Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Antimatter Blaster needs a ammo nerf  (Read 2692 times)

Regoso

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Antimatter Blaster needs a ammo nerf
« on: February 16, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »

id suggest lowering it to 12~15 as atm i have never run out of ammo this well have a side effect of making the expanded magazines more useful for the weapon.

I mainly use it on a centaur-class cruiser i have 7~8 of them on and 2 volleys blows up pretty much anything that doesnt have a really powerful shield this includes Capital ships. It just feels OP like really OP to be able to blow anything out of space with 2 volleys.

Please note im still new to the game so maybe im wrong if so please ignore but i use them on everything to burst down ALL THE THINGS!!!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Antimatter Blaster needs a ammo nerf
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:27:49 AM »

In big fights, where I send a single champion ship to smash a defense fleet, I have no problem using all 20 shots from multiple blasters.  Occasionally, even 30 (+10 from Expanded Magazines) is not enough.  Expanded Magazines is already useful for heavy Antimatter Blaster use.  Antimatter blaster is one of the most expensive light weapons in the game to mount.  It had better be worth the OP spent.

EDIT - I see, you use a mod ship that can mount several.  The most blasters I would mount on a standard ship (and focus fire all of them at one target) would be six on a Doom.  For smaller ships, I can mount up to four at most.  Even with Expanded Magazines, 120 shots from four blasters is not enough to defeat a defense fleet.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:34:34 AM by Megas »

Regoso

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 10:38:54 AM »

sorry i didnt relies the centaur was from a mod. it still seems really powerful compared to the laser weapons. But i see your point about how much it cost in OP for a light weapon.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »

Standard beams in the standard game are not assault weapons in (unmodded) Starsector.  Other games may have beams as superweapons, but not here.  Beams were designed for point defense or harassment roles.  Beams are flux efficient but weak.  At the other end you have blasters that are very strong but are costly in terms of flux and OP.  Pulse lasers are the middle-of-the-road energy weapon, between beams and blasters.  This is for standard weapons.  If you get beams from other mods, like Neutrino Corp, you can find superweapons like Phased Array Cannon that can one-shot ships.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:39:44 PM »

The AM Blaster is the equivalent of a knife. Very short ranged and very high power. Most ships cannot effectively utilize it, being too brutish and slow and the ships that are fast enough and nimble enough to make good use of it are also not particularly durable. It's a fairly niche weapon to use, I don't think it needs much of a change.