Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Humanity's True Future  (Read 9391 times)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Humanity's True Future
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 06:47:27 AM »

Asteroid impact cannot be "overdue" it's just random, because objects in space don't lose their velocity unless another force acts upon them, two rocks could have collided and a killer asteroid broke off and is headed our way now. Or it might be blocked or pulled by something else millions of light years on it's path to Earth, We just have no way of knowing until it gets closer.
There is pattern, every X year we get hit with asteroid, every Y year we got super volcano eruption, every Z years we got earthquake that creates super tsunami etc. Well i don't remember it, was long time ago when i watch that scientific show. Anyway there is simple pattern, we get hit by something big every ~600k years (i think) and last time we got hit with something big was ~640K years ago, sooooo our asteroid friend is a bit "late"  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 07:24:08 AM »

Just because your overdue for an event, don't make it more probable.
Instead of saying 1 asteroid hit every 60k years.
It should be 1/60k chance a asteroid hit in a year.

Maths  ???

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 07:54:56 AM »

Wait, so your saying there is same probability for hit, lets say, 1 year after hit and 600k years after hit? Or i'm getting something wrong?

edit: Or you are saying that after 600k every year have same chance?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:57:10 AM by arcibalde »
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »

Asteroid hit overdue? Well, technically our little corner of space isn't all that 'active' anymore; things settle down as time goes by. So theoretically the chance of Earth being nuked gets smaller every day. That's my logic speaking anyway.

Now there are still plenty of asteroids in the Kuiper Belt ofcourse, of which some might be flung our way, and rogue asteroids cruisin' through space. But we're a small target in the vastness of space, so I don't think we'd need to worry that much.
(Well, ofcourse I don't think we'd need to worry about it anyway, it's not that we can do anything about it. :) )

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 08:14:13 AM »

Overdue for asteroid impact is a ridiculous concept. It is a random event, uninfluenced by previous asteroid impacts.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Witention

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2014, 12:00:33 AM »

So True.
Pages: 1 2 [3]