshot a little later. It's absolutely nothing I can kill with my two tempests.

You know I like your mod a lot, and I would not take the time to offer feedback if I didn't, but I want to ask, if you fall into Acheron when you run out of fuel and not Tartarus, why were hax defenders ever necessary? X_X

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 07, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »

Their point is to drop the few fuel units you need to get to Elysee when you kill them, since there isn't any station there to buy some.

;D

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 07, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »

All of the red fleets in that picture are anti-hax defenders that all spawned together. They are full of core epoch ships, with cruisers as the largest ships (and plentiful too.)

My fleet are two Tempests and 3 SCY Centaurs.

And yea, I guess your explanation DOES make sense, I just forgot- I thought it was meant as a punishment for trying the attempt lol.. But either way, I mean.. I don't know what to do about these guys other than cheating myself a huge fleet to fight them..

Also, I am curious, if I place items into the Yggdrasill Wreckage, will they ever disappear? I feel like I remember hearing others saying that it was possible from other storages, even the vanilla one. But thought I'd ask.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:03:25 AM by TartarusMkII »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 08, 2014, 04:20:43 AM »

It's a Vanilla-like storage, works exactly the same. If the vanilla one's flawed, this one too, but I never had a problem with them personally.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 08, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »

Ah okay- And I more meant a mechanic such as people also finding your stash and taking things from it, rather than a flaw or bug. Thanks!

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 08, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »

Didn't know that the SCY Millitary were into that kind of stuff...  ;)

Spoiler
[close]

( You can sell rec drugs to Hephaistos millitary market )

there is also a trade disruption there that says it has a demand... HMMM....

Spoiler
[close]

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 09, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »

Great mod so far, I really like it. However, the mod is in serious need of some proofreading. For example, the focus beam description has a number of errors. The normal text is
Code
The lighter cousin of the SCPB can fire continuously, but lack any strong alpha strike.

By reducing the amount of energy put in each pulse, the Scy engineers managed to produce fast discharge condensers able to function without interruption. The beam produced was however too weak to be of any use except point defence. A relatively unimaginative solution was to mount three parallel beams generator next to each other, the output was better, but still not enough to punch through armor.

A more clever solution was to slightly orient the three beam toward a single point. Then, if the target is hit while near the focus point, the damage increase exponentially.
but there are many issues with this, such as "but lack any strong alpha strike." A better version might be
Code

This lighter cousin of the SCPB can fire continuously, but lacks any strong alpha strike.

By reducing the amount of energy put in each pulse, the Scy engineers managed to produce fast discharge condensers able to function without interruption. However, the beam produced was too weak to be useful as anything other than point defense. The unimaginative solution was to mount three parallel beams generator next to each other. This improved output, but it was still not enough to punch through armor.

An improved solution was to aim the three beam toward a single focus point. This causes the damage to increase exponentially if the target is hit near the focus point.

I'm not a very good writer myself but all that is really needed is some proofreading.

On a related note,  I thought the exponentially in the description might be typo because I went over the focus beam script and, as far as I can tell, the damage does not increase exponentially, but I wasn't sure if it was a typo so I left it alone.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »

Well you're in luck, I started rewriting everything for the next update. But please, keep in mind that I'm not a native English speaker (quite the contrary actually) and some stuff might slip through.

As for the effect of the focus beam: it add increasingly more extra damage when the target is nearing the tip. A linear increase, true, but 250 additional DPS of High Explosive damage help a lot to drill through armor.

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 09, 2014, 04:45:52 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thats great! Its fine if a few things slip through, I just wanted to be sure you were aware of the errors. No one can get rid of all the errors in large, or even medium, piece of writing without someone else proofreading, native speaker or not. (Books written without an editor are painful) If you would like someone to proofread your work to look for those last few errors I would be willing to help out.

I understand how the damage is dealt, and I don't disagree that 250 damage is a good amount, I just think exponentially might be misleading.

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 10, 2014, 12:23:44 AM »

I personally preferred the old Focus Beam. The new one with its slow fire rate and low ammo count feels very.... slow.

Actually, I'm just gonna go through my thoughts of every weapon so far, because why not.

Small Nailer: Weak, but equivalent to like, the machine guns (not that I use them) from vanilla.
Medium Burst-Nailer: Still not worth a medium slot. However, it is far better compared to the old one at taking out shields, but still not really a PD weapon. The rounds tend to miss missiles completely sometimes.

Focus Beam: Now fires slowly, and isnt the old fighter and frigate killer it used to be. I struggle to find a niche for it in comparison to other weapons.
SCPB: Ammo runs out too fast to be of much use against anything moderately shielded. Also, 1500 flux/second is insane.

Energy Blaster: Awesome, great on the fast frigates that Scy has and fitting of their hit-and-run tactics.

Mortars: While I understand the point of these, I dont think they live up to expectations. They've got a high flux cost equivalent to most other SCY weapons, yet fail to deliver the punch that they're supposed to. The shells fly slowly, the damage isnt particularly spectacular, and theyre just kinda underwhelming all around.

Vibrating Beam: Eh... This thing is weird. While its theoretically a pretty good weapon, the way it forces itself to spread its damage in a cone means its worthless at taking out small targets or anything with real armor. Its beam nature makes it absolute *** against shields too.

Slasher Beam: Looks cool. But same with the Vibrating Beam, this thing is bad against heavily armored targets despite its high-explosive nature because it forces itself to spread the damage out. However, its better than the aforementioned because it can strip the armor of lowly-armored ships in one strike, but needs timing.

Small Kinetic Accelerator: Crap. The Vanilla Railgun is way better, and costs 1 less OP.
Medium KA: Range should be higher. Flux cost is too high for a low-ranged, low-dps kinetic weapon.
Heavy KA: Ok-ish. Range is still pretty low for a large mount weapon, and fires too slowly compared to the small and mediums, resulting in a sub-par DPS.

ORION: Cool on paper, but damage is really bad. For 28 OP and 600 flux/second, I kinda want something at least a little stronger.

Small Flak: Awesome. Use it a lot.
Light Minigun: Eh.. With the recent nerf (DOUBLE FLUX?!), suddenly not as good. Still pretty good, though. My biggest qualm is how it tends to fail utterly against some missiles by... I dunno. Not hitting them, or something.

Penetrator Railgun: Pretty okay. However, this thing only has 24 shots (120/5), resulting in a weapon that really doesnt serve any purpose in many fights. Loses out to the Hypervelocity Driver because of this. Ammo buff please XD.

Ricochet Gun: Fun to use, and powerful. Ability to skirt shields is a godsend. Well done with this one.

Area Scorcher: I dont see the point of this. Its not labelled as a PD, so the AI never uses this thing to shoot at missiles, has a pre-determined detonation range anyway, and does fragmentation damage. Utterly worthless against ships, and doesnt have the flak-effect that it needs to take out fighters and frigates.

Onto the missiles!

Singularity: Cool, I guess. Needs a special effect for the explosion though. Damage is a little sub-par, and it doesnt hold enough torpedoes (the Cyclone holds 20). Even the pull effect doesnt really cause anything major to happen, just a kinda displacement and maybe a bump here-or-there.

Heavy Swamer: Good for killing smaller ships, especially non-flak equipped ones.

Laser Torps: Fun to use, and good. Large one doesnt hold enough torpedoes, but eh.

Rocket Pods: Health of the rockets is way too low, especially considering the low ammunition count of these usually. I've never had mine really get to their destination.

Coasting Missiles: Good. Long range coupled with great tracking makes for a potent support weapon.

And thats about it! Might do one of these for Scy ships eventually, too.
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 98