Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Gun Runners mod 1.06 for Starfarer 0.53a (previously Tri-Tachyon Station mod)  (Read 104032 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

It probably can work with .52a, just that the station will have to be there from the start.  Alex said it probably won't be fixed.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

It probably can work with .52a, just that the station will have to be there from the start.  Alex said it probably won't be fixed.

Did I? I don't think I did, but in any case, it's fixed in the dev version.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

Hmm, yeah, there's a good chance that adding the station on the fly (iirc, he added it at the 30 days mark) no longer works.
Unless I missed something (which I probably did), then it's not coming back.

EDIT:
OK, saw the next page. ;D Sorry!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 01:45:31 PM by TheSoldier »
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile

Ah, I see. So in theory, if I mod the mod to spawn the station immediately, it should work, no?

Oddly enough, I considered trying that, but I wasn't familiar enough with the scripting/code to know what I needed to edit. Guess I'll hunt down the variable I need to edit. I did find it mildly annoying waiting 30 days before the Gunrunners showed up when I was doing testing. ^_^

EDIT: Okay... So after some futzing with Trial & Error(tm), I was able to get the station to spawn on sector creation (set to Corvus IV) as well as setting the initial spawn point for GR raider and Def fleets. I essentially copied and edited the one-time only part (the section that actually spawns the station) of GRConvoySpawnPoint.java over to GRModGen.java. Only problem is I can't figure out how to get the station to spawn with initial cargo. (It spawns with ships and the pardons though.) I can't get a port of the addCargo function to work in GRModGen:

Quote from: GRConvoySpawnPoint.java
Spoiler
private void addCargo(CargoAPI cargo, int count) {
      List weaponIds = getSector().getAllWeaponIds();
    for (int i = 0; i < weaponIds.size(); i++) {
      String weaponId = (String) weaponIds.get((int) i);
      cargo.addWeapons(weaponId, count);
    }
    cargo.addCrew(CrewXPLevel.ELITE, 25);
    cargo.addCrew(CrewXPLevel.VETERAN, 200);
   }
[close]

I get an error regarding "getSector()" being undefined:

Quote from: starfarer.log
Spoiler
A method named "getSector" is not declared in any enclosing class nor any supertype, nor through a static import
[close]

I have no clue how to properly define it >_< Well, at least I have access to the mod and its features now; better than nothing. I just have to wait on the Gunrunner convoys to stock the station before I can buy weapons, supplies, and personnel is all. I guess I can consider it a compromise. The original mod had you wait 30 days to begin with before even having the Gunrunners in the sector at all.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:31:55 AM by StahnAileron »

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile

It should work again after the hotfix patch Alex is releasing later today. On the plus side, my mod helped catch a bug ;D

If I get some time today (busy at the moment) I'll release a new version to move the station to another planet, since the storage facility is on planet I now. I could do a version where it's there at the start, but I personally kinda like it spawning in 30 days later.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile

Couldn't you do a version where the station is already there, but the stock inventory is very low to start with? That way, the convoys to the station matter a bit more in the long term. Even more so if you make them hostile to all but one of the other factions. This would give the player incentive to either defend the convoys (so the station/depot can get its stock) or to also attack the convoys (plundering them before they get killed). Just a thought though.

Just curious: where are you thinking of planting the station now? Corvus IV or one of the Corvus III area planets? You seem to have a knack for predicting which planets get additions officially added to them later on ^_~ Isn't this like the second time you needed to move the Gunrunner station location?

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile

I uploaded a version changing the station to launch at Corvus IV instead of I. That's all I changed, so you don't need to update if you happen to prefer it on planet I with the storage station.

Couldn't you do a version where the station is already there, but the stock inventory is very low to start with? That way, the convoys to the station matter a bit more in the long term. Even more so if you make them hostile to all but one of the other factions. This would give the player incentive to either defend the convoys (so the station/depot can get its stock) or to also attack the convoys (plundering them before they get killed). Just a thought though.

Just curious: where are you thinking of planting the station now? Corvus IV or one of the Corvus III area planets? You seem to have a knack for predicting which planets get additions officially added to them later on ^_~ Isn't this like the second time you needed to move the Gunrunner station location?

I could have the station already there, but I like adding it in on the fly. It makes the mod different  ;). It works fine now that Alex fixed the bug in 0.52, so I don't see any reason to change it. Plus you could keep the station from spawning if you wanted to. Smash that convoy every 30 days and it won't ever spawn! The only mod in the game where the player can prevent a station from spawning! What a feature! :P

I put it on Corvus IV. If I remember correctly my early versions had the TT station on IV (which was an icy planet then) and the GR station on V (which was the barren one). When the TT station was added officially the names of the two planets swapped (I believe it was a typo initially) and the TT station was put on V (which is now the icy one). I then moved my GR station to Corvus I. Then the storage station was added to I, so I'm moving it to IV - which is now the barren one. So really the GR station has come full circle - it started on the barren planet and now it's back there.

SeaBee

• Commander
  • The stars are ... alive and breathing
    • View Profile

Thanks for the update, Paul! Looking forward to playing with it again this week.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Argh, my game crashed when they tried to build a station...
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Argh, my game crashed when they tried to build a station...

Do you have 0.52.1a? It's supposed to fix that.

Edit: Never mind, it's a different problem - there's a null pointer exception in GRDefenseSpawnPoint on line 30 - somehow, the player fleet looks to be null? Taking a look now.

Edit #2: And now it seems to be fine - the station spawned, the pardons are working, etc. Tried with a clean game, worked again. I'll keep an eye out, but in general, it's better to check the results of getEntityByName - or other such API calls - for being null, just to be on the safe side.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:56:29 PM by Alex »

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile

Strange. I set the convoy spawn timer to 1 day (just to make testing it quicker, no other changes) and ran 20 games. They all had the fleet spawn in and then go to the planet and spawn the station, then I waited for the defense fleet to spawn - no crash in either case on any of the games.

Anyone else having crash issues?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

Anything going to be done to this mod?  This was among my favorites in the early days of modding, but it seems to have lagged out.
And for me, no crash issues on the current version.

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile

Probably not, at least not until a new Starfarer version comes out. My goal was to create an early mod to add a little bit more content to the basic campaign but without changing it too much. Initially that was just adding a TriTachyon station when we didn't have one, then it turned into making a station with all the weapons so players could experiment with them more easily. Then came some ships that I goofed around with, mostly default ships with modded gun slots (and the mid-sized carrier, which I felt was missing). And then came the faction forgiveness thing.

When new Starfarer versions come out with added campaign functionality and greater modding support I might try adding other things, but right now there isn't really anything more I wanted to add to the game. It's fun as-is and I feel it accomplishes the goal I set for it when I started - expanding a bit on the base campaign with a couple useful features without changing it too much. There are plenty of mods out there that create tons of new content, and that's great, but it wasn't really my goal with this mod.

Plus I suck at sprite work, as my hack job of creating the few sprites I did make in the mod can attest, so making lots of new ships by myself would be out of the question  ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:11:12 PM by Paul »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

Well, I enjoyed your ships to the greatest, and I wish you luck if you decide to add anything else in the future. ;)

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile

Oh, how long has 1.05 been deleted from the thread? Just noticed it's been deleted by admin. Were we not supposed to attach mod files to the threads?

Was about to upload 1.06, guess I'll find an alternate host. Hmm, what's a good file hosting service that everyone can access?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11