Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: This Game Theorists' episode had me pondering...  (Read 1608 times)

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
This Game Theorists' episode had me pondering...
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »

Here's the link for reference:

http://youtu.be/MyXcr6sDRtw

I gave thoughts on how to contribute and show the game. As what was stated in 3:56, people "don't know what they want until you show it to them." Then there's a theory on trends and how things go into public awareness...

While I could ramble through the thread, I need your say in this.

At the moment, I am seeking to upload recorded videos while playing the game, trying to find out how to record and etc. Quite early, I feel, but I stick to playing vanilla to get the feel of the gameplay as it grows in updates.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: This Game Theorists' episode had me pondering...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:45:12 PM »

Starsector is one of my favorite games, and it isn't even done yet. It isn't a suddenly new chunky flavor though. It's one of the older flavors. I've known i've wanted a game like Starsector for a very long time.

The great things about games is they are visual and it's usually easy to grasp what makes them fun. So play the game. Have fun. It's pretty easy to see if you'd like Starsector or not in a video. Personally i love the fine tuning of ship design (or the scrounge whatever you can to make it work early on). I like that combat requires dex, but requires more int. I like that there is several ways to win at combat. I'm excited there is going to be some economy Soon™. I'm excited there is going to be industry too. It's also worth mentioning that the mods are great as well.

I've spent a lot of time extolling the virtues of Starsector to my friends in person, but none of them are super excited about it (not even the one that has the battle tech tabletop games). I was a little surprised. None of them have seen the game play though. They were interested in a pen and paper RPG inspired by it (though i've not finished it because it's hard to emulate a complex game like this in another format(i imagine it's hard to make a game like this in the first place too)). Easily 3/4 of the games i've bought in the last 5 years have been based on video from LPers just playing the game. 1/4 is from a description of the game. For me the description of Starsector was sufficient, but i imagine most people who might like it would need video. So play it, and showcase why you like it.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.