Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bomber split upon returning  (Read 1388 times)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Bomber split upon returning
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:21:08 PM »

What I mean exactly is that I think bombers should go to differant carriers. Let me clarrify some more. Say I have a Heron and an Astral. Upon the start of the battle i split the carriers up into two differant sides of the map. I grouped all the bombers in the middle and then sent them after highpriority targets for a torpedoe attack from hell. Normally this would be fine but when the wings returned they all went to to my Heron (which is closer) and once 2 reached the bays, the rest turned around and went all the way across the map to the Astral. I feel like they bombers should at least split even between carriers (if not going to an open carrier not just the closest) upon returning. Then again this is a bit of rare case and probably won't happen unless you feel like dividing your forces.  ;D
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Bomber split upon returning
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:46:50 PM »

More specifically: a fighter wing should reserve a flight deck on the carrier it's returning to, so if the closest carrier is fully booked other fighter wings know to go to one that's further away.

For extra accuracy: when deciding which carrier to return to and the nearest one is full, calculate if it can free up a flight deck (+ safety margin) before we reach the second closest carrier .

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Bomber split upon returning
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:25:18 PM »

I think this would be good in general for fighters because they are much much more effective when gathered in a wing. If multiple fighters or bombers from a wing are in need of repairs, they should preferentially seek out different carriers to try and synchronize their launching.