Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vanilla Ship Kitbash Expansion Pack AKA shippack  (Read 5090 times)

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
Vanilla Ship Kitbash Expansion Pack AKA shippack
« on: April 07, 2014, 08:14:14 AM »

This is a mod that started out as just a single ship (which still exists in the mod actually). The earliest version I can find was in May 2012, and since that time I've gradually been adding ships until the mod became what it is today. Now there are 38 vanilla kitbashed ships in the mod, most if not all of which are intended for combat. Why do this even? Well, the point is to increase your range of options for ship buying.
It's not that I don't think there is already an interesting variety of ships in the vanilla game, and I know less is sometimes more, but I felt there were a few roles that could be filled. But aside from fulfilling some of those roles, I've added generic combat ships which usually give some advantage in a role where an alternative of the same tech level doesn't have an advantage. Inadvertently, this mod has become something perhaps not so unlike the old Weapon Pack mod from a while back, though I focus less on weapons than it did on ships. My kitbashes also don't use kitbashes from any other existing mods, so any similarity is either a coincidence or someone borrowed my kitbash.
Overall, there are balanced (Mutilator), unbalanced (Athena), remarkable and unremarkable, boring (Tempest Mk. 2) and interesting ships, ones that do something unique for their size (Nebula), ones that fill roles that didn't even used to exist or haven't until now (Raven), oversized supercapitals (Minerva), and ships that are supposed to be an evolution (Hellhound) or miniaturized version (Eumaeus) of a vanilla counterpart.
The quality of my kitbashes and balancing varies significantly - most of my earlier kitbashes are outright lazy, while newer ones have some substance and enough diversity not to blatantly resemble existing ships. Unfortunately though, they don't stand up to some of the fantastic kitbashes and sprites others have come up with on this forum!

Compatability note: Some of the ships in this mod have a prefix in their name to prevent incompatibility with other mods, however this is not the case with all ships. The ships created earlier in development are the ones which may cause problems, but these ships are referenced in various files such as fleet files, the ship delivery file and variant files. If I were to change the IDs of the ships, it's possible I could cause runtime errors that I wouldn't pick up on in testing. Still, if many people end up having mod compatibility problems, I will at least try to solve the issue on a per-case basis.

The ships

Frigates:
Spoiler
Sentinel, Nebula, Andromeda, Hunter, Hailer, Viper

[close]

Destroyers:
Spoiler
Buffalo B-Type (I'm not good with names), Hellhound, Dart, Magellan, Crow, Cobra, Eumaeus,
Blackbird, Heron, Selene, Swordfish, Bullfrog, Athena, Buffalo 4 (awful, I know),
Osprey, Centurion, Baxter, Raven

[close]

Cruisers:
Spoiler
Heliades, Pulsar, Kerberos, Hawk, Mutilator

[close]

Supercapital:
Spoiler
Titanopteryx, Minerva, Warlord

[close]

Download

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/itu2h02gegs4jpx/r6N2NYQytV

SpaceRiceBowl

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Ship Kitbash Expansion Pack AKA shippack
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 08:05:53 AM »

This looks quite nice actually
I really don't know what I'm doing...

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 09:03:39 AM »

I like those sprites, not much fan of the two lower-tech capital ships though, too much mirrored.

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:51:32 AM »

I like those sprites, not much fan of the two lower-tech capital ships though, too much mirrored.

You're right, the Warlord sprite is pretty half-assed because it's the first supercap I made when I wasn't even sure about releasing the mod. I felt like seeing how far I could take ridiculous firepower. Oddly enough, some of the small turrets are so far into the hull that PD weapons are basically useless in certain slots. I wouldn't use it in a serious game unless I wanted to gauranteed curb stomp everything while barely lifting a finger.

SpaceRiceBowl - thanks, haha.  :)

Gilgamesh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:50:36 PM »

The ones that I consider the best are the Sentinel, Nebula, Hunter, Hailer, Viper for the Frigates, 
and the Hellhound, Magellan, Crow, Blackbird, Heron, Bullfrog, Buffalo 4, Osprey, Baxter, and Raven for the Destroyers.
These look like they fit the most and also look good.
The supercapitals just look like fun, though a bit messy.
Over all this is really good for a vanilla kitbash.

Also I think your missing a name for one of the cruisers. There are six cruisers but only five names.

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:25:16 PM »

Also I think your missing a name for one of the cruisers. There are six cruisers but only five names.

The first Stoat is obsolete - I was really unhappy with the sprite I originally made for it and so I replaced it with the one you can see in the OP. I tried to turn it into an upscaled Wolf, It has comparable firepower to the original Stoat, but is probably overpowered due to having a phase skimmer.

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 03:14:48 PM »

These all look really good and fitting to the game. Several of them I would not even suspect to be kitbashes. My only gripe with them is exactly the same as Helmuts though. But I really really like the vast majority of them, they look great and if they are somewhat vanilla balanced I feel that they would play great too.