Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 3D(-ish) vanilla sprites  (Read 12541 times)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
Re: Better Vanilla Sprites
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 03:30:42 PM »

@kazi: I agree with what Sathe said; it's quite disrespectful and arrogant to mildly modify those vanilla ships and calling them 'fixed', and this goes double because there's absolutely positively not a damn thing wrong with the original ship sprites. :(

But I am going to let you off the hook, hoping you didn't mean it that way and that you chose the wrong kind of words.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »

If we are being honest, the Heron and many of the high tech ships blow others like the Condor straight out of the water. Additionally, many of the mods here use much more lighting and look "better" than the original sprites (yes, I said it.).

Everything else aside (you're right that there's always room for improvement, etc etc), the original Condor is straight up one of my favorite sprites. I think it's *great*. You're welcome to feel differently, of course (and to do something about it!), but I do think that a lot of this is a matter of preference, not something objective.

Sathe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 03:47:26 PM »

Other modders don´t call their creation to being better than work of professional graphic artist that invested great amount of time in obtaining proper references, creating own visual style defining game and perfected blend between retro and modern style. They create interesting works, different from vanilla (some closer, some quite specific). They don´t "FIX" original sprites saying how much better are their versions. You blindly believe that your version is better, and improved.. if you call it alternate versions or something.. but nope, you had to go with "improved" or even "fixed".

Spoiler
Also, you completely miss wider view.. how they do work in the game, what atmosphere it creates as a whole. If you like SPAZ colorful stylization it doesn´t mean it is better, plenty of us like darker, subtle and more realistic style that is, to be honest, harder to achieve while keeping ships unique, so how is any stylization better than other?
[close]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:56:25 PM by Sathe »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »

Ok, guys: please stop this right now before it gets to a point where warnings or worse get handed out. To be perfectly clear: any flamey post from here on out will be removed, and the poster will be at least warned.

Kazi is doing something neat here - he's doing work and making the results of it available to the community. Which, like David said, is good stuff for various reasons. Let's not get hung up on minor details in the presentation.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 04:17:58 PM »

I quite like these adjusted sprites. Although a few (the mule and venture) seem over saturated to me.

Nice stuff ^^

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 06:02:28 PM »

i think it's about title
"better"?
acording to who ?
personally can't agree with the title
I do not claim that those sprites are bad, i like some of them (not condor blue light from the flying deck its just don't feel right along the other yellow lights from the deck ect. )

kazi i look forward to your vanilla version art style
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 06:26:10 PM »

semantics, it's just that the term 'better' implies that something is worse now.

If you want to end the flaming, all you need to do is replace the word Better with Alternative

Jees, this sounds like what they mean when someone is bothered when someone isn't Politically Correct
Kinda blown out of proportion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

In all honesty, I do like the Mule more than the vanilla one, but the new venture looks a little overdone, the hangar color is a bit heavy.

I do kinda wish to see a new gemini, it's kinda strange to look at, detailed, yet awkwardly shaped.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 06:37:58 PM »

Lol yeah, sometimes I think things would be better if we took ourselves a little less seriously. Or went outside from time to time.

Desaturated the Mule and Venture a bit. They should now more closely mimic the vanilla coloration, but with increased depth shading. You can compare them to the originals in the OP.

On another note, I think the Canadian Olympic team is better than Team USA. Yeah, I went there.  ;)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: 3D(-ish) vanilla sprites
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 07:26:06 PM »

If possible, I'd add this versions to official UsS. I feel kazi work would make vanilla feel "better" inside a compilation like UsS where a lot of the ships have similar lightning and shading.

That said, there is no kazi tuning without david spectacular base. I believe that what most mods couldn't do is give as much character and life to ships compared to the originals from david.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 07:33:19 PM »

Damn, those 3D-ish sprites are screwing with my eyes, the Venture in particular.  I love them, nonetheless. :)

Alright, my only criticism with these is that there seems to be a bit too much contrast on the edges of the sprite - aside from that, they're pretty good, the color changes are fine IMO.  The colors are more vivid as well. :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:35:00 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 02:36:50 AM »

If possible, I'd add this versions to official UsS. I feel kazi work would make vanilla feel "better" inside a compilation like UsS where a lot of the ships have similar lightning and shading.

That said, there is no kazi tuning without david spectacular base. I believe that what most mods couldn't do is give as much character and life to ships compared to the originals from david.

Yeah the reason these are so easy and quick to do is because of the good starting point, greeble-wise. The goal was to make the vanilla sprites not "stick out" as much relative to many of the modded factions. And as always, my stuff is freely available for use in, well... everything (even more so given that I started from the vanilla sprites this time).

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »

The glow spots make them look more advanced for me. I'm curious about your take on the high tech roster.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 11:12:13 AM »

While at it, I can help you add blinking lights or other decoratives to vanilla sprites. Am I going too far? :D

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 11:18:42 AM »

No at all, i think vanilla ships SHOULD have blinking lights, question is why they don't have it yet. more or less all current updated mods have it, i guess eye candy like that comes after everything else? ::)

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »

No at all, i think vanilla ships SHOULD have blinking lights, question is why they don't have it yet. more or less all current updated mods have it, i guess eye candy like that comes after everything else? ::)

I am doing a lot of animated stuff for BGE atm and that tought me a lesson: Animation takes a hell lot of time. I think that is the reason why blinking lights are not in vanilla.
I think the time saved on animating stuff is well used on updating the main game.
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0
Pages: 1 [2]