Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325244 times)

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.0.6
« Reply #495 on: November 18, 2014, 09:44:57 AM »

Cromodus, do you have save compression turned on? I think it has corrupted many people's save files. Sorry :(
I haven't really tweaked anything besides the RAM allocation. How do I change this
+1. I keep reading about switching save game compression on/off, but nobody mentions just how to do it, as if it's kind of common knowledge :)

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 18, 2014, 10:12:07 AM »

..\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json

Code
"compressSaveGameData":true, # smaller files, faster saving/loading
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:18:12 AM by OOZ662 »
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 18, 2014, 10:15:47 AM »

OOZ662, thanks a lot! :)

Cromodus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 18, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »

Is there a reason why I can't get the launcher to start if I change anything in vparams?

I tried
1024 / 2048
2048 / 2048
2048 / 4096
4096 / 4096

At a guess:

2) The Java heap space requires a contiguous block of memory, so if Starsector won't start after raising the value, try things like closing browser windows to free up RAM.

No dice, even with 2048 the game won't start. I have 8GB of ram, most of it free. Is something else missing?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #499 on: November 18, 2014, 05:35:32 PM »

I have answers!

The load-game memory usage is high for the following reasons:
1. Mods add more fleets.  You can easily double the number of fleets by using SS+ and all its integrated mods.
2. Templars cause more fleets to die; more fleets will despawn, get killed off, etc.  Normally, this isn't an issue, but it leads to...
3. Dead/despawned fleets remain in the save file for a long time.  If more fleets get killed, the save file will get bigger because the dead fleets will stay in there for a period of time.
4. SS+'s random variants are saved.  If you have 700 fleets (not that uncommon with a bunch of mods), that's thousands of variants being stored in the save file.
5. All stellar objects are saved.  Including asteroids, which there can be thousands of.
6. The current save/load code is unoptimized.

Alex has implemented many optimizations for the next version of Starsector; the memory use (and iirc even space use) for saves should be roughly halved.  In addition, 5-10% of the save will be shaved off due to despawned fleets being scrubbed more efficiently; this number is closer to 15%-25% in SS+ with lots of mods.  Overall, this will drop your save/load memory requirements to about 40% of what they currently are; if you had to use 6 GB to load previously, you'll be fine with only 3 GB after the next update.

Gilgamesh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 18, 2014, 05:46:44 PM »

I have answers!

The load-game memory usage is high for the following reasons:
1. Mods add more fleets.  You can easily double the number of fleets by using SS+ and all its integrated mods.
2. Templars cause more fleets to die; more fleets will despawn, get killed off, etc.  Normally, this isn't an issue, but it leads to...
3. Dead/despawned fleets remain in the save file for a long time.  If more fleets get killed, the save file will get bigger because the dead fleets will stay in there for a period of time.
4. SS+'s random variants are saved.  If you have 700 fleets (not that uncommon with a bunch of mods), that's thousands of variants being stored in the save file.
5. All stellar objects are saved.  Including asteroids, which there can be thousands of.
6. The current save/load code is unoptimized.

Alex has implemented many optimizations for the next version of Starsector; the memory use (and iirc even space use) for saves should be roughly halved.  In addition, 5-10% of the save will be shaved off due to despawned fleets being scrubbed more efficiently; this number is closer to 15%-25% in SS+ with lots of mods.  Overall, this will drop your save/load memory requirements to about 40% of what they currently are; if you had to use 6 GB to load previously, you'll be fine with only 3 GB after the next update.

Hehe, or at least until modders take advantage of the freed up memory usage. You and others have already stretched what the engine is capable of.

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 18, 2014, 06:50:45 PM »

Is there a reason why I can't get the launcher to start if I change anything in vparams?

I tried
1024 / 2048
2048 / 2048
2048 / 4096
4096 / 4096

At a guess:

2) The Java heap space requires a contiguous block of memory, so if Starsector won't start after raising the value, try things like closing browser windows to free up RAM.

