Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: What's YOUR flagship? Modded or Vanilla  (Read 33541 times)

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
Re: What's YOUR flagship? Modded or Vanilla
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »

Nobody seems to have valk flagships =I gives me a slight sadface, although even i have blackrock and shadowyards as favorites, since they are just too awesome to not fly, I guess mine are either to slow or there is something better for the same cost or less. ::)
Valks are a lot of fun as an enemy faction :D friggin macross-style missile spam and PD like some SHMUP.

They also make excellent fleet ships - they're just a more 'unstoppable steamroller' playstyle rather than the dart in and out faction balance that is fun (as in adrenaline-fueled) as a player ship but tends to get your AI ships pasted.

As for me, I always end up in a Nevermore or a Karkinos >_>
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2014, 11:44:06 AM »

Valk ships are amazing cap ships, that I use frequently. However only sometimes will I l fly them personally, they do lack the thrill of the hunt aspect of the nevermore ect.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:47:10 AM by sarducardun »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »

Weird that i missed this thread.

I usually try to get a flagship with a high skill cap for better effect. A Paragon (or any capital ship in general) is cool and all but everything you do with it, the AI can do it almost as good. However the AI will never be able to use tactical crafts to their full extent, ships like the Hound or the Hyperion have extremely high skill cap and you can get more from those than the AI will ever be able to.

That's why i usually pilot a Hyperion in a Vanilla game. Usually fitted with 2 AM blasters to take down quickly other frigates and even destroyers, 2 ion cannon to immobilize bigger targets and possibly 2 reapers if i have enough OPs. Just hunt down the small fry to let the rest of your fleet focus fire bigger targets, also hunting that annoying Condor spamming fighters at the edge of the map. After this, just camp the back of capital ships and let the ion cannons make sure they'll never move.

In Uomoz mod i prefer the Foxhound. I always found that thing pretty overpowered for its cost. A hound with kinetic drones and a missile hardpoint? Can wreck everything from the fighter to the Destroyer easily. Have yet to find better than this for early to mid game.

For other factions, i like the Exigency Indra. Outrageously agile and don't give a f**k about shields. Not as customisable as the Hyperion unfortunately, an excellent hunter but not that great for supporting the rest of the fleet in late game.

Tschudy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »

I'm not sure what to run as my flagship now.  I used to have an awesome carrier fleet using the  KT Rukh but since that faction was removed from Uomoz's sector, I can;t seem to find a fast enough carrier to replace it.

Lakis

• Lieutenant
  • I shall offend all of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »

LEt see... in Vanilla I ran with a Wolf as my frigate flag-ship, while when ever I was running with a carrier fleet or with a battle ship or captial it was the Mid-tech Colossus for the capital and for the Destroyer it was the Hammer head or the High-tech Medusa.

How I built them changed too many times, never really stuck with one thing, always changing and trying new things with it.

as for modded it was Interstellar federations Giant Capitol with the Hardon Teleporter and then one of Neutrino corps' Destroyers for the flagships. Frigate was the robber fly from Blackrock.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8100.0 - Metelsons Faction Mod - Occasional contributor - mostly a cold dead planet.

Lightfeather

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »

My flagship of choice has always been the Astral, be it modded or vanilla. It's been a while since I've looked for a replacement, but last I knew the Astral was the best carrier for supporting a big fighter fleet. That's why I love it, 'cause even though you need 'Murica-In-Spess level logistical support to run it, with a good fighter wing makeup nothing could beat it.
Patiently and excitedly waiting for the next release.
A fan of many games of the Space genre.

Hellkyte

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2014, 08:51:11 PM »

I've been using the Medusa with a couple of Seculon (sp?) Blasters and some rail guns.  It is phenomenally effective at taking down much larger ships.  The only concern is that it's pretty paper thin, so if you over expose yourself offer surrounded you can die pretty quickly. Head to head the thing is pretty unstoppable. 

pyg

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »

Here are my three favorite in order:

1. Mimir
2. Mimir
3. Mimir

T_Mir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2014, 12:09:16 PM »

Vanilla ships. I often use the Aurora Class. It's handy, fast and doesn't need much supplies while it provides massive firepower and can be used against everything. Just destroyed a HSDF around 10 minutes ago, only testing because I don't want them to be my enemies.

