Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32

Author Topic: Starsector 0.65a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 257889 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.65a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #360 on: October 23, 2014, 09:00:36 PM »

i get the feeling a lot of ships and items have vanished from the world. I have 100 reputation with hegemony, tritach, and independent and access to the other 2 factions military markets and have yet to see an omen, an apogee, conquest, odyssey, hyperion, astral, venture, tempest, an aurora, affliction, or a doom. I stumbled onto a shade at the black market of a tritach non military planet, not a clue why it was there, doesn't seem to be any reasoning to it. Why have all these ships if you cant find and use so many of them, if you do manage to find one and it dies your fleet composition is screwed too, because you won't see another. Judging by the general discussion threads everyone's using mostly the same ships because they're the main things available.

Anyways my progress feels hindered more by lack of ship availability than by lack of money, jobs or exp. omg alex why do you do this.

I get what you're saying, especially about feeling hindered. Making specific ships reliably accessible without making it too easy is a tricky proposition, though, and being forced to make do with stuff that isn't the best or what you'd want to have in an ideal world is a very large component of the fun. I think all in all, the game would be worse off if every faction reliably had their best stuff for sale. On the other hand, I'm not saying the current situation is ideal, either. Just that I don't see a simple solution. I'll definitely keep this in mind, though... it was already something I was aware of before the release. I think maybe more pieces need to be in place before this can be satisfactorily resolved - perhaps production (i.e. market X has the Tempest blueprint, and so is much more likely to have it for sale), perhaps people you can talk to that can procure the stuff you really want, but at a premium. There are possibilities.

For now, your best bet is probably starting trouble with the factions that has the stuff you want, and then getting it that way - especially for weapons, though boarding is of course an option too.

Game is great right now. The only thing missing is the ability to take stations and found your own faction. No doubt we'll have mods for such soon enough.

Great work, Alex. There are so few games that I play year on year and Starsector never fails to recapture my imagination with each patch!

Thank you!

After playing for about two hours, I'm still hooked. The new campaign adds a lot to the startup, whereas in previous games I could simply grab a mercury, refit it with some reapers, and take out a buffalo to get money quick. Amazing work, probably won't sleep tonight to try master this new version :D

Keep up the good work, Starsector is, and probably always will be, my favorite game ;D

That's quite a hefty compliment :)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #361 on: October 24, 2014, 12:50:01 AM »

I have 100 reputation with hegemony, tritach, and independent and access to the other 2 factions military markets and have yet to see an omen, an apogee, conquest, odyssey, hyperion, astral, venture, tempest, an aurora, affliction, or a doom.
Tri-tachyon guys have none of them?! Wonder what happened to their blueprints...

This update made quite a lot of changes, so I`ll have to get used to them... Anyway it is great now.
Hard to get along well with both Hegemony and Tri-tach guys though.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:51:40 AM by Aron0621 »

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 24, 2014, 12:54:19 AM »

Very nice work Alex :)

Funnily enough, I think my favorite thing has been all the new faction and place descriptions. Absolutely loved all the tid-bits in Sindria, the refugees etc. First thing I did was get enough money for fuel to fly around and visit everything to read the descriptions :D

Olix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 24, 2014, 03:09:42 AM »

I'm enjoying the new patch. I'm being a pirate, and everyone else is Vengeful towards me. I think it would be nice if the player had more options after they *** everyone off, as it's kind of annoying that there are only 4 stations that I can dock at. Perhaps it could interact with the stability system - if a station gets to 0 stability, you can dock there and interact with the markets (open and black) whatever your reputation with the owning faction. I think it's a bit weird that I can't find anyone to trade with me on Maxios (a government-less independent wilderness) despite all the freighters I have blown up.

It would also be fun if bringing lots of booty back to a pirate station to sell (on the open market) increased that station's stability, and perhaps resulted in more ships and weapons on the market there.

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 24, 2014, 04:07:16 AM »

i get the feeling a lot of ships and items have vanished from the world. I have 100 reputation with hegemony, tritach, and independent and access to the other 2 factions military markets and have yet to see an omen, an apogee, conquest, odyssey, hyperion, astral, venture, tempest, an aurora, affliction, or a doom. I stumbled onto a shade at the black market of a tritach non military planet, not a clue why it was there, doesn't seem to be any reasoning to it. Why have all these ships if you cant find and use so many of them, if you do manage to find one and it dies your fleet composition is screwed too, because you won't see another. Judging by the general discussion threads everyone's using mostly the same ships because they're the main things available.

Anyways my progress feels hindered more by lack of ship availability than by lack of money, jobs or exp. omg alex why do you do this.

I get what you're saying, especially about feeling hindered. Making specific ships reliably accessible without making it too easy is a tricky proposition, though, and being forced to make do with stuff that isn't the best or what you'd want to have in an ideal world is a very large component of the fun. I think all in all, the game would be worse off if every faction reliably had their best stuff for sale. On the other hand, I'm not saying the current situation is ideal, either. Just that I don't see a simple solution. I'll definitely keep this in mind, though... it was already something I was aware of before the release. I think maybe more pieces need to be in place before this can be satisfactorily resolved - perhaps production (i.e. market X has the Tempest blueprint, and so is much more likely to have it for sale), perhaps people you can talk to that can procure the stuff you really want, but at a premium. There are possibilities.

For now, your best bet is probably starting trouble with the factions that has the stuff you want, and then getting it that way - especially for weapons, though boarding is of course an option too.

