Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The Cult of Lud and other data-diving discoveries  (Read 6423 times)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
The Cult of Lud and other data-diving discoveries
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:57:38 PM »

Discovered a few new things today while trawling through the files for the 0.62 release. Going to post them here for those who haven't found these little gems yet (along with some older stuff that's been in there for ages).

New faction - Church of Galactic Redemption
Inspired by the martyrdom of a figure known as 'Ludd' during the fall of the Domain, the Church of Galactic Redemption is a hierarchical church with highly syncretic dogma formed from a core of Abrahamic texts and apocrypha along with Domain-era reaction against perceived corruption, depravity, hedonism, and transhuman abomination. The Church offers a vision of life lived more simply, of agrarian virtue and humanistic values and prayer against the violence and technological alienation that's torn the Sector apart in the years sinc the Fall.

New faction - Knights of Ludd
The military branch of Luddic Church of Galactic Redemption, modeled on monastic warrior societies from previous millenia. In areas of Church domination they are authorized to enforce Technological Correctness as well as ensuring, through force, that virtue is promoted and vice chastised. In areas outside Church domination, when able, they covertly impose the same.

New faction - Luddic Path
The Luddic Path is a loosely associated category of radical, de-centralized, apocalyptic sects of Luddism that claim a truer interpretation of Ludd's Message. They view the Church as compromised and corrupt, putting worldly ego and pleasures before the Luddic Path in these end-times. The war of Armageddon is NOW and the lines are drawn -- it is only through forceful righteous action that the Good can be inspired to destroy Evil, that the abominations of humanity's hubris against God can be swept aside in a final act of redemption. Or so they claim; It should suffice to say that the Luddic Path finds itself at odds with nearly all other factions in the Sector.

All 3 of the above factions use this set of encounter dialogs:
   "dialogue":{
      "greetingFriendly":"Greetings fellow-walkers of the Path. Blessings of Ludd be upon you.",
      "greetingNeutral":"Contact; Do not interfere in our righteous mission.",
      "greetingHostileAggressive":"Submit, repent, and your sinful technologies will be smashed; Resist, and only God's holy vaccuum will show you mercy.",
      "greetingHostileTimid":"We follow the Path of Ludd amidst persecution. Yea, the righteous will suffer the lash and our reward will be everlasting grace.",
   }

New description - Sindrian Diktat
Considered by the Sector at large to be a military dictatorship, the Sindrian Diktat is a polity founded by force by Admiral P. Andrada formerly of the Hegemony Navy.

also a bit of amusing dialogue that doesn't seem to be in-game yet...
   "lines":{
      "greeting_aggressive":"Well, well. If we can do this the easy way, I promise we won't put holes in your lifeboats for sport. Unless some of the boys get trigger-happy, but with the space-fever, who can blame them?",  ;)
      "threaten_success":"Yes, perhaps we'd better reconsider.",
      "threaten_failure":"I'm trembling in my magnetic boots.",
      }

Some illustrations that haven't been used (as far as I can tell so far):
Spoiler

desert moon ruins

harry

hull breach

quartermaster

vacuum colony
[close]

Cheers!

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: The Cult of Lud and other data-diving discoveries
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »

Freaking moon lemurs, this just made my finals week 150% better!

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 10:08:46 PM »

well someone's been tech mining, nice find :)

damn that falcon looks sexy in the harry pic
mmm.... tartiflette

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »

Yay, Cult of Lud is coming together :)  Really wish David would make a couple of official-ish ship sketches for them so that we have some sort of reasonable style guide; I've been wanting to mess with them for ages but I feel like making ships before I know what the color scheme is like would be pretty fruitless :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 05:21:18 AM »

Discovered a few new things today while trawling through the files for the 0.62 release. Going to post them here for those who haven't found these little gems yet (along with some older stuff that's been in there for ages).
Some illustrations that haven't been used (as far as I can tell so far):
Spoiler
[close]
desert moon ruins

David's "space moai" are mysterious and beautiful.
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 07:01:28 AM »

This is so damn cool. Also, I can tell that the vessel to the immediate front is an Eagl/Falcon, but what are the fleeing ships? Looks like... a medusa to the side?

Yay, Cult of Lud is coming together :)  Really wish David would make a couple of official-ish ship sketches for them so that we have some sort of reasonable style guide; I've been wanting to mess with them for ages but I feel like making ships before I know what the color scheme is like would be pretty fruitless :)

I thought they were just gonna be using low-tech ships? But if they'll get a separate paintjob, that would be a very cool detail.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:03:41 AM by Cycerin »

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 07:10:22 AM »

In the missions they just use lowtech ships.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 08:05:41 AM »

Yeah, I know, but I always presumed that was just placeholder stuff :)

If they're going to stay that way, I'd feel free to re-imagine them; personally, I kind of expected them to have a unique look.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:29:02 AM »

Like, renovated hegemony ships with green paint? Fun.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 10:31:51 AM »

hmm....

I just noticed the falcon has energy weapons up front and ballistic in the back...

this bothers me...

(now to decide on photoshopping the picture or modding game to match)
mmm.... tartiflette

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 11:26:29 AM »

Energy weapons up front?  Bah, those are clearly railguns.
...The medium turrets, though, I got nothing; there's no energy weapon that matches that look.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 11:36:52 AM »

I would have thought that they were actually either Assault chain guns or Heavy autocannons, judging by the image.
Also, this is probably made before much was actually implemented. maybe this is an early concept falcon, with ballistic turrets on the port and starboard, while having energy hard points on the bow?
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 12:00:35 PM »

It's actually an Eagle, and I'd guess that David just referenced the sprite outside the game where you can't see the type of mount, so he mixed it up, like the mirrored Hound in the hangar picture. Still a very cool scene.
To me that thing in front looks like an Onslaught, kind of.

...can't wait for the lore to be inside the game :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 12:22:49 PM »

Hmm, right... it is an eagle... just realized that

no middle weapons though... now im even more bothered
mmm.... tartiflette