Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325100 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: [0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.0.7
« Reply #510 on: November 19, 2014, 12:27:56 PM »

It's not my responsibility to balance other mods, just vanilla.  If MShadowy won't change it, you're out of luck, unfortunately.

I can't make supplies more expensive or whatever just to balance Anar; not everyone uses Shadowyards.  Plus, I think the main problem of supplies is cargo space; if you have a big fight, you might not have enough supplies to repair your stuff without buying more supplies.  Bringing an Atlas with you to carry all the supplies you need is certainly a significant tax.  Making consumption even higher wouldn't make supplies harder to fund, it would just make ships impossible to run through multiple fights.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 19, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »

I've actually seen supply prices on Jangala at I want to say 50 credits. So it definitely is possible to get em cheap. Also Anar is quite far away from most systems so you do burn a not insignificant chunk of fuel and supplies so I don't see the issue.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 19, 2014, 05:12:42 PM »

Related economy issue: I've noticed at the game's start the price of supply is consistently 200+ credits in all systems, but the overproduction in Anar can depresses it as low as ~60 credits (I think in vanilla games it never drops below ~90, even with favourable coniditions and high stability on producing planets). I've brought it up with the mod (Shadowyards) creator, but (s)he doesn't seem to care much as they'd rather attract more players to their home system.

As Dark noted, this isn't really the place to bring up Shadowyards related issues.

Beyond that, the price differential between Shadowyards and vanilla is not, in my experience, nearly so severe as you've stated.  Something like <10% to ~25% depending on the market; it does appear to be true that a more pronounced change can be noted on less stable markets, but even so I don't think I've seen supplies drop in price to such an extent as you claim.  To be perfectly honest, is this really that serious a problem?

Finally, this "but (s)he doesn't seem to care much as they'd rather attract more players to their home system" is not what I said, and I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion; again, while it would be nice if there were significant reason to go to Anar, it's high stability and moderate isolation should, I suspect, make it an unattractive target to visit unless you're going there for a specific reason.  More generally speaking, I'm not certain how it's current combination of characteristics make it a singularly valuable port of call to players, or at least players who are not gaming storage space.

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 21, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »

Sorry, I guess the way I wrote it was a bit misleading. I was merely trying to suggest some more ways of increasing ship upkeep since that's what you seemed to be intent on doing, Dark.Revnant. You're right that increasing supply consumption would probably nerf battles too heavily, since being without them is a complete death sentence between combat failures and ship breakdowns. Not to mention having to give up more cargo space to supplies would nerf a major source of income from combat -- the plunder!

MShadowy, I apologize. It was rude of me to ask someone else to go over your head and nerf your mod if you felt it didn't need to be. I guess that's what happens when you start drinking early on a day off and hit the forums. ;D Your high tech ships are always one of my favourites for shield-lovers like myself, so please don't let jerkish behaviour like mine affect the continuation of your awesome mod.

Truth is I've been starting a bunch of new SS+ games recently and it's just been weirding me out that prices for supplies always start extremely high at ~200 for supplies and then plummet to ~50. I initially thought it was caused by Shadowyards since they seem to be the largest producer of supplies in the combined SS+ mod package. But it seems as Nori pointed out that may have been an overhasty and incorrect assumption on my part. I think the issue is actually more with the way vanilla SS is setting up the game, and how it only runs a few weeks before dropping the player in, not giving the prices to reach an equilibrium at their "real" values.

---

Unrelated, minor bug: Shadowyards' Strike Carrier does not qualify as a carrier for the purposes of installing a Extended Flight Deck (the hullmod that speeds up fighter refitting by 50%). It's worth noting, however, the Strike Carrier is the strongest 2-deck carrier in the game by far -- basically being a light battleship in its own right by virtue of weapons, ordnance, and flux cap -- so you may wish to keep this bug for the sake of balancing. But just thought I'd inform you since it's ultimate your call, Dark.Revnant.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #514 on: November 21, 2014, 03:49:23 PM »

It's not a bug; the hullmod only applies to ships with the CARRIER flag, which means their AI likes to hang back.  This is a balancing decision to stop fleets from becoming unstoppable with combo-ships like the Charybdis.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #515 on: November 22, 2014, 12:47:13 AM »

Rewards for newly spawned named bounty fleets seem to be getting reset to ~10000 upon reloading the save.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #516 on: November 22, 2014, 04:06:12 AM »

Whoops.  Yeah, I'll get that fixed for 2.1 tomorrow.