This, this entirely. I'm definitely digging the new mechanics in the new update (not to mention the great sound/music design, Stian knocked it out of the park there yet again!), but the game did lose a fair bit of the "look at my awesome fleet built out of the ships I love most stomping everything" that the older versions had. I strongly feel that once more mechanics (and maybe more options for ships, weapons and the like) start rolling around that that will become less and less of an issue. I'd imagine you still wouldn't be able to reliably get every ship in the game (which is good!), but I can see more seriously fun (and unique to a specific playthrough) fleet compositions being a thing then.

On a related note, maybe having more stations per system could be a thing? Combine that with a few more active fleets running around and you've already got more options, both in potential engagements and possible merchandise. I'm not sure exactly how this would work out, but I could personally see more shops with less overall stuff to sell (due to trade fleet counts not being increased by the same amount) working out pretty well. Might also allow the player to set up certain stations from one faction to be very stable, while others are overrun with crime complete with all the benefits and detriments to be found there. Then again, maybe I'm just superimposing my own gameplay style here. :P

EDIT: Wow, just found out a lot of planets themselves can also trade you stuff. That changes the situation a bit, though that really wasn't all that easy to find out. O.o"
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:58:01 AM by XpanD »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 24, 2014, 04:15:19 AM »

I'm enjoying the new patch. I'm being a pirate, and everyone else is Vengeful towards me. I think it would be nice if the player had more options after they *** everyone off, as it's kind of annoying that there are only 4 stations that I can dock at. Perhaps it could interact with the stability system - if a station gets to 0 stability, you can dock there and interact with the markets (open and black) whatever your reputation with the owning faction. I think it's a bit weird that I can't find anyone to trade with me on Maxios (a government-less independent wilderness) despite all the freighters I have blown up.

It would also be fun if bringing lots of booty back to a pirate station to sell (on the open market) increased that station's stability, and perhaps resulted in more ships and weapons on the market there.

There are pirate planets out there, so the stations aren't the only place to trade.  I think there's one in Askonia, for example.  There's usually at least one pirate place to trade with in each system, so explore them a bit.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 24, 2014, 05:07:03 AM »

The skin system is very interesting, lots of potential for development in the future, especially for mods.

So here are my questions: Will there be any reason for the player to use D ships? Because as of right now there's no reason to pour the same amount of supplies in an inferior ship.
 Or are they just for lore/content purposes?

Will there be upgraded/modified versions of ships?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:08:44 AM by Sabaton »

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 24, 2014, 05:35:49 AM »

So here are my questions: Will there be any reason for the player to use D ships? Because as of right now there's no reason to pour the same amount of supplies in an inferior ship.
 Or are they just for lore/content purposes?

Will there be upgraded/modified versions of ships?

I flew a decommissioned ship before as that was the best I could get at the time. It had a few flux issues, but it was capable enough otherwise and lasted me until I got a proper cruiser and a bunch of destroyers. Don't forget you might also be able to loot a higher-up ship that's decommissioned if you get lucky in combat, which would make it an interesting candidate for actual use too.

As for upgraded/modified versions of ships, there's already a few that fit the bill when it comes to lore. Think Tarsus > Condor and Buffalo > Buffalo Mk.II as some of the more obvious examples. There's also the "Convert..." option when in the Refit interface, so maybe that's going to be something as well.

Olix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 24, 2014, 05:50:24 AM »

There are pirate planets out there, so the stations aren't the only place to trade.  I think there's one in Askonia, for example.  There's usually at least one pirate place to trade with in each system, so explore them a bit.

There's one place to dock in Askonia, two in Corvus and one in Magec. There's no where in Valhalla, Eos or Arcadia.

I don't think that's a problem, really. I just think it would be fun if it were still possible to access the forbidden stations/planets in some circumstances.

Msahn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 24, 2014, 06:40:33 AM »

Hello guys, now this is great =] we had a really good combat game which now received a nice world to populate it. As always Hats off to you Sir Alex

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 24, 2014, 07:24:46 AM »

If the player has mid to high Technology, some of the (D)s are usable, at least as cheap freighters.  So far, I have boarded and captured Cerberus, Wolf, and Mule ships.  The main deterrent of boarding (D)s is abysmally slow burn speed, which high Navigation may fix.

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 24, 2014, 08:27:28 AM »

Oh my.
Alex i just noticed some new level of detail ..

I've been flying to magec to check one of the new systems.
Found this pirate station ( description : "... protected by a cloud of stealth-mines and crude firebases ..." )
well you can't see the mines since they are stealthed .. but the firebases .. you can see them !!  ::)

Hell , i've to look more into the details you're putting into the game!
some are barely visible. Gotta catch em all  ;D

Edit : They are around other stations , too . But still didn't notice before !
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:45:05 AM by Chronosfear »
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 24, 2014, 08:29:19 AM »

Ooh, I didn't catch that. Now I want to try and launch a raid on the base, dodging mines and fixed emplacements...

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 24, 2014, 09:05:04 AM »

Funnily enough, I think my favorite thing has been all the new faction and place descriptions. Absolutely loved all the tid-bits in Sindria, the refugees etc. First thing I did was get enough money for fuel to fly around and visit everything to read the descriptions :D

:)  (Coming up with this stuff and tying it all together is super fun. Glad you're enjoying it! I'm looking forward to putting in all sorts of new cool stuff, some entirely new, and some that gives different perspectives and additional depth to the existing setting.)

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 24, 2014, 10:41:58 AM »

Will the Buffalo Mk.II get a new look to match the Buffalo's new sprite?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32