Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1329064 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.6.1
« Reply #1110 on: February 19, 2015, 07:32:27 PM »

There's a reason why the "faction download" links are provided in the OP - you have to DL them individually and enable them all with SS+ when you start up the game.  Which I very greatly enjoy, for these three reasons:

1. SS+ does not have to wait for the rest of the mods to update before he can update this mod (Uomoz's Sector suffered from this hugely).  Means much faster updates.

2. We can pick and choose what factions we want.  Sometimes I just don't want to play with Exigency, or Interstellar Imperium, or Blackrock, or any other faction.  So I can choose to leave them out (or include them).

3. Probably most importantly, you can choose to save on memory with the extra factions.  The last major update solved most of that on my end, but that was one of the reasons why I liked this mod over Uomoz's Corvus (no offense, Uomoz - ;)) - I could actually run the game without setting aside a massive hunk of memory by just playing with one or two modded factions.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 19, 2015, 07:44:01 PM »

@Dark.Revenant

I have ShaderLib on, but with everything except basic lighting disabled, since I'm running a fairly pathetic Intel HD3000. However, I don't think my GPU is the problem - I can see the leading pip when the pause screen is up, so my computer is capable of rendering it, something is just wrong with when it gets drawn.

Before 2.6/0.65.2a, I played with ShaderLib disabled completely, since memory was so much scarcer. I was surprised that the pip worked without it, but it did.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:53:54 PM by orost »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #1112 on: February 19, 2015, 08:02:31 PM »

Not without wasting server disk space and massive bandwidth for both the publisher and the end user when one requires/deserves an update while the others don't.

Uh...what? Just bundle them in one zip file, it doesn't "cost" anymore free bandwidth (massive...what?), assuming your internet isn't transferred through potato

What is the difference between "integrated faction" and "faction download?" Are the factions included in the download? Or does each faction have to be individually downloaded? (uuuuuggggggghhhh)  

How much I pay per download: X.

How much I would pay if I bundled every mod together: 2.6X.

@Dark.Revenant

I have ShaderLib on, but with everything except basic lighting disabled, since I'm running a fairly pathetic Intel HD3000. However, I don't think my GPU is the problem - I can see the leading pip when the pause screen is up, so my computer is capable of rendering it, something is just wrong with when it gets drawn.

Before 2.6/0.65.2a, I played with ShaderLib disabled completely, since memory was so much scarcer. I was surprised that the pip worked without it, but it did.

If anything, ShaderLib would interfere with it rather than enable it.  In any case, I strongly suspect it doesn't show up because you ran out of video memory.  Weird things happen when textures unload themselves to free up memory, and ShaderLib/etc don't try to reload unloaded textures when that happens; it just lets the game crash and burn.  I might change this in the future, but all that means is it will make the game chug even more for people with poor cards.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:04:22 PM by Dark.Revenant »

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 19, 2015, 08:12:39 PM »

I don't think I'm running out of memory. Why would just two specific UI elements (the Templar Priwen Burst indicator also malfunctions in exactly the same way, I think I've mentioned that) be affected, not anything else? And if the necessary resources get unloaded, how can it suddenly start working when I pause the game?

I started a new save with only SS+ and Console Commands (to quickly cheat myself to GI 5) enabled, and the exact same thing happens, and I'm definitely not low on memory - Java is using 700MB out of allowed 2GB, and total system usage is 1GB out of 4.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #1114 on: February 19, 2015, 08:14:52 PM »

I don't think I'm running out of memory. Why would just two specific UI elements (the Templar Priwen Burst indicator also malfunctions in exactly the same way, I think I've mentioned that) be affected, not anything else? And if the necessary resources get unloaded, how can it suddenly start working when I pause the game?

I started a new save with only SS+ and Console Commands (to quickly cheat myself to GI 5) enabled, and the exact same thing happens, and I'm definitely not low on memory - Java is using 700MB out of allowed 2GB, and total system usage is 1GB out of 4.

I'm talking about video memory.  Also, both those UI elements use the same type of renderer.  Have you tried the Exigency UI elements (which also do the same thing, code-wise)?

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 19, 2015, 08:31:43 PM »

I know you mean video memory, but this is an integrated GPU that uses main RAM for video memory, and I believe this particular GPU can grab up to 2GB of memory for this purpose as long as it's available (and I was showing that it was available).

I installed Exi and the indicator (which I assume is the small rectangle next to the ship system display - I've never used the mod before, so I'm not sure what to look for) behaves the same way. Not visible normally, appears when the Esc menu or the tactical map is up.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #1116 on: February 19, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »

You tested this with shaderlib off, right?

