Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: On Trade Design  (Read 49104 times)

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: On Trade Design
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2014, 05:15:50 PM »

-snip-

You know that nothing is finalized, right?
He's really only presenting the basic premise of where this game will go next.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »

I think he knows. No need to be defensive.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

JP161

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2014, 06:11:28 PM »

-snip-

You know that nothing is finalized, right?
He's really only presenting the basic premise of where this game will go next.
Indeed, what would be a better time to bring these things up than when things are still in motion! ;)

chaincat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2014, 11:19:29 PM »

to think this game has been in development for nearly 4 years now. It's pretty awesome how far this game has come from it's early stages that was a simple system of fight loot sell buy better stuff repeat to now character development and management of your fleet and now an actual economy. I just love watching this game grow and blossom into hopefully something amazing
Furthermore, I am of the opinion that Jangala must be destroyed.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2014, 12:24:06 PM »

Yeah, me too.  I can't wait to see the next installment of this saga; having this new system in place is going to be a really big step forwards :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2014, 12:57:16 PM »

Agreed. It will be the first big mechanic outside the combat system. As such it will be indicative of if Alex' ability to carry over his design skill from combat to other aspects of the game. How great of a game can Starsector become? I'm very hopeful.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Muchoman798

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »

Agreed. It will be the first big mechanic outside the combat system. As such it will be indicative of if Alex' ability to carry over his design skill from combat to other aspects of the game. How great of a game can Starsector become? I'm very hopeful.

The campaign system isn't entirely combat related. Mostly, as of right now, but not wholly. I do agree that it'll be the first big thing almost completely unrelated to combat, and that it will show how much better this game can become. Which is a lot of pressure on one update. If it doesn't go well, however, I imagine Alex will fix it until he's satisfied.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2014, 07:34:03 AM »

New version shall be released on Fri, April 11th 2014. How do I know this?

Simple. I have two MBA assignments due the Monday after.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2014, 08:17:10 PM »

New version shall be released on Fri, April 11th 2014. How do I know this?

Simple. I have two MBA assignments due the Monday after.
idk, that seems soon. more likely right before finals

Lolpingu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2014, 04:13:17 PM »

To add on to the "The player can be informed of an event before it occurs" endeavor, the player could be able to deliberately force an event to occur through the manipulation of various conditions. For example, a civilized planet may have a stable economy and trade routes, but if the player blockades the planet and starts to intercept the trade routes, the planet's economy should begin to suffer, which is the actual event. You can then arrange for a deal with a trading company that will trade with that planet while you continue intercepting any other trading company's ships - as a result, the trading company you made a deal with will make more money, and you get a nice share. Or, you could attempt to spark a war between two factions by attacking one faction's ships with ships of the other faction (as to how a faction is identified, perhaps digital signatures that identify ships as faction X or Y that can be manipulated and used for deception through the use of specialized hardware) - the war being the actual event - and when a faction is at war, it should buy supplies, ships and weapons at higher prices (to fuel the military campaign), which is an opportunity for the player to cash in big time.
If the player actually attains enough power, he can actually start pulling the strings on an entire star system.
All suggestions aside though, Alex is a genius - I'm more than confident that he'll deliver :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 04:18:17 PM by Lolpingu »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]