Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325034 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: [0.65.2a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.10.0
« Reply #1650 on: November 07, 2015, 03:54:20 AM »

Oh, well that changes a lot then.  I assumed "Integrated Factions" meant they were part of the mod.
Heh, that's what I thought too when I first looked at SS+ and Nexerelin - I had to ask on Reddit.  Dark.Revenant, would it be reasonable enough to add "need to be downloaded separately" at the top of the Integrated Factions section of the OP?

It's at the bottom, but nobody ever reads the whole set of instructions to anything after all.
"Integrated" is probably the wrong term to use anyway, should be changed.
Though I'm not sure what works. "Curated" doesn't really convey the idea of the added features, "supported" implies other faction mods break with it... "Fully supported"? ...Kinda clunky though.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: November 07, 2015, 04:49:13 AM »

Have they ever considered moving this (Starsector as a whole) to steam, so that the steam workshop can take care of all the mod dependencies? Would surely be rad.
No thank you. Steam Workshop makes it very difficult to gain some visibility for newcomers, is extremely limited in term of what you can do to make a nice presentation, and has a very unappealing EULA.

You grant Valve and its affiliates the worldwide, non-exclusive, right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, transcode, translate, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and publicly perform, your User Generated Content, and derivative works of your User Generated Content, in connection with the operation and promotion of the Steam site. This license is granted to Valve for the entire duration of the intellectual property rights and may be terminated if Valve is in breach of the license and has not cured such breach within fourteen (14) days from receiving notice from you sent to the attention of the Valve Legal Department at the applicable Valve address noted on this Privacy Policy page. The termination of said license does not affect the rights of any sub-licensees pursuant to any sub-license granted by Valve prior to termination of the license. Valve is the sole owner of the derivative works created by Valve from your Content, and is therefore entitled to grant licenses on these derivative works. If you use Valve cloud storage, you grant us a license to store your information as part of that service. We may place limits on the amount of storage you may use.

Basically you give up all rights on what you upload there. If they want they can charge for it, modify it, create other stuff from it etc etc without your consent. And of course, once it's uploaded you have no right to remove it. For example, should you make a TC on a steam game, then want to make it a stand alone game, they could claim ownership on it.

So yeah... Not really "rad" from my point of view.

"Integrated" is probably the wrong term to use anyway, should be changed.
Though I'm not sure what works. "Curated" doesn't really convey the idea of the added features, "supported" implies other faction mods break with it... "Fully supported"? ...Kinda clunky though.
"Symbiotic factions"? "Cooperative factions"? "Stand-alone Integrated faction"? "Extensions"? "DLC factions"? "Non-Packaged Integrated factions"?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:53:22 AM by Tartiflette »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: November 07, 2015, 04:52:33 AM »

if anything mods could be downloaded from this forum, and the game itself on steam.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: November 07, 2015, 06:05:05 AM »

I think it would be pretty "rad" if mods could be downloaded via the Starsector homepage, under their own tab.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tschudy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 07, 2015, 06:47:02 AM »

"Symbiotic factions"? "Cooperative factions"? "Stand-alone Integrated faction"? "Extensions"? "DLC factions"? "Non-Packaged Integrated factions"?

How about "compatible factions"?  Factions that are compatible with the mod, but not included.

Though I'm curious why SS+ includes BRDY hullmods into the tech tree when BRDY isn't included.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #1655 on: November 07, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »

That's because I add the BRDY hullmods to character skills, which means I have to include those hullmods in SS+.

Tschudy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 07, 2015, 12:24:10 PM »

That's because I add the BRDY hullmods to character skills, which means I have to include those hullmods in SS+.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to remove the blackrock-only requirement from them then?  Otherwise its just a couple of dead buttons in the hullmod selection unless you download the BRDY mod.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #1657 on: November 07, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »

Those hullmods are specifically designed/balanced for BRDY hulls.  Unless the BRDY mod makes them available for everything for some reason, I won't be changing it.

Tschudy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: November 07, 2015, 12:35:35 PM »

Not trying to be offensive here but if they aren't usable without installing another mod, why bother including them at all?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #1659 on: November 07, 2015, 01:18:40 PM »

Because, generally speaking, two mods can't edit the player skills.  So, given that those hullmods should be unlockable, a mod like SS+ has to implement the unlocking.  Unfortunately, this means that they have to be included in SS+, lest the game crash with BRDY disable.

Tschudy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: November 07, 2015, 02:31:05 PM »

Ok, so SS+ has to act as a "core" mod that the others plug into.  that makes more sense.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: November 20, 2015, 07:52:27 AM »

Seems to me one thing 0.7a is missing is dedicated sensor systems; either hullmods or ships. The beginnings of electronic warfare...
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: November 20, 2015, 09:45:43 AM »

Yeah, the new sensor system is so good that I really want to see it more expanded. How about some ships that are focused on making your fleet more stealthy or having a huge coverage area? I don't know what drawbacks they should have though, but the possibilities are there.

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: November 20, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »

I'd like some tweaking of the new investigations. Having factions look into you being at +80 with their sworn enemy is fine but right now the investigations are so frequent that it's functionally impossible to not be forced to pick a side in the war for the sector.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: November 20, 2015, 10:44:26 AM »

Uh...do you mean in like a cheat-y way? Because the normal way is to just talk to them in the comm menu of a market location, then click the empty "photo" thing on a ship in the fleet or refit screen.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 197