Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32

Author Topic: Starsector 0.65a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 257946 times)

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.65a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #330 on: October 22, 2014, 05:35:59 PM »

Energy weapons also tend to be equipped on ships with great speed and flux dissipation (wolf, medusa, eagle) and don't use any ammo.

EDIT: Energy weapons generally don't have limited (non-regenerating) ammo.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:29:06 PM by Toxcity »

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 22, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »

Energy weapons also tend to be equipped on ships with great speed and flux dissipation (wolf, medusa, eagle) and don't use any ammo.

The nontrivial exceptions of the antimatter blaster - plus all burst-style energy weapons - politely disagrees with your last phrase.
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #332 on: October 22, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »

The nontrivial exceptions of the antimatter blaster - plus all burst-style energy weapons - politely disagrees with your last phrase.

The antimatter blaster has so much ammo as to be effectively limitless; a battle must be very long indeed for it to run dry.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 22, 2014, 06:47:47 PM »

The antimatter blaster has so much ammo as to be effectively limitless; a battle must be very long indeed for it to run dry.

Same can be said for almost all ballistic weapons too, so the infinite ammo of energy weapons really isn't much of a selling point.

By far the most important characteristics of weapons are; range and DPS/flux.

In that regard missiles are obviously King, with ballistics a distant 2nd. Energy weapons aren't even in the same ball park.

If DPS/OP is the *only* concern, then I'll concede energy weapons are marginally better than ballistics.... however, DPS/OP is almost never more important than range or DPS/flux.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 22, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »

I agree that ammo isn't a very important consideration.

I think your point on DPS/OP is wrong because it does not consider the types of ships that mount energy weapons. They tend to be more mobile than their ballistic counterparts - capable of hit and run tactics where alpha strikes, overwhelming an enemy, and raw damage output are most important. These are ships that can control the pace and range of engagement. Yes longer range weapons will shoot them a bit on the approach (maybe!), but in general they can get in, overwhelm, and get out to vent. IMO the only real failure in this role is the Aurora, though with the missile tweaks it may re-emerge as the premier missile ship (if only large mount missiles were better!). Of course if an Aurora with 3 Heavy Blasters actually catches something, it tears them to shreds...

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 22, 2014, 07:13:45 PM »

Loving the update so far. There are a few minor improvements I'd like to see to the UI, though:
  • The ship/weapon information tooltips could use a 'tier' entry. This would make it easier to judge what's available to you while browsing through the Codex.
  • When you can't fit a weapon in the market refit screen it's always black. A lot of the time you'll go to this screen to shop for upgrades while already at max OP, so perhaps it should retain a bit of the red tinge if it's black market?
  • When you're stopped for a toll and they tell you the price, it should probably also display how many credits you currently have. ;)

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 22, 2014, 07:17:35 PM »

So I guess we can't get Odysseys or Apogees anymore? Haven't found any over the whole sector, checking both Tri-Tach and Independent markets.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 22, 2014, 07:27:11 PM »

Finally got the opportunity to delve into the game a bit deeper today, and I am very happy with what I found there.  Especially the atmospheric density is impressive, the game world feels so alive and dynamic. Trading is actually really quite entertaining (which is no something I'd say about many games that have it), though not yet quite as convenient as it could be. Combat is much more fun too, mainly due to the missile changes. Looking forward to spending more time in the Sector in the coming weeks.

There's one lovely detail I want to mention because, I think, nobody else did yet: The individual, fitting sound each commodity item makes when dropped is just perfect. :)

Glad someone noticed those sounds, that was something Stian put a lot of work into :)

• The ship/weapon information tooltips could use a 'tier' entry. This would make it easier to judge what's available to you while browsing through the Codex.
  • When you can't fit a weapon in the market refit screen it's always black. A lot of the time you'll go to this screen to shop for upgrades while already at max OP, so perhaps it should retain a bit of the red tinge if it's black market?
  • When you're stopped for a toll and they tell you the price, it should probably also display how many credits you currently have. ;)

Noted! Not entirely sure on exposing "tier" as a player-facing property, though.

