Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Comm Relays  (Read 27325 times)

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: Comm Relays
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 04:59:31 PM »

@Gothars Well, the Domain was a big advocate on control. Having a comms system entirely automated would be handy in case some anti-domain rebellion was using it to transmit propaganda to the people of the sector. Then they could just switch it off, potentially stopping the rebellion's spread, if not impeding it.

behrooz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »

It's entirely plausible that spending a lot of time around a giant, somewhat mysterious, high-tech installation capable of interstellar high-bandwidth FTL communication might be either unpleasant or actively unhealthy.  That's how I'd spin it, anyway.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2014, 05:51:05 PM »

I don't know, right now I'm thinking of them as gigantic installations, with a core of irreplaceable high-tech machinery. (Broadcasting across the gulf between the stars can't be easy, right?) We'll see, though.

Mh, it just seems unlikely to me that such a gigantic installation, so close to inhabited planets/stations, is unmanned. It seems very uneconomical. I could much more easily imagine a small automated relay near a planet, a big manned comm station (probably with additional functions) near a planet, or a big automated relay in outer space.
It's entirely plausible that spending a lot of time around a giant, somewhat mysterious, high-tech installation capable of interstellar high-bandwidth FTL communication might be either unpleasant or actively unhealthy.  That's how I'd spin it, anyway.

That does sound plausible, and would explain why one isn't just built into every station. Let's see where David wants to go with it, haven't actually talked to him about that. Might not be too relevant for the next release, except for the sprite size.

Another idea, you probably thought of it long ago, but anyway: It would be really interesting if we could manipulate the data in a relay to deceive other entities. For example, luring a defense fleet away by faking reports of a pirate attack. Or lure in traders with reports of shortages.

Yeah, that sounds like fun. I don't think it'd actually require a hidden layer of data passing around for the AI to base decisions on; in any case, that seems like it wouldn't be the right way to go about it, as it'd be difficult to produce the right result. Already thinking about stuff like fake distress calls, too. Probably out of the scope for the next update, but it's fun to get into stuff like that!

Local array in a system, and then one in hyperspace?

If this is a question to me, I'm not 100% sure what you mean :)

The killer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 05:48:44 AM »

think he means theres a relay in hyper for FTL comms and one in system for system wide comms(dont know if this is what he ment but its what i think would fit)

Psyonicg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Logic Systems!
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 09:01:16 AM »

When I saw the section of the web post that talked about spreadsheets of information and logic systems I must admit I got very excited. If you could actually create a logic based system for the interaction of people within your game then I will gladly salute you and praise you for eternity. Other than that this is a very interesting update and I'm eagerly awaiting the next patch.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
GREENPEACE
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 09:16:54 AM »

Wut is logic systems?

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 10:11:12 AM »

Forum *robutt* alert! Dang_botters are all over the place now.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 10:20:03 AM »

Wait, you're telling me that's a bot? Did I miss something? How much Skynet is it gonna get?
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 05:39:05 PM »

think he means theres a relay in hyper for FTL comms and one in system for system wide comms(dont know if this is what he ment but its what i think would fit)

If that's the question: there relays are all in-system at the moment. May put one here and there in hyperspace, though.

When I saw the section of the web post that talked about spreadsheets of information and logic systems I must admit I got very excited. If you could actually create a logic based system for the interaction of people within your game then I will gladly salute you and praise you for eternity. Other than that this is a very interesting update and I'm eagerly awaiting the next patch.

"Logic" is awfully vague, isn't it? :) So, I'm not entirely sure just what you mean.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 10:11:19 AM »

By logic it probably means that it will allow you to have characters. Have them have memories, so as to let them have different reactions to different things. Have communication options which will have effects. Have events alter those memories.

And, naturally, API allowing modders to manipulate all of that.

Thats what I read it as anyhow.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

maximusprime1010

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 04:41:54 PM »

I really think you should flesh out the intelligence market into it's own ughh... thing. To my understanding comm relays are a place that collects system wide information and broadcasts it around the system and to other systems. Each faction will have comm stations of their own (and maybe some independent ones) where information that group receives is gathered.
Here's what I think, there should be levels of intelligence ranging from low which anyone can see except enemies of the faction eg. planetary weather, right up to high level eg. future battle plans. Being friendly with the faction will access higher levels as will planting comm sniffers of varying levels. This could lead to all sorts of dynamic espionage missions such hacking one factions comm relay and selling the information to a rival faction or scouting a planet for information to give to a faction.
Secondly I feel that comm relays are too valuable to be left alone. They should be guarded or the surrounding space be considered out of bounds and being in that space will prompt a faction response if seen. Instead information will be received through a news interface perhaps and in turn placing comm sniffers will be more risky but more rewarding.
Finally something that isn't really related to comm relays but I feel some sort of visibility system should be included (just a simple one), smaller fleets are less detectable or something. I only bring this up because at the moment, the way I see it, the safest way perform a stealthy bugging mission would be to assemble your entire fleet and take those motha's head on which just doesn't feel right.
Please tell me what you think and I don't expect this in the next update, this is more of an overall plan.
Oh and keep up the great work ;)    
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:46:30 PM by maximusprime1010 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 08:12:40 PM »

Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

As far as fleshing out intelligence, that's very much the idea. The events system (talked about here) is designed with this in mind. It's flexible enough to allow for various levels of fleshing out, so we'll just have to see how much feels right.

Secondly I feel that comm relays are too valuable to be left alone. They should be guarded or the surrounding space be considered out of bounds and being in that space will prompt a faction response if seen. Instead information will be received through a news interface perhaps and in turn placing comm sniffers will be more risky but more rewarding.

Pretty much how it already works! Will most likely ensure there are patrol near relays, too.

Finally something that isn't really related to comm relays but I feel some sort of visibility system should be included (just a simple one), smaller fleets are less detectable or something. I only bring this up because at the moment, the way I see it, the safest way perform a stealthy bugging mission would be to assemble your entire fleet and take those motha's head on which just doesn't feel right.

I've been thinking about this myself, for a while. I'd like to take some time at some point and take a closer look at it; there are some ideas but I don't quite want to discuss them because, well, they're just not ready for it.

All in all, though, what you're saying is very much in line with how I'm thinking about it, with the caveat that the devil is in the details.

Oh and keep up the great work ;)

Thanks for your support :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]