Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Comm Relays  (Read 27460 times)

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Comm Relays
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 09:37:36 AM »

"You killed a Buffalo in my fleet twenty play-hours ago! Now i upgraded my fleet and have tonnes of capital ships and captured pirate and tri-tachyon vessels and wil hound you till the end of time!"

But seriously, i may be alone in thinking framework development in a game is more exciting than content. Anyone can make content, but new off the wall features? Pshht.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 10:46:17 AM »

That is all kinds of win.  Solid!
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 03:23:05 PM »

What I like to know is can I take over the comm relay by force?  Can other factions remove comm sniffers once you install yours (or vice-versa if I own the relay).  Eventually, my would-be overlord will be strong enough to kill any and all fleets (given skillful play) that oppose him, and will not care about breaking Hegemony law.  (On second thought, breaking Hegemony law equals combat, and combat equals more XP, loot, and power!)

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 07:53:59 PM »

When you are installing the comm sniffer, will you not get caught as easily if you use a phase cloak capable ship?

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 06:27:03 AM »

Andy raises a good question.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »

My guess is your phase cloak will have to power down in order to interact with the comm relay. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 07:54:12 AM »

I would think that phase ships are no harder to find than others since they glow like bright neon while phased.  All phase cloak is good for is imitating fortress shield.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 10:07:58 AM »

What I like to know is can I take over the comm relay by force?

Pretty much same answer as to FlashFrozen's comments :) Outside the next update's scope, etc.

Can other factions remove comm sniffers once you install yours

Haven't decided yet.

When you are installing the comm sniffer, will you not get caught as easily if you use a phase cloak capable ship?

Not at the moment. I still want to look at special phase ship mechanics in the campaign, though, so that'll be a good time to look at this too. If it's done in a general-enough way (i.e. your fleet becomes harder to track down), that's the sort of thing that would "just work", without needing any special code.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 03:15:09 PM »

Exciting stuff, thanks for building this with the general API in mind too! 

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 10:36:05 PM »

Will we be able to do stuff like insult or "ass kiss" the AI and have it effect them? Like being able to fly up to a pirate ship with a weak fleet or single frig and contact them, insult them and then run like hell to your storage station where your "real" fleet is stored?

Also, will admirals "spread" information about you? Like you do the above scenario and the commander tells/ cries to all of his buddies about what happened and the next time you try it, they either ignore you, bring a bigger fleet, and/ or set a trap at said storage location.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 12:53:38 AM »

I admire your diligence in laying down solid groundwork instead of rushing to exciting content creation, Alex. I really think it will pay off in the long run, especially when considering modability.

Just two little things:

- Comm relays seem to be displayed as far bigger than stations. Looks strange.

- The blue progress bar seems a bit out of place outside its original menu. Maybe give it the same greenish color the tab bar has? (Or the other way round.)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

whitcode

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 04:30:10 AM »

The discussion at the end reminded me of a good quote.

“ Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. ”
       - Brian Kernighan

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 10:39:52 AM »

Will we be able to do stuff like insult or "ass kiss" the AI and have it effect them? Like being able to fly up to a pirate ship with a weak fleet or single frig and contact them, insult them and then run like hell to your storage station where your "real" fleet is stored?

Also, will admirals "spread" information about you? Like you do the above scenario and the commander tells/ cries to all of his buddies about what happened and the next time you try it, they either ignore you, bring a bigger fleet, and/ or set a trap at said storage location.

Just to clear something up - there's a framework for dialogue, yeah, but that doesn't mean there's new dialogue everywhere. That's going to be a separate effort.

The answer to any "will we..." type of question is either "maybe" or "no"; in this case it's "maybe", with a side of "it depends" :)

But seriously, i may be alone in thinking framework development in a game is more exciting than content. Anyone can make content, but new off the wall features? Pshht.

I think both are equally important. Can't have one without the other, etc. The line is blurry, too.

I really think it will pay off in the long run, especially when considering modability.

It's a point where the benefits both to the core game and to modability align, I think, since adding content is a big deal for both. In general, I'm finding myself doing things in a modable way because it's actually easier. I think it's the result of the modding-related architecture being more settled now.

- Comm relays seem to be displayed as far bigger than stations. Looks strange.

I don't know, right now I'm thinking of them as gigantic installations, with a core of irreplaceable high-tech machinery. (Broadcasting across the gulf between the stars can't be easy, right?) We'll see, though.

- The blue progress bar seems a bit out of place outside its original menu. Maybe give it the same greenish color the tab bar has? (Or the other way round.)

Hmm, yeah. Tried another color (the more cyan-ish), that seems to be a bit better.

The discussion at the end reminded me of a good quote.

“ Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. ”
       - Brian Kernighan

Ha! Yeah, that nails it.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 11:06:42 AM »

I don't know, right now I'm thinking of them as gigantic installations, with a core of irreplaceable high-tech machinery. (Broadcasting across the gulf between the stars can't be easy, right?) We'll see, though.

Mh, it just seems unlikely to me that such a gigantic installation, so close to inhabited planets/stations, is unmanned. It seems very uneconomical. I could much more easily imagine a small automated relay near a planet, a big manned comm station (probably with additional functions) near a planet, or a big automated relay in outer space.

Another idea, you probably thought of it long ago, but anyway: It would be really interesting if we could manipulate the data in a relay to deceive other entities. For example, luring a defense fleet away by faking reports of a pirate attack. Or lure in traders with reports of shortages.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:26:16 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »

Local array in a system, and then one in hyperspace?

Pages: 1 [2] 3