So I guess we can't get Odysseys or Apogees anymore? Haven't found any over the whole sector, checking both Tri-Tach and Independent markets.

Your best legal bet is Tibicena in the Magec system - it's the only Tri Tachyon military base. Also, any unstable Tri-Tachyon markets have a chance to have military craft on the black market, so they might be worth a check. It's not super likely, though.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 22, 2014, 07:28:38 PM »

I agree that ammo isn't a very important consideration.

I think your point on DPS/OP is wrong because it does not consider the types of ships that mount energy weapons. They tend to be more mobile than their ballistic counterparts - capable of hit and run tactics where alpha strikes, overwhelming an enemy, and raw damage output are most important. These are ships that can control the pace and range of engagement. Yes longer range weapons will shoot them a bit on the approach (maybe!), but in general they can get in, overwhelm, and get out to vent. IMO the only real failure in this role is the Aurora, though with the missile tweaks it may re-emerge as the premier missile ship (if only large mount missiles were better!). Of course if an Aurora with 3 Heavy Blasters actually catches something, it tears them to shreds...

Ok, I was obviously setting myself up for a fall by making a sweeping statement regarding *all* energy weapons being bad; this is of course false, everything has a niche.

There do exist energy weapons that fulfill the alpha strike niche (AM Blaster, Mining Blaster, Heavy Blaster, Plasma Cannon), where no comparable ballistic weapons exist.

However:
1) Missiles fill the alpha strike roll *so much better* than Energy weapons; they do more damage, and free up more of your flux for shielding yourself during your hit&run maneuver.
2) What about all the mid-line energy weapons that compete directly with their ballistic counterparts? Pulse Laser, IR Pulse Laser, Autopulse, Mjolnir? They're all terrible by comparison.
3) What about PD? Energy based PD options are all* laughably bad compared to flak & vulcans.

*Burst PD used to be passably good before it was inexplicably nerfed a few versions ago (and oddly, vulcans buffed to the god-tier weapon we have today)

Anyhow, this is going way off topic. That's enough from me.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 22, 2014, 07:36:45 PM »

Noted! Not entirely sure on exposing "tier" as a player-facing property, though.

You could put words to the numbers; "common", "licensed", "restricted", "forbidden" for example. Although how that'd make sense across all factions is a problem.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 22, 2014, 07:37:50 PM »

Yeah, the Commodity sounds are great.

Also, is it just me, or do Salamander Pods and Sabot Pods seemingly never show up? I've never seen one.

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 22, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »

Also, can't find any Conquests. Not sure if this is because I can't trade with Pirates (I'm already at -100 rep, oh well), or if I just can't find it anymore.
Super close to just destabilizing the whole place by buying up huge warships and raiding Eos for giggles.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 22, 2014, 09:49:10 PM »

Your best legal bet is Tibicena in the Magec system - it's the only Tri Tachyon military base. Also, any unstable Tri-Tachyon markets have a chance to have military craft on the black market, so they might be worth a check. It's not super likely, though.
Hmmmmm... I'm getting tons of Odysseys at Tibicena. No Apogees though, which is just as well because I always feel forced to buy it if its available (seriously, best cruiser in the game...).

On playing around with 0.65 a bit more, looking at prices on the intel map feels a little weird sometimes. The current implementation is great for small numbers of pricing events, but if there's too many, it can be difficult to figure out whats going on. It will mention stuff like "Event X at Asharu." This can be a little confusing until you learn all the market names, might help if you saw a picture of where Asharu was on a system map with the name of the system map at the top (if you clicked on an individual event). Or something. Anyhow minor gripe, the system as it stands is quite good!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:24 PM »

I have yet to see any non pirate cruiser or larger ship hull in the BM
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Madao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 23, 2014, 06:16:26 AM »

Dear Alex,

I love you. In a very manly kind of way  :-\

From me.

Seriously though, I have been checking the blog every day for many a month now, this is the update I have been waiting for. I couldn't even play after I downloaded it till now, just too excited. Its good to know there is a dev out there that does things right. I am loving the new music, also everything else about it. Going back to playing now..
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32