Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Argamede Union (WIP) v0.1  (Read 12953 times)

Shellster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Argamede Union (WIP) v0.1
« on: February 27, 2014, 12:16:17 AM »

Argamede Union v0.1

This mod is a very early release of a new faction I've been working on recently. At the moment it's just a test mission where you can try out 8 ships, which I have kit bashed. I have tried to balance them but they most likely need tweaks so let me know what you think and give me any suggestions on how I can improve them :). Later on I hope to make it campaign integrated.

Ships
I've tried to make the ships have a consistent and unique style however at the moment they lack colour, which I'm currently experimenting with but nothing has suited them yet.

As I said any feedback and suggestions is greatly appreciated whether it be on balance, sprites or just the general feel of the mod.

Download:
Argamede Union v0.1

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
Re: Argamede Union (WIP) v0.1
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 12:40:15 AM »

Hi mate!

I've seen your ships before in Spriter's judgement, good job making those.

Just wanted to give you my mental support in making this.

If you run into problems I would be happy to help.

Keep it up!

PS: The fighters are my favourite!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:08:04 AM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Shellster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 02:28:25 AM »

Thanks Tecrys! Appreciate the comments :). BTW I really like the mod your currently working on too, so unique!

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 04:03:55 AM »

Nice, cohesive theme. Re: color maybe this would be of use? http://colorschemedesigner.com/

haloguy1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 03:42:36 PM »

Those are some  nice ships my opinion the colour of the ship is perfect dont know why but they look good really nice on them.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 04:43:55 PM »

Hm, good question on the colour scheme, they look a bit dull without some kind of defining colour for the faction. All they need is a splash of colour, look at the Valkyrie faction. They used to have no defining red colour stripes on them. They looked quite boring and dull, with a splash of red on them they became quite appealing and interesting. Maybe put some blue stripes on them to liven them up.

I noticed on the largest ship that the turret mounts on the flanks don't blend well with the inclining edges that lead to the top of the ship. I think that the beveled edge should have a curvature away from the turret mounts so it looks like they're part of the ship rather than sitting on top of the ship sprite.

Otherwise, well done, looking forward to the development of this faction.

Shellster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 10:01:12 PM »

Thanks guys :)

Nice, cohesive theme. Re: color maybe this would be of use? http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Wow thats a really cool website! Will have to have a closer look at it, thanks.

Those are some  nice ships my opinion the colour of the ship is perfect dont know why but they look good really nice on them.

Thanks haloguy, I will be leaving the grey scheme but I definitely think they need some sort of colour to stand out.

Hm, good question on the colour scheme, they look a bit dull without some kind of defining colour for the faction. All they need is a splash of colour, look at the Valkyrie faction. They used to have no defining red colour stripes on them. They looked quite boring and dull, with a splash of red on them they became quite appealing and interesting. Maybe put some blue stripes on them to liven them up.

I noticed on the largest ship that the turret mounts on the flanks don't blend well with the inclining edges that lead to the top of the ship. I think that the beveled edge should have a curvature away from the turret mounts so it looks like they're part of the ship rather than sitting on top of the ship sprite.

Otherwise, well done, looking forward to the development of this faction.

Yeah the Valkyrie ships stand out really well with the red armour sections. I'm also thinking blue would be the best colour to go with, i'll try some blue stripes and see how it turns out.

Good point on the turret mounts too, I think ill either bring them in closer to the centre or do what you said.

Cheers.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »

Played around a little, so far I think some weapon arks need to be lowered, the ability to 360 focus fire with all of its 4 large guns gives the battleship an unfair advantage over everything.
 Also will this be an advanced faction? Kinda looks like it.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 11:04:58 AM »

I think a gold color would be neat!

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 05:18:08 PM »

Or red and gold Iron Man theme

Shellster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 10:37:30 PM »

@Sabaton: Yeah the 360 degree does give it a huge advantage, ill probably reduce this to around 180-270 degrees. This should also give the rear medium slots more use at defending the engines. I'm thinking of leaving the battlecruisers 360 degree arcs since it only has 2 large weapons slots, I might raise its fleet points by 2 or something though.
Im thinking borderline advanced so not as advanced as TT.

@Foxer: Yeah gold may look good, do you mean in the form of stripes?

@Debido: Haha yeah, I tried red stripes though and it didn't look bad but I think blue suits them more.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 02:08:02 AM »

Oooh, I really like the look of these guys. The two ships on the right side are my favorite and the fighters are AWESOME looking!

If you're still looking for a good color, I would suggest a nice desaturated maroon.

Shellster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 03:45:20 AM »

Thanks kazi :) I like the way those ones turned out, probably my favourites as well. I'm glad people like the fighters too cause the other stuff i've done by scratch has been awful haha.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 02:21:26 AM »

Hah, I understand what you mean about the fighters. They are too small for kitbashing/modeling (basically anything that makes spriting easier), so you get forced into making them from scratch. I actually think your fighters are significantly better than mine :P.

I really like the style you've got going for these ships. The only change I'd recommend is to break up the outline of the two capital ships and left-most sprite. Long, straight sides aren't quite as visually interesting as when you change things up. I typically try to avoid flat sides/repetitive elements longer than an inch. The cruiser below the fighters is an excellent example of flat sides "done right" - there are very few repetitive bits and the long, straight sides are interesting because you add new features and details constantly along the hull.

You can also reduce the "mirror" affect by adding little bits of asymmetric details like battle damage, paint inconsistencies, etc. on top of the sprite.

Shellster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 04:01:20 AM »

Cheers for the compliment :) I definitely wouldn't say they are better though, your sprites are awesome!

I can see what you mean by the repetitiveness of the larger ships though, especially in the middle section of the larger capital. This was mainly due to trouble finding different pieces that would fit, but i'll go over them for sure and try and add more variation in the sides. Appreciate the feedback, thanks :)
Pages: [1] 2