Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325093 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.4
« Reply #780 on: January 17, 2015, 08:40:33 AM »

I've put around 6 hours in the latest SC+ version and I often see that I have a 100k bounty on my head, but nothing happens. Not once I've seen a hunter fleet follow me. What gives?
Mind you the only faction I'm hostile towards atm are the pirates.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 17, 2015, 09:02:32 AM »

I have pirate fleets intercept me in hyperspace about once a month and the occasional factionless "Bounty Hunter" chase me in-system, though much more rare.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 17, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »

I've actually had quiet a few bounty hunters chase me, although mainly pirates.  You can instantly tell they're bounty hunters from the fact that they're chasing you from across the map and are of equal strength, give or take.  My most recent one pitted me up against an Elite crewed Wolf pack, both in name and in ship.  It was pretty fun. :D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 17, 2015, 09:59:13 AM »

You can also tell by looking closely at their fleet ring/icon color; it's white, while the closest similarity is the independent's grey.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #784 on: January 17, 2015, 10:26:06 AM »

Pirates don't hire bounty hunters, although their regular fleets will sometimes specifically chase you.

It'd be pretty funny if there was a way to fake your own death and collect the bounty on yourself.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 17, 2015, 11:14:28 AM »

I am constantly harassed by "Mercenary" fleets though I do have like a mil in bounty last I checked and half the Sector hates me for trading with pirates so, y'know.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #786 on: January 17, 2015, 12:36:23 PM »

Fast fleets are more likely to slip away from bounty hunters, since they won't try to chase you if you are way faster than them.  And yeah, it's meant to scale in difficulty; if you are rocking a huge fleet and have *** a lot of people off, expect to see them try to get a piece of you every couple weeks.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 17, 2015, 12:46:27 PM »

I'm seeing something strange with AI in SS+. Enemy ships are far too eager to vent.

That was true in vanilla too, but never to this degree. Here are some examples:

* Almost always (90-ish % of the time), Wolf frigates armed with mining blasters will vent instantly after firing a shot, even if they're still at less than 50% flux and I'm right next to them with an antimatter blaster ready. They don't even attempt to retreat to a safe distance first, and they have a teleporter!
* Almost as often as above, frigates will vent a few seconds after taking an antimatter blaster hit, even if it only got their flux up to about 30% and there are other weapons pointed at them. The vast majority of my kills with a dual-AM blaster Afflictor rely on this - shoot a Wolf in the shield, wait for it to vent, shoot it again. There's nothing I could do against them otherwise, I just don't have the DPS to crack their shield nor the speed to get behind them, but they choose to expose themselves.
* Bigger ships do this to. I just slaughtered three destroyers (Sunder, Hammerhead and a Mule) plus a few frigates in a stock Tempest with no skills because they kept venting after I got their flux up to about 25% with absolutely no regard to their own safety. If they had just kept their shields up and kept firing I would have had a very hard time cracking them with my limited firepower.

I don't like to complain about AI, because I know how hard it is to get right and some faults will always be there, but when the vast majority of my kills in SS+ rely on the AI doing something suicidally stupid - and I don't have to go out of my way at all to make it do that - I think something's definitely wrong.

Beyond the standard package, the only mods I have installed are Templars, Imperium and Console Commands.

edit: I poked a Sunder around and paid more attention to what it does. I can reliably make it vent by shooting it for a few seconds to build up a small amount of flux (20% seems to be enough), backing up a little bit (couple ship lenghts) and stopping firing with the pulse laser. That makes it vent, despite the fact that the graviton beam is still on it, the terminator drone is still shooting it, and the pulse laser can be back in range in about two seconds so the threat level is still really high.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:51:23 PM by orost »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 17, 2015, 01:20:37 PM »

Saw something really weird with an afflictor today: near some enemy ships, turned on phase cloak, and suddenly I'm flying away as if something had decided "Hey, that Afflictor looks like a football!"  Went maybe five ship lengths then slowed down.  Was not able to replicate on further attempts.  I'm assuming this is likely to be a mod issue rather than a vanilla one.  Any idea what's going on?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #789 on: January 17, 2015, 01:41:27 PM »

Afflictor is a vanilla ship.  I can think of absolutely nothing that could cause this problem, so I'm tempted to think it's a vanilla issue.

Only affects the piloted ship.

I'm seeing something strange with AI in SS+. Enemy ships are far too eager to vent.

