Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Modding question. [reopened for another question.]  (Read 5230 times)

Lakis

• Lieutenant
  • I shall offend all of them!
    • View Profile
Modding question. [reopened for another question.]
« on: April 13, 2014, 02:39:33 AM »

I'm looking into getting started with a mod. I have an Idea and an Artist who wants to work with me on it, but I'm stuck on making .ship files for out own ships and While I'd like to use Trylbot's ship editor, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. So I'm looking to do everything manually.

So, I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

In "Bounds' " Brackets there's a long string of numbers that I'm assuming represent the general hit box of the ship. Right?

What is the "Center" and is it the exact center of the ship or is it where one would generally find the ships command deck?

Now, concerning both, how can I tell what is the rough location of those numbers/Co-ordinates when looking at the Ship's .png in an image editor such as Photoshop or GIMP?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:28:08 AM by Viymese »
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8100.0 - Metelsons Faction Mod - Occasional contributor - mostly a cold dead planet.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Modding question.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 03:20:05 AM »

I wouldn't recommend doing it manually, it can take several hours if not even a day to create a single ship and give it basic functions.

Trylo's editor is really simple to use, it requires you to have a structured mod folder however, which is probably the only thing you need.

there are video tutorials on how to use it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWAqVujYUno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpM1MaHsDPs

Lakis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Modding question.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »

Why couldn't google find this thing earlier?

Bleh, thank you for the quick reply and the two links.  I'll see what I can pull off after watching a few times and trying to go along with it...
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8100.0 - Metelsons Faction Mod - Occasional contributor - mostly a cold dead planet.

Lakis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Modding question. [reopened for another question.]
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 02:34:30 AM »

So, I figured out how to use trylobot's Ship editor, but for some reason I'm running into this strange error after I tried to make a fighter wing and I'm not sure how to fix it...

Code
java.lang.RuntimeException: Key [formation] is required

4765 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.FighterWingSpreadsheetLoader  - Loading wing [msm_bolt_wing,"msm_bolt_Support",5,"V",3,"FIGHTER",15;12000,,,,,,,,,,,,,25;;] from wing_data.csv

This is what is in the .csv file.

Code
"id,""variant"",""fleet";"pts"",""hyperdrive"",""formation"",""num"",""role"",""refit"",""base";"value"",,,,,,,,,,,,,""number"""
"msm_constructor_wing,""msm_construcor_Support"",5,,""V"",3,""FIGHTER"",15,12000,,,,,,,,,,,,,25";;
"msm_bolt_wing,""msm_bolt_Interceptor"",8,,""V"",3,""INTERCEPTOR"",9,7500,,,,,,,,,,,,,26";;
"msm_drill_wing,""msm_drill_miner"",5,,""CLAW"",5,""FIGHTER"",6,7500,,,,,,,,,,,,,";;

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 02:39:38 AM »

fighters have a separate CSV file which they also have information in. the Wing.CSV, i believe you forgot that one.

look at other mods folders if they have something you are missing.

Lakis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 03:21:09 AM »

I'm blustering, The wing_data or the wing.csv both seem to work, its that I didn't make sure everything in the code for some of the ships were in the right case.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:33:55 AM by Viymese »

Lakis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 07:17:28 AM »

So, after doing that and getting a little sleep I come back to test it some more and find that I have a new problem that's a little more complex.

I keep getting a null.

Code

37436 [Thread-5] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore  - Description with id flarelauncher_fighter_SHIP_SYSTEM not found
37436 [Thread-5] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore  - Description with id traveldrive_SHIP_SYSTEM not found
37436 [Thread-5] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore  - Description with id inferniuminjector_SHIP_SYSTEM not found
37436 [Thread-5] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore  - Description with id skimmer_drone_SHIP_SYSTEM not found
37437 [Thread-5] DEBUG com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Loading [graphics/particlealpha32sq.png] as texture with id [fs.common/graphics/particlealpha32sq.png]
37439 [Thread-5] DEBUG com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Loaded 158.34 MB of texture data so far
37439 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Cleaned buffer for texture graphics/particlealpha32sq.png (using cast)
37659 [Thread-5] DEBUG com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Loading [graphics/backgrounds/background4.jpg] as texture with id [graphics/backgrounds/background4.jpg]
67258 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.createFleet(Unknown Source)
at data.scripts.world.TSTSpawnPoint.spawnFleet(TSTSpawnPoint.java:50)
at data.scripts.world.TSTSectorGen.generate(TSTSectorGen.java:28)
at data.scripts.world.TSTModPlugin.initTST(TSTModPlugin.java:21)
at data.scripts.world.TSTModPlugin.onNewGame(TSTModPlugin.java:29)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.title.B.dialogDismissed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.float.dismiss(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.oooO.dismiss(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.null.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.privatesuper.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.F.processInput(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.T.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.B.super.float$super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.A.oOOO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I figured that if the game loaded to the main screen there weren't any problems.

I was horribly... horribly wrong...

I'm a little perplexed, but have a general idea 'bout the problem and I'm pretty sure it's related to the four hullsystems it refers to.

Making a Hullmod would be a way to fix it, but that's just a little out of my scope of knowledge at the moment...

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 07:53:22 AM »

That's actually not the problem, it just points out that those systems don't have description, the game wouldn't crash for that reason.

It's your sector generation code cascading into the modplugin. That might be because you didn't set up spawn points or stations properly.

I can only guess, but you should check the lines it is referring to inside those spawn points. Somewhere there the NullPointer is happening.

I guess you don't have a sector generation code. If you just want to test your ships you could comment out the part where the modplugin is inside your modinfo. Like that it would probably run but it would not try to load your modplugin and dector generation which is tied to that.

Hint: Before I started modding I played almost all other mods being out there and after that I had a look at their files. It helps a lot to know which files are connected and how. It also gives you a lot of insight into mod structure/folder structure. In any case, i suggest before you do that sector generation and modplugin stuff to make a custom mission or modify an existing one. Sector generation is fiddly imo.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:20:21 AM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Lakis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 05:00:43 PM »

Well, I tinkered around using an IDE instead of just gedit with the .java file extension type selected.

I got a new error and it's related to compiling the ModPlugin whlie saying that Janino has an issue at line 165 somewhere...

I'm pretty sure Janino can't be the problem because that's something that is included with starsector and I didn't touch that.

Code
28243 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Error compiling [data.scripts.world.TSTModPlugin]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error compiling [data.scripts.world.TSTModPlugin]
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: data.scripts.world.TSTModPlugin
at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.findClass(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:165)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
... 2 more

I'll add it to my IDE and see what errors might crop up.

Edit:

Actually... I think I may have just borked everything on accident, so all of last nights and this mornings work has gone caputski... I can't seem to open any of the files any more and I thinks it's because I built it instead of saving the files...

Though I'm not entirely sure that's the reason, I'm very inclined to think that way at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:12:06 PM by Viymese »