Heads up, in the next version, enemy fleets will be a lot more active in trying to kill you!

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 22, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »

Heads up, in the next version, enemy fleets will be a lot more active in trying to kill you!

So this is completely outlandish strange question that is probably better asked elsewhere but, do you think it would ever be possible for the player to have a bounty placed on their head? Maybe making independent bounty hunters and such actively hunt them? I realize it might get complicated with independents but I always thought it would be interesting.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #518 on: November 22, 2014, 01:56:14 PM »

So this is completely outlandish strange question that is probably better asked elsewhere but, do you think it would ever be possible for the player to have a bounty placed on their head? Maybe making independent bounty hunters and such actively hunt them? I realize it might get complicated with independents but I always thought it would be interesting.

That's actually what I did.  You don't see the bounty messages (you'd get spammed with them, at any rate), but merc fleets do come after you if you've made enemies.

frogbones

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 22, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »

SWEET  8)

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 22, 2014, 07:13:23 PM »

That's actually what I did.  You don't see the bounty messages (you'd get spammed with them, at any rate), but merc fleets do come after you if you've made enemies.

Awesome. Can you tell us how it will impact standings with independents? Like if I *** off the Ludic church and they set a bounty on me will independent bounty hunters come for me? or will just "Ludic Church" bounty hunters come for me? If independents do come for me, how will it effect my standing when I wipe their fleets? Will it?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
[0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.1
« Reply #521 on: November 22, 2014, 08:23:21 PM »

Awesome. Can you tell us how it will impact standings with independents? Like if I *** off the Ludic church and they set a bounty on me will independent bounty hunters come for me? or will just "Ludic Church" bounty hunters come for me? If independents do come for me, how will it effect my standing when I wipe their fleets? Will it?

They look like normal bounty hunters but have white color instead of gray and don't impact reputation when you kill them.

Factions that don't like you (hostile and especially vengeful) will hire bounty hunters against you, and occasionally send their own fleets to intercept and destroy you.  Certain factions, like the pirates, will not hire bounty hunters (they will only send interception fleets).  These don't appear in news messages, so be careful.  You are safer in systems dominated by strong markets that are favorable (or better) towards you, granting you a protection factor that decreases the frequency/amount of fleets sent after you.  Killing your pursuers grants you some reputation and will decrease the amount of fleets that are sent to kill you.  The fleets will be roughly equivalent in power to your own, so the fights are not trivial.

In other news, boarding mechanics have been updated, making Valkyries and Construction Rigs actually useful.  You can bring your chances of success on an assault teams action from a piddly 9% to 60% with enough valkyries and constructions rigs sent in with the boarding task force.  Construction Rigs have also been buffed overall.  Enjoy!

Version 2.1
  • Enemies of the player will hire bounty hunters or send hunter fleets to intercept and kill the player
  • Repair Gantry hullmod now increases post-battle repair chance and improves successful boarding chances
  • Valkyries now have the Assault Shuttles hullmod, which increases the chance of success when launching assault teams
  • Bounty progression sped up (was erroneously low)
  • Bounty credit rewards are rounded to the hundreds of credits
  • Fixed bounty level persistence bug
  • Fixed bounties only counting if you kill *every ship* (vanilla bug as well)
  • Crew salary reports are generated monthly

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: [0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.1
« Reply #522 on: November 23, 2014, 02:35:39 AM »

Note: I uploaded a stealth update; if you downloaded in the past 6 hours, you should redownload.  It fixes a potential issue with named bounties involving factions friendly with pirates.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #523 on: November 23, 2014, 07:20:11 AM »

The mechanic with factions sending their own fleets after you seems to have an AI issue. I'm getting solo (vengeful) pirates freighters and tankers coming after me, then running away when their evasion behavior kicks in. Rinse and repeat.
(also I don't think it should say "intercepting Your Fleet" with capital letters)

EDIT: Also I had a named bounty fleet fly all the way from Mors to Jangala just to get me. "Feature" - saves me the trouble of going after them  :D

Great work regardless!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:25:33 AM by Histidine »

frogbones

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 23, 2014, 12:27:53 PM »

Fine job Dark, fine job.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 197