Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32

Author Topic: Starsector 0.65a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 257866 times)

Dratai

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.65a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #345 on: October 23, 2014, 08:01:36 AM »

More stuff!
Though less so worries than compliments, this time.

The sounds are great, the events are interesting (seeing as not all of possible food shortages, etc, result in actual shortages). The new systems look -beautiful- and I am not entirely sure but I think the little drone frigate skiff was added this patch?
The one that spawns mining drones.
I love those things.

The sound choices are great, the music too, and I hope we get more like this in the future.
This update also hooked some of my friends... xD

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 23, 2014, 08:31:43 AM »

Not quite sure on the "Shielded cargo holds" mechanic. Does having this one ship in my fleet mean all illegal cargo will be counted as shielded? Hows this work.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 23, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »

Also, can't find any Conquests. Not sure if this is because I can't trade with Pirates (I'm already at -100 rep, oh well), or if I just can't find it anymore.
Super close to just destabilizing the whole place by buying up huge warships and raiding Eos for giggles.

For a Conquest, I think your best (and possibly only) bet is the black market on an unstable independent world.

Dear Alex,

I love you. In a very manly kind of way  :-\

From me.

Seriously though, I have been checking the blog every day for many a month now, this is the update I have been waiting for. I couldn't even play after I downloaded it till now, just too excited. Its good to know there is a dev out there that does things right. I am loving the new music, also everything else about it. Going back to playing now..
More stuff!
Though less so worries than compliments, this time.

The sounds are great, the events are interesting (seeing as not all of possible food shortages, etc, result in actual shortages). The new systems look -beautiful- and I am not entirely sure but I think the little drone frigate skiff was added this patch?
The one that spawns mining drones.
I love those things.

The sound choices are great, the music too, and I hope we get more like this in the future.
This update also hooked some of my friends... xD

Thank you!!!

Not quite sure on the "Shielded cargo holds" mechanic. Does having this one ship in my fleet mean all illegal cargo will be counted as shielded? Hows this work.

It depends on the cargo capacity of the ship(s) with the mod. That's matched up against the amount of illegal cargo you have, and that ratio factors into the odds of stuff being detected.

silalus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 23, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »

You could put words to the numbers; "common", "licensed", "restricted", "forbidden" for example. Although how that'd make sense across all factions is a problem.

What about defining that list of words by faction? That might be a good compromise between flavor and practicality. You'd still need to learn about each faction to meaningfully interpret tier, but well educated min/maxers could spot them at a glance.

(And personally I'd like to see those words in the usual white/blue/green/purple/yellow colors... but perhaps that's too ordinary.)

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 23, 2014, 04:08:57 PM »

For a Conquest, I think your best (and possibly only) bet is the black market on an unstable independent world.

Would it not make more sense for higher tier ships used by independents to be available in their market with a high enough reputation? I know "independent military" might not make a ton of sense, but then again neither does pirate military.

Also; I didn't want to make a new thread for it, and I know it's been mentioned already, but I felt like I had to add my voice to the fray and say what is with engine damage? I swear I get twice as many or more flameouts than I used to. It feels like if anything so much as gives the engines on my Falcon a moist glance they go out. I never remember having this issue in previous versions.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:14:58 PM by ahrenjb »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 23, 2014, 04:12:43 PM »

I didn't want to make a new thread for it, and I know it's been mentioned already, but I felt like I had to add my voice to the fray and say what is with engine damage?

I swear I get twice as many or more flameouts than I used to. It feels like if anything so much as gives the engines on my Falcon a moist glance they go out. I never remember having this issue in previous versions.

Bug; fixed for upcoming bugfix release.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #351 on: October 23, 2014, 04:14:09 PM »

• love the new main menu music
  • love the new character creation dialog system
  • love the new missile trails
  • feels like there's more activity in the universe / feels more alive
  • intel screen feels initially complex, but later feels just right

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 23, 2014, 04:23:52 PM »

http://puu.sh/cnZLC/7e1f059e97.png

You have a bug where the regular expression/parser/whatever that is supposed to light up the duration of the bounty is lighting up the reward instead. I think it's just a tiny text handling error, but I thought you should know anyway.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 23, 2014, 04:36:36 PM »

Thanks - yep, was reported here the other day :)
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8349.0

• love the new main menu music
  • love the new character creation dialog system
  • love the new missile trails
  • feels like there's more activity in the universe / feels more alive
  • intel screen feels initially complex, but later feels just right

Eeeexcellent.

Glad the intel screen is... learnable, I guess is the word. It's a lot of information for the UI to try and present.

Fed993

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 23, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »

After playing for about two hours, I'm still hooked. The new campaign adds a lot to the startup, whereas in previous games I could simply grab a mercury, refit it with some reapers, and take out a buffalo to get money quick. Amazing work, probably won't sleep tonight to try master this new version :D

Keep up the good work, Starsector is, and probably always will be, my favorite game ;D

Flunky

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 23, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »

I've barely played the new version, but I just had to take a moment to say:

An algorithmic, self-modifying corporate charter? Brilliant(ly evil). The faction descriptions do help hammer home the current state of the region.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 23, 2014, 07:18:58 PM »

i get the feeling a lot of ships and items have vanished from the world. I have 100 reputation with hegemony, tritach, and independent and access to the other 2 factions military markets and have yet to see an omen, an apogee, conquest, odyssey, hyperion, astral, venture, tempest, an aurora, affliction, or a doom. I stumbled onto a shade at the black market of a tritach non military planet, not a clue why it was there, doesn't seem to be any reasoning to it. Why have all these ships if you cant find and use so many of them, if you do manage to find one and it dies your fleet composition is screwed too, because you won't see another. Judging by the general discussion threads everyone's using mostly the same ships because they're the main things available.

Anyways my progress feels hindered more by lack of ship availability than by lack of money, jobs or exp. omg alex why do you do this.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 23, 2014, 07:29:10 PM »

Not just ships, but weapons too.  The starter heavy blaster I got for my starter Wolf has been FAR more valuable than the meager extra cash or superior crew.  I found my first (non-starter) heavy blaster in a black market after I surpassed level 30.  Even if I found a blaster earlier, I probably could not have bought it until I reach cooperative with a faction that sold it.

Protip:  If your starter options include better weapon, always take it!  Money and crew experience will come quickly enough, but that quality weapon you can get may not.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 23, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »

Not just ships, but weapons too.  The starter heavy blaster I got for my starter Wolf has been FAR more valuable than the meager extra cash or superior crew.  I found my first (non-starter) heavy blaster in a black market after I surpassed level 30.  Even if I found a blaster earlier, I probably could not have bought it until I reach cooperative with a faction that sold it.

Protip:  If your starter options include better weapon, always take it!  Money and crew experience will come quickly enough, but that quality weapon you can get may not.

I agree with this! The Wolf it started in has been shot out from under me, but that Heavy Blaster is the main firepower on my only ship - a lucky Heron find. To be fair I have seen 1 other blaster (and immediately snatched it up!).

Ionise

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 23, 2014, 07:50:42 PM »

Game is great right now. The only thing missing is the ability to take stations and found your own faction. No doubt we'll have mods for such soon enough.

Great work, Alex. There are so few games that I play year on year and Starsector never fails to recapture my imagination with each patch!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32