Btw why is the Wolf frigate popular? Maybe I've tried bad builds but in my opinion frigates in general are weak and limited. It is too risky to use elite crew on such fragile platforms. Same thing with fighters.

xXTallmanXx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »

Wolf class frigate, and the big sister medusa usually.

RandomnessInc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2014, 09:09:47 AM »

I would have to go with the Omega from Omegas Minimash fitted out with 100 vents,100 capacitors, all flux venting/capacitor upgrades,all armor/hull strength upgrades (it has like 1500 refit points), and refitted with all continues/burst lasers so i essentially can keep me 360 arc shields up and fire all my lasers at once with barely creating any flux and when i do overload i can just tank out all the shots.

My second option would be the Pride of Hiigara with standard loadout. its main laser is so powerful i can take out a light cruiser in one hit with it.
May the fry be with you.

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »

The Helios from SS+, with neutrino neutron lances  scarlaron blasters and hiigran frag cannons. If I can't have the neutrons then singularity cannons and frag from the hiigrans works almost as well.

Edit: Void beams from nhil and heavy AM blasters from weapons pack is even more ridiculous.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:39:17 AM by sarducardun »

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »

Finally got around to doing a full play through of the excellent Project Ironclads TC, and man, what an experience. Quite different from vanilla, but very fun and well put together. A little overwhelming maybe with the sheer number of weapons, many very similar, but it works out alright.

I played primarily as ISA, so naturally had ISA flagships of increasing magnitude up until the end game.

What I found there was absolutely incredible. The Michigan-Class battleship has to be one of the most fun ships to play ever when fitted out carefully. A pair of assault gauss cannons, a pair of 40mm flak, rotary PD guns all around, and a load of devilfish missile launchers make this an unstoppable force when piloted carefully. With a single Michigan, a small support carrier, and a swath of fighters I found myself able to easily cut through system defense fleets of any faction one after another. Just unbelievable. You have to carefully manage your weapons and flux, backing out to vent down, then coming in for attacks. When done right though, you can essentially guarantee a quick kill of any single ship before backing out again. Once I had dominated RSA I went rogue, taking on the rest of the fleets until I was convinced of my invincibility.

Then I found the prototype destroyer. It seemed a littlelackluster, until I fitted it with a pair of captured AI pulse beams, a trio of alien missile launchers, and microlasers all around. Then I was able to single handedly defeat just about any fleet in that destroyer if I played carefully enough. A great bit of fun for the final endgame. Played around with a the other factions for a bit before putting the mod to rest. I might revisit it later if any major updates push through.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2014, 04:03:51 AM »

Disclaimer: i haven't played in over a month so my knowledge may be out of date.

If i'm running mixed tech fleets my goto flagship is the Tartarus from shadowyards. It has a large omni and 2 medium omni hard points and excellent energy turret coverage. I love the versatility that provides. Typically i put missiles in the hardpoints though. It also has a wonderful ship system. You slow down, but get increased energy weapon range and damage and your shields harden. With the ability to fire while you have the super tough shields it feel sort of like spaceship judo. You let them fill their flux capacity by fruitlessly firing on your shields and overload their shields with a pair of shrikes, and finish with a pair of reapers. Reapers are also much easier to aim if your ship has little to no lateral movement.

If i'm just sticking to one tech or faction it's usually a self imposed challenge like: just combat converted ships (and talons) or just pd weapons (LMG is best) or some other silly thing. That typically informs what my flagship is. Once i just had an Atlas in my fleet, but used hordes of fighters to do everything. It played like an RTS. That was rather interesting. It was really hard to turn a profit though.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Pax_Empyrean

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2014, 04:10:55 PM »

I fly a custom ship I made myself, mostly kitbashed out of a Brawler although I did a bunch of it a pixel at a time.

I named it Lightning. One medium ballistic turret with a 45 degree forward arc, two fixed forward small missile slots, two small universal slots arranged like the Hyperion's small energy turrets (overlapping coverage fore and aft, one covering each side). Top speed of 200, 250 armor, 200 flux dissipation, 3000 flux, 50 OP, 1500 hit points, 3 supplies, 20%/10% CR deployment/recovery. Got a phase cloak and an afterburner that takes flux to run.

It's fast and squishy and has a versatile weapons loadout. I can hit the afterburner and make a bombing run, then phase cloak before I ram the ship and give myself a burnout. I absolutely love this thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7