That was true in vanilla too, but never to this degree. Here are some examples:

* Almost always (90-ish % of the time), Wolf frigates armed with mining blasters will vent instantly after firing a shot, even if they're still at less than 50% flux and I'm right next to them with an antimatter blaster ready. They don't even attempt to retreat to a safe distance first, and they have a teleporter!
* Almost as often as above, frigates will vent a few seconds after taking an antimatter blaster hit, even if it only got their flux up to about 30% and there are other weapons pointed at them. The vast majority of my kills with a dual-AM blaster Afflictor rely on this - shoot a Wolf in the shield, wait for it to vent, shoot it again. There's nothing I could do against them otherwise, I just don't have the DPS to crack their shield nor the speed to get behind them, but they choose to expose themselves.
* Bigger ships do this to. I just slaughtered three destroyers (Sunder, Hammerhead and a Mule) plus a few frigates in a stock Tempest with no skills because they kept venting after I got their flux up to about 25% with absolutely no regard to their own safety. If they had just kept their shields up and kept firing I would have had a very hard time cracking them with my limited firepower.

I don't like to complain about AI, because I know how hard it is to get right and some faults will always be there, but when the vast majority of my kills in SS+ rely on the AI doing something suicidally stupid - and I don't have to go out of my way at all to make it do that - I think something's definitely wrong.

Beyond the standard package, the only mods I have installed are Templars, Imperium and Console Commands.

edit: I poked a Sunder around and paid more attention to what it does. I can reliably make it vent by shooting it for a few seconds to build up a small amount of flux (20% seems to be enough), backing up a little bit (couple ship lenghts) and stopping firing with the pulse laser. That makes it vent, despite the fact that the graviton beam is still on it, the terminator drone is still shooting it, and the pulse laser can be back in range in about two seconds so the threat level is still really high.
Some of those problems are unfixable.  It's not like I can make the AI retreat.

SS+ does, however, use custom venting AI because of the vanilla problem that ships don't like to vent even when it would be a very good idea to do so (hovering near max flux, unable to fire back, is worse than venting, taking damage, and then shooting at the enemy).  However, this kind of system is not designed for Frigate vs The World scenarios, where the AI believes their strength in numbers makes venting safer than it really is against a player pilot.  Furthermore, the AI isn't smart enough to make the complicated decision "I can't win because the target is too maneuverable and I won't be able to point at it with my guns, and my allies are too busy to come help, and the game designers intended me to be as annoying as possible before kicking the bucket", so rather than turtling up before finally dying it tries to get its weapons online as much as possible to try and punish you if you make a mistake.

That said, I've gone through some lengths to make the AI more conservative with how it chooses to vent, especially at low flux levels.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:49:28 PM by Dark.Revenant »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 17, 2015, 01:55:23 PM »

Afflictor is a vanilla ship.  I can think of absolutely nothing that could cause this problem, so I'm tempted to think it's a vanilla issue.
On further reflection, this is the second time I've seen this sort of punt-on-phase happen - the first time was with a Templar Jesuit frigate, and at the time I just assumed it was the ship's "fling projectiles away from me" ability deciding that there was too much stuff nearby and it was going to fling me away instead.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #791 on: January 17, 2015, 03:24:58 PM »

No, I've definitely seen this problem in situations lacking Templars.  Templars just phase and unphase really often (in close proximity to other ships) due to the way the priwen burst works, so they're more likely to get this sort of error.

Space Bear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 18, 2015, 03:01:33 PM »

The only thing I dislike about progress in the Starsector development cycle is not having all of my favorite factions and mods to play with.

However, as of the 65.1a update I've fallen in love with Starsector+. I've lost count of how many hours I've logged in the campaign over the past two weeks but the expanded faction standings and economy along with the few faction mods that have been updated for the latest version are more than enough to keep anyone busy.

Only thing I would like to see change (not sure if it's even a product of Starsector+) is starting smack dab in the middle of Jangala in the Corvus system regardless of what faction standings are generated in character creation.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 18, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »

Only thing I would like to see change (not sure if it's even a product of Starsector+) is starting smack dab in the middle of Jangala in the Corvus system regardless of what faction standings are generated in character creation.

Yis, I agree with this, but if I remember right, that's not a possibility at the moment- I forget why.

Deathfly

• Modders' Vanguard
  • Commander
  • Murdered by T. H. Morgan
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 19, 2015, 06:16:49 AM »

When i play SS+ with some non-integrated factions (like SCY and The Crystanitez) something strang happen.

i found that the non-integrated factions sametime may trying to post a person bounty. But it will expire immediately and saying some other fleet had been take it out.

i guess there are something wrong happening when the taget fleet is spawning.

SCY and The Crystanitez should be clear, because i can remember that i used to engaged a Crystanitez fleet in Acheron F and the Crystanitez ship's heavy armour very impress me.

Maybe Junk Pirates or Neutrino Corp involved in but i'm not sure.
A not-so-noob functional geneticist
And a free bug hunter
Code and decode almost everythings with a genomics approach.
Served in Neutrino corporation as a long-term services and supports staff.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 197