Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help please.  (Read 1284 times)

vonseris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
help please.
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:42:50 PM »

alright so because i say anything im giong to admit it right now. im a idiot when it comes to modding, even when it seems simple to others it's complex to me. now the problem im currently running into is when i move a mod into the mod folder for starsector it doesnt recognize that it's there. all i do is download the mod, copy the mod from my downloads folder and past it into the mods folder for starsector. what steps am i missing? i know it tells me to unzip the folder into the mods directory, but i dont even know what that is and there is no option for me to unzip it.

could anyone please help a moron out?

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
Re: help please.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »

Unziping a mod requires a free zip program such as Winrar or 7zip. I personally use Winrar so that's the only one I can endorse. You can download Winrar here http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm just choose the download relevant to you, you can also ignore any "Program has so-and-so days left of use" messages after installation, I've used the program for years without having to buy it.

Also don't worry about not understanding some of the basic mod user points, we have to start somewhere right?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:28:26 PM by Piemanlives »
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:57:30 PM »

[snip] when i move a mod into the mod folder for starsector it doesnt recognize that it's there. all i do is download the mod, copy the mod from my downloads folder and past it into the mods folder for starsector. [snip]

It's the way winzip handles unzipping files. Sometimes it will dump the main mod folder into another, extra folder. When this happens, the game can't find the mod. Unzipping the latest UsS mod for instance, just results in the "UomozSector 1.3 RC6" folder INSIDE another "UomozSector 1.3 RC6" folder. You just have to move the folder that's inside the other (the actual mod folder has a whole bunch of folders named stuff like "data"/"graphics"/"sounds") to the mods directory. If that makes any sense.

vonseris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:25:10 AM »

ahhh im getting it now. thanks guys for the tips. very helpfull