Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Free Control Camera During Autopilot  (Read 2361 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Free Control Camera During Autopilot
« on: April 22, 2014, 01:09:05 PM »

Ok one more suggestion and I will leave this subforum alone for a bit lol.

I think it would be useful to unlock the camera leash while the player's ship is on autopilot. I can see why its useful when controlling a ship, but for tactical purposes during autopilot I would really like to be able to see everything that is going on in a battle. Unlocking autopilot would of course recenter back to the ship and put the leash back on.

The current system of changing camera views in the tactical screen is somewhat tiresome when trying to monitor several things at once. It also runs into issues when focused on fighter wings since the camera will sometimes randomly zoom to a fighter coming out of the carrier and the sense of whats going on in the battle is momentarily lost.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Free Control Camera During Autopilot
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:06:29 PM »

As an addition, for example when I only use fighters without a ship, the camera is basically rooted to the bottom of your spawn point and it's irritating to watch a battle ( no player involvement cept orders ) as everytime you pause, your view is defaulted to the camera that's stuck on the bottom, and you can't change the view other than with z target view (which will revert back to the shipless camera if you meddle with the command screen).

Also another case is when your the last ship, and you have fighter wings, you lose your ship, you ship drifts off and your camera is dragged along with it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:08:26 PM by FlashFrozen »

Metroidude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Knights of Reason
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:45:09 PM »

It is slightly irritating, but I don't think this should be a priority for development.
You can already lock your camera on any of your ships, and on an enemy ship in sight.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

? Albert Einstein

Cromodus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 07:01:25 AM »

I'd like to bump this instead of starting another thread.

I'm trying to focus more on fleet management (À la MOO2) instead of making myself a supership and the camera is unwieldly. It makes it hard to tell if certain ship designs are actualy working or just being carried by bigger ships.

nand633

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 07:53:29 AM »

I'm trying to focus more on fleet management (À la MOO2) instead of making myself a supership and the camera is unwieldly. It makes it hard to tell if certain ship designs are actualy working or just being carried by bigger ships.

That's exactly what I suggested in my post :D. http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8522.0

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »

In the latest view the following has been added:
Added to ViewportAPI: setExternalControl()/isExternalControl()

So I'll be finishing my freeview camera very soon.