No dice, even with 2048 the game won't start. I have 8GB of ram, most of it free. Is something else missing?
Have you tried replacing the jre folder inside starsector's directory with a 64-bit java (renamed to 'jre')?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
[0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.0.7
« Reply #502 on: November 19, 2014, 03:01:35 AM »

Hope you like paying your employees, because crew now demand money from you!  You better pay up or they will mutiny.  Only applies to new saves.

More importantly, I added assassination missions, which are bounties posted by factions you are Friendly or Cooperative with, asking you to kill an officer for another faction (inhospitable, hostile, or vengeful with the client faction).  You will start to get these after about your 12th named bounty.  The payout, of course, is quite good.

TRADEWINDS BREAKS STARSECTOR+!  DO NOT USE TRADEWINDS WITH THIS MOD!

Version 2.0.7
  • Assassinations (faction bounties) added
  • Crew now require salary payments; if you run out of money, they start to mutiny
  • Numerous minor code tweaks here and there, to make a better experience
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:42:53 AM by Dark.Revenant »

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.0.7
« Reply #503 on: November 19, 2014, 05:01:52 AM »

Loading the save created upon starting a new game in this version with Interstellar Imperium throws this:
Spoiler
Code
504993 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Error loading
505005 [Thread-13] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading progress: 0.9977521
505005 [Thread-13] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Releasing context
505005 [Thread-13] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Released context
505033 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - com.fs.starfarer.util.H cannot be cast to java.util.zip.ZipInputStream
java.lang.ClassCastException: com.fs.starfarer.util.H cannot be cast to java.util.zip.ZipInputStream
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.C.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.B.void.class$super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.A.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
505051 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 11
[close]
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #504 on: November 19, 2014, 05:40:04 AM »

It sounds like something went wrong with save game compression being disabled.  Make up your *** mind, Starsector.

Go ahead and redownload; I uploaded a version with that "feature" disabled. ffs...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:42:37 AM by Dark.Revenant »

frogbones

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 19, 2014, 06:42:58 AM »

TRADEWINDS BREAKS STARSECTOR+!  DO NOT USE TRADEWINDS WITH THIS MOD!

boo hisss..... :'(

ah well no biggy. SS+ is much more fun than loot clouds.

though if the two can get compatible, sweetness!

Will check out update ASAP!

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 19, 2014, 07:22:40 AM »

Nice, will check the update later!

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 19, 2014, 10:14:58 AM »

Minor request: Can we get some info in the crew item's tooltip about how much pay each rank requires per person? If you're feeling particularly ambitious, maybe even add a weekly event that informs you how much you're paying in salary.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #508 on: November 19, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »

Minor request: Can we get some info in the crew item's tooltip about how much pay each rank requires per person? If you're feeling particularly ambitious, maybe even add a weekly event that informs you how much you're paying in salary.

Isn't the salary already on the tooltip?

Also, a weekly message would get really old really quickly.

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 19, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »

Isn't the salary already on the tooltip?

Also, a weekly message would get really old really quickly.

Oh, missed that bit in the tooltip. Derp. Yeah, maybe no weekly message. If you have no relay sniffers you only get 2-3 messages a week, and a weekly report might bother you. But if you have many relays tapped, you get a douzen a week, so 1 more isn't a big deal. But better play it safe. Anyways...

Crew now require salary payments; if you run out of money, they start to mutiny

Related economy issue: I've noticed at the game's start the price of supply is consistently 200+ credits in all systems, but the overproduction in Anar can depresses it as low as ~60 credits (I think in vanilla games it never drops below ~90, even with favourable coniditions and high stability on producing planets). I've brought it up with the mod (Shadowyards) creator, but (s)he doesn't seem to care much as they'd rather attract more players to their home system.

However, I'm guessing you want to increase ship upkeep costs overall, given your doubling of fuel consumption and addition of crew pay. If this is the case and you're actually trying to increase upkeep, the Anar supply overproduction may be ruining your attempts by making supplies much cheaper than normal.

Maybe throw together a mini-patch that overwrites the production values of Anar, or alternatively, maybe increase supply consumption of one of your mods' worlds (Thrace's interstellar bazaar perhaps?). Although the latter method will be much harder to balance if you want to avoid chronic supply shortages that players can exploit for profit.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:18:35 PM by Regularity »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 197