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 19, 2015, 09:08:47 PM »

Both on and off, no difference.

DefiasOne

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: February 20, 2015, 01:13:49 AM »

I want to try my hand at modding by converting Hiigaran Descendants but so far I've only managed to read up the starsector API. Ideally I want to to be able to make it so it balances out with SS+. Could anyone recommend any information that might be useful in this sense and would help me better understand how to add it to 0.65.2a? I've been digging around the forum but haven't found a lot of information about adding new systems and how to manipulate the new market. (or I need to dig further)

I have some programming experience just not in Java, but I don't see that becoming a significant issue.  Could anyone help me out a bit with what to get started?

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 20, 2015, 01:43:22 AM »

Its the mods in this pack plus updates that keep me coming back to this game every few months. Now all I have to do is wait for a few more modders to update the latest past, mainly the mayorate, and shadow yard and I will happily dive into the game for a few more weeks.

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 20, 2015, 02:06:19 AM »

Ughh... is it some humor I'm missing, or you're actually paying hoster per download of your mod? Isn't it kind of... wrong?

Now all I have to do is wait for a few more modders to update the latest past, mainly the mayorate, and shadow yard and I will happily dive into the game for a few more weeks.
As a matter of fact, all mods that were updated to 0.6.51 works fine: I'm currently running SS+ with (updated) Interstellar, Templars, Exigency; (not updated) Shadowyards, Mayorate, Citadel, Junk Pirates; (unsupported officially) Neutrino & Diable - everything works fine. I may be missing some more intricated interdependencies, but planets are there, fleets are flying, markets are trading, what's not to like!? :)

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 20, 2015, 03:24:58 AM »

Ughh... is it some humor I'm missing, or you're actually paying hoster per download of your mod? Isn't it kind of... wrong?

Now all I have to do is wait for a few more modders to update the latest past, mainly the mayorate, and shadow yard and I will happily dive into the game for a few more weeks.
As a matter of fact, all mods that were updated to 0.6.51 works fine: I'm currently running SS+ with (updated) Interstellar, Templars, Exigency; (not updated) Shadowyards, Mayorate, Citadel, Junk Pirates; (unsupported officially) Neutrino & Diable - everything works fine. I may be missing some more intricated interdependencies, but planets are there, fleets are flying, markets are trading, what's not to like!? :)
You can actually fix most of the changes to the outdated mods by editing the ships and weapons files too, if you're up for it.

I think someone said it already, but theres a bug where you get locked in trade/station UIs. I have no idea whats doing it, it happened at a vanilla station (whatever the main Diktat station is) but I figured I might as well bring it here incase you had any insight. Not game breaking, reloading fixed it fine and it hasn't happened again.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:26:41 AM by HeartofDiscord »

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 20, 2015, 04:12:26 AM »

When you pay for webhosting, you get a specific amount of bandwidth (read:amount transferred) per billing period (generally monthly). When that runs out, your service is disabled until the next billing period. That's why sometimes DR's links are dead near the end of the month.
Uh...what? Just bundle them in one zip file, it doesn't "cost" anymore free bandwidth (massive...what?), assuming your internet isn't transferred through potato
Even ignoring the hosting concerns, say a tiny bug pops up in ShaderLib that causes the game to crash. With all the requisites of the mod bundled together, instead of a 36.75MB archive, you have to download the entire 183.4MB package.
On the other hand, LazyLib isn't developed by Dark.Revenant. What happens if a glitch appears in it and DR isn't around to repackage it all? A whole lot of people confused why their mod doesn't work with what they assume is the most up-to-date package, that now have to download two copies (one inside the big broken merged package and the second fixed version from the other developer). And all that's not even touching why the factions aren't merged into one package and the fact that many of us don't play on computers capable of running all of them at once. Plus many of them work on their own without SS+, so tha'd mean keeping two forum threads maintained.

Or, you could just take the time to read the first post, note what it requires and what are optional downloads, and take a minute or two to open all the threads and click the big download link.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:14:08 AM by OOZ662 »
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 20, 2015, 06:15:09 AM »

This is pretty much why I have two kinds of object in my mods folder, compressed files, and unzipped folders. If I need to clean out the mods folder for some reason, I have both a list of mods I had before and a pile of mods that I don't need to redownload if theres no update and are working.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #1124 on: February 20, 2015, 08:22:01 AM »

I mirror the files on a VPS I own.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 197