Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beginning Modding  (Read 2246 times)

Metroidude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Knights of Reason
Beginning Modding
« on: April 23, 2014, 03:18:53 PM »

Hey guys,
I've played through almost every feature of vanilla Starsector, and I believe I'm ready to start playing with mods.
I'd like some feedback and assistance from people who know more than I do (aka you guys :D)

First, what mods would you recommend?

I've seen so many, I can't make up my mind. Which ones are the most popular, and which ones would you recommend?

Second, how do you mod Starsector on a Mac?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:26:51 PM by Metroidude »
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

? Albert Einstein

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning Modding
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 03:32:40 PM »

So you want to write a mod or do you just want to have suggestions on which ones to play?

Modding usually means that you make a mod but it seems like you just want to play them.

Most mods are good in their own way, most of them add new factions and star systems.

There are more complex ones that add new features or completely change SS, Total Conversions those are called.

I can suggest Uomoz' Sector for a start, it is a verygood mod collection which adds new features as well, probably the closest thing to what SS might become one day.

Adding some faction mods together with Exerelin is a lot of fun, basically it is a huge multi front war with the goal of conquering star systems. It's also very much a sandbox like gameplay.

If you want to try out something completely different try Ironclads or Vacuum. (It's still SS but with more clearly defined goals and a lot of custom features and balance in case of Vacuum)

I hope that might help!

PS: If you like Zerg or Tyranids try my mod, Biomancy Genetic Engineering. It is very different although it's just a faction mod, see for yourself if you like.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:25:50 PM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »

USS (Uomoz Sector),Exerelin and ironclads are by far the most popular, they are all TC mods however and differs a lot from vanilla starsector

most popular/most used SA mods.
BRDY (Blackrock Driveyards)
SHI (Shadow Heavy industries)
Torn up plenty
Valkyrians
SS+
Lazylib (pretty much a must have)
Omnifactory (and all other utility mods you can find, can't have enough of those)
ICE
Exigency
BGE
Mayorate
Interstellar federation
Citadel

and these are just the top of the mountain, more or less all of the mods are great.

Metroidude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Knights of Reason
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »

Thanks for the response guys!

So you want to write a mod or do you just want to have suggestions on which ones to play?

PS: If you like Zerg or Tyranids try my mod, Biomancy Genetic Engineering. It is very different although it's just a faction mod, see for yourself if you like.

Sorry, my mistake. I meant to play.

I'll be sure to try your mod out! :)
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

? Albert Einstein

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »

Valk and Tecrys already said pretty much everything.

Be careful though when you try out Uomoz mod, it's pretty much the Dark Souls of Starsector.

Oh, and don't forget the combat radar mod, it's invaluable.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 05:39:28 PM »

It's worth noting that if you add or remove mods it pretty much makes it so you can't use a save with differing mods (there are some exceptions like a couple util mods). If you look at the save file it'll tell you which ones you had running. So it's easier to select the right mods for a particular save file.

A minor note: Exeralin feels like a TC mod, but it'll run just fine with only vanilla factions. It's still quite fun with only vanilla ships too.

Another consideration is how good your hardware is. I have a beat up old PC. I can usually do just fine running two or 3 mods but if i have too many my FPS really suffers. For reference my computer was made 6 or 7 years ago. If yours is from the last couple years you'll probably be fine.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.