Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325225 times)

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.1a] Starsector+ 3.0.0
« Reply #1845 on: December 11, 2015, 02:13:51 PM »

Crew salaries are being changed and are also optional in 3.0.1. 
Oh good. This is one of those things that looks great when you first see it, but the more you play the more it just bugs the hell out of you.

This actually made me laugh so hard. I spent almost all my remaining money on supplies and flew out to find some pirates and get some money from bounties, until it started saying I have a debt and I can't pay salaries. I was like.. "WHAT?!" I was desperately flying around looking for pirates to kill, hoping the bounty will not disappear before I find some. It was amusing in a bad way, especially after my crew started losing morale cause of it. I believe this feature is the perfect reason to get Command Experience maxed out before getting a couple of capital ships XD
Ignorance is bliss..

Euqocelbbog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: December 11, 2015, 06:29:10 PM »

Crew salaries are being changed and are also optional in 3.0.1. 
Oh good. This is one of those things that looks great when you first see it, but the more you play the more it just bugs the hell out of you.

Also looking forward to it. As it is, the cost of having a mid-sized fleet of a couple cruisers, some frigates, a destroyer, and a decent marine contingent is pretty much financially crippling if you don't do some silly micromanagement of cycling out elite crew, especially now that your ability to pursue bounties and trade is severely limited if you take a commission.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: December 11, 2015, 06:40:50 PM »

Crew salary is actually pretty balanced with Nexerelin's salary (paid to you). I can't imagine playing only with SS+ though; by the time you get to capitals you're bleeding ~30k/month.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #1848 on: December 11, 2015, 07:06:01 PM »

Salaries in SS+ are less than halved in general in 3.0.1; you might want to consider leaving it on at first.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: December 11, 2015, 08:20:11 PM »

Salaries in SS+ are less than halved in general in 3.0.1; you might want to consider leaving it on at first.

Half salaries? Sounds like the crew members got happy for no reason for a moment. Back to yearly salary being for an Elite 200 $pacebucks. Being an Elite soldier and putting your life on the line does not pay well in the universe of Starsector.
Ignorance is bliss..

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: December 11, 2015, 09:55:50 PM »

well, 200 credits could be a great deal. after all, a frigate which is probaby requires an enormous amount of (now mostly wrecked) industrial capacity to produce can be had for 5000-10000.

so, 200 credits could be easily enough to support a large extended family or after a few tours to retire comfortably on a nice planet.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: December 11, 2015, 10:22:43 PM »

Even with 400, for a large crew of 1500 souls you would pay 600000 yearly. You can make  about 700000 if you manage to buy 2000 (one superfreighter) supplies for a really low price over time (or all once if you are lucky, for around 50 and sell them around 700. 300000 extra if you sell them in a less uhmm legal market. I really do not feel $pacebucks is a problem, but indeed for someone that does not like extra micromanagement, it indeed should be annoying to keep making sure people get paid.
Ignorance is bliss..

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: December 12, 2015, 01:05:46 AM »

Even with 400, for a large crew of 1500 souls you would pay 600000 yearly. You can make  about 700000 if you manage to buy 2000 (one superfreighter) supplies for a really low price over time (or all once if you are lucky, for around 50 and sell them around 700. 300000 extra if you sell them in a less uhmm legal market. I really do not feel $pacebucks is a problem, but indeed for someone that does not like extra micromanagement, it indeed should be annoying to keep making sure people get paid.
With a crew of 1500, you probably have a fleet strong enough to take on 300k bounties, so it doesn't seems that bad even for someone that hates trading.

Also, that's pretty much the point of salaries: incentive the player to use a small fleet of elite ships rather than simply stack them up without much consequences. It also gives High Tech ships and their reduced crew a slight economical advantage since they lost some of their appeal with the Ballistic buffs from the last few patches.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: December 12, 2015, 03:08:24 AM »

Oh my god that Stheno with Level 20 officer. :o

Probe1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: December 12, 2015, 04:31:39 AM »

Why is everything for sale [Custom] rather than [Standard]?  Where is Custom defined in the code?  I'm having a lot of trouble getting into modding for SS+ because I can't find how the variant is defined.

Specifically, I radically altered the stats of the Ox for education.  Then slowly disabled mods on by one until I found the one in question that was overriding vanilla behavior.  But I can't find any file relating to Ox in \variants or \hull .  The custom system is overriding vanilla, but I don't see where and could use a hand.

Edit I've found it myself.  I can't figure out why you needed to redefine the vanilla ships but onto the next project.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:33:09 AM by Probe1 »

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: December 12, 2015, 04:36:43 AM »

Custom means bare-bone hulls, without anything on them. You never buy the complete ship, only the hull. Pre-made variants are here mostly for the reference of what exactly the ship is able to do.

miljan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: December 12, 2015, 06:01:19 AM »

How much ram would I need to run this 10 recommended faction (i have 4 gb of ram on my win 7 64bit). Would it work ok, or would i need to run less faction (I am only interested in starsector + with additional factions, without any additional mods, so no Nexerelin 0.7 or better graphics and similar)?

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: December 12, 2015, 07:07:12 AM »

With a crew of 1500, you probably have a fleet strong enough to take on 300k bounties, so it doesn't seems that bad even for someone that hates trading.

Also, that's pretty much the point of salaries: incentive the player to use a small fleet of elite ships rather than simply stack them up without much consequences. It also gives High Tech ships and their reduced crew a slight economical advantage since they lost some of their appeal with the Ballistic buffs from the last few patches.

Bounties get so high? :D Just the though made me smile.. But yes, in one way or another salaries seem fine to me.

If anything Dark Revenant , would it be hard to add multiple options like "Full Salaries", "Half Salaries" and "No Salaries"?

How much ram would I need to run this 10 recommended faction (i have 4 gb of ram on my win 7 64bit). Would it work ok, or would i need to run less faction (I am only interested in starsector + with additional factions, without any additional mods, so no Nexerelin 0.7 or better graphics and similar)?

By default your Windows, without running any other application, must be using 1.5GB - 2GB got itself. That leaves only 2GB which is how much 32bit Java can use up to. Having said that, I think you are on the limit when you use even just SS+. I am not sure it will work actually, but with all the factions I am sure your pc will struggle. When I ran SS+, Nexerelin and 6 factions, I was seeing 3.5GB used by Starsector most of the time. ALthoguh I used Nexerelin too, so I am not sure.

A test will definitely work better~
Ignorance is bliss..

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: December 12, 2015, 08:22:58 AM »

I run SS+ and 3 factions on a 32bit system with 3.5GB usable RAM; 1350mb allocated in vmparams. The stability has dropped since 0.65a as I used to run 4 factions with Nexerelin fine but now it struggles a bit and generally crashes if I quit back to the main menu and try to load again from there with just the 3 and no Nex.

The best way to find out what your system can do is to fiddle with it yourself. Such is the way in this world of billions of different computer hardware iterations.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: December 12, 2015, 08:38:21 AM »

You might also want to disable ShaderLib to add less stress to your PC.
Ignorance is bliss..
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 197