Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Let Me Draw You A Starsector Ship, Part 1  (Read 27364 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Let Me Draw You A Starsector Ship, Part 1
« on: May 16, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »

Blog post by David, here.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:09:41 AM by Alex »

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Re: Let Me Draw You A Starsector Ship, Part 1
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:32:44 AM »

Neat blog post. I was always curious on how David does his ships. I'm looking forward to the one next week. (Oh and is the comments supposed to be on for the blog post?)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:35:55 AM by ArkAngel »
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 11:43:42 AM »

Yess. Absolutely don't mind getting fresh insight into what's going on with expanding the setting and how David gets stuff done. Is this thing going to actually have a standard, takes-anything flight deck? That'll be beyond useful, and hella cute. I love the idea of the Magec system, too. Sounds like a desolate, bewitching place.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »

Very nice! Its interesting to see how much the design evolves over time. About the front universal... it might be interesting to make that into a built in weapon. A small scale mining blaster?

However, you left out a critical component: we need a picture of your cat. This is essential.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »

Neat blog post. I was always curious on how David does his ships. I'm looking forward to the one next week. (Oh and is the comments supposed to be on for the blog post?)

Yeah, I forgot to turn them off - your comment reminded me to flip the switch (thx!).

However, you left out a critical component: we need a picture of your cat. This is essential.

Oh, jeez. Sorry! Not just one cat, but two. Let's see if I can get this to attach to the post ... 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 02:32:02 PM »

Heh. Godiva.

Frigate carriers are always nice. Except when they get shot down of course. :P

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 02:38:16 PM »

My thought about the ship is 'Ah, a new toy; will it be in god tier, joke tier, or in between?'

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 02:38:28 PM »

I don't know why I never thought of having a 1:1 secondary view of a file while I work zoomed in. That... that will make things easier. Glad I read this :)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »

Yay cats! Also yay 5th element references, haha.

The post is awesome of course. I really do need to learn/practice some art.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 03:03:03 PM »

Muy grateful, Mr.David! I will have to try this newfound method out soon!

MasterGlink

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 05:08:18 PM »

Man, one these days I have to learn to do pixel art. I hate knowing that as a programmer I could probably do this, but I get stuck in the art stage.

I actually like the ship design, especially towards the end. I prefer more symmetrical ships so I would move the flight deck to the rear, replacing the empty cargo door thing. And give it one last mount to match where the deck used to be. Then maybe streamline it a bit to get a more of a pickup truck look, with a touch of mean speed.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »

Always nice and insightful having a view into the workflow of others.  You do a lot of things I wouldn't, or which hadn't occurred to me.  Well, still working on my lousy methodology anyway.

So much to learn still; thanks for sharing this snippet.  Also, you're lucky to have such lovely cats.  ... yay, kitties! ... ehem

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »

I like the 'barnacle' look of the engines in that quick sketch, with all the little engine muzzles or vents protruding.

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 11:17:10 AM »

Hmmm...

I'd like to suggest an idea or two:

• The "original" ship is a high-maneuverability utility vessel - four multithruster engine pods at the corners of an open frame, with a central crew/bridge pod.  The frame lets you attach whatever, wherever, and as such is rife with modding opportunities.  In concert with that, I think the flight deck should not have the rear hangar - let it extend over the starboard-rear engine pod just like it extends over the starboard-fore pod.  Instead, put a bit of overhang from the center bridge - craft get shoved sideways out into the middle of the flight deck, then fly forwards or rearwards as need be.
  • I don't much like the idea of putting a full flight deck on a ship as small as a frigate.  Two small weapon mounts means this thing's got almost as much offensive capacity as a Condor.  I think taking a cue from the Terminator Drone system is a better idea - let the ship have a system that maintains a couple Mining Pods, or possibly mini-Mining Pods that carry Swarmers or something.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »

Two small weapon mounts means this thing's got almost as much offensive capacity as a Condor.
To be fair, Condor has no offensive capability beyond Pilum spam.  I look to the Gemini as the destroyer-sized carrier standard.  Compared to Gemini, Condor is a joke ship (if not spamming Pilums).  Also, if this new ship will have limited peak performance, then it may not be very useful in extended combat.  Assuming it has a flight deck when it debuts, its primary use would probably be to grant fighters immortality in a fleet that cannot afford an Atlas, and the admiral does not want to tie up too much Logistics (or lose burn speed) in other, bigger carriers.
Pages: [1] 2 3