Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: [0.65.2a] ICE Faction  (Read 135055 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: ICE Faction
« Reply #240 on: October 03, 2015, 09:33:21 PM »

Hi all. Thanks for all the encouragement  :)
It hurts in a strange, bitter-sweet way to know there are people out there who are interested in a project that I haven't maintained. Even though I've never asked for anything in return for making this mod, I still feel guilty for not following through with everything it could have been. Unfortunately, I've decided to stop working on ICE for good even though it will make that guilt worse. I hope my choice to abandon this project won't cause too much disappointment.

I don't know if anyone will be interested, but I'll see what I can do about handing this project off to another modder.

@Histidine: You're hereby invited to this thread.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:36:33 PM by Sundog »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 03, 2015, 10:08:44 PM »

@Histidine: Yeah, your interpretation of the permissions is correct, and the source should be available. If you (or anyone else for that matter) are really interested in fixing the bug, here's some information I gave to DR about it back when he was looking into doing something similar:
Spoiler
The main thing to avoid is the crash, so I'll describe why that happened in detail. The primary cause was that the CampaignEventManager was trying to create a recent unrest event after the colony fleet had been destroyed (after which I transferred its market to a different entity). In order to throw the NPE, this sequence of events would have to occur, in this order:
 -Colony fleet experiences a food shortage
 -Colony fleet is destroyed and the market is moved to a different entity in an inaccessible star system
 -Food shortage ends and procs a recent unrest event

java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.RecentUnrestEvent.startEvent(RecentUnrestEvent.java:20)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.events.CampaignEventManager.startEvent(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.BaseEventPlugin.increaseRecentUnrest(BaseEventPlugin.java:265)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.FoodShortageEvent.endEvent(FoodShortageEvent.java:615)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.FoodShortageEvent.advance(FoodShortageEvent.java:374)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.events.CampaignEventManager.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)

When recent unrest starts it runs BaseEventPlugin.init() (or so I assume)
Code: java
	public void init(String eventType, CampaignEventTarget eventTarget) {
this.eventType = eventType;
this.eventTarget = eventTarget;

if (eventTarget.getEntity() != null) {
market = eventTarget.getEntity().getMarket();
faction = eventTarget.getFaction();
entity = eventTarget.getEntity();
}

if (market == null) {
statModId = eventType + "_" + UUID.randomUUID().toString();
} else {
statModId = eventType + "_" + market.getId() + "_" + UUID.randomUUID().toString();
}

Global.getSector().addListener(this);
}
Because the market has already been removed from the entity, the 'market' variable is assigned null on line 06. So, when RecentUnrestEvent.startEvent() runs, it throws the NPE when trying to access 'market.'
Code: java
	public void startEvent() {
super.startEvent();
conditionToken = market.addCondition(Conditions.RECENT_UNREST, true, this);
}
As you can see, there are plenty of potential ways to fix this specific issue, so you shouldn't have trouble avoiding it. I can only guess at the causes of most of the less serious issues, but they all seemed to stem from the market being temporary and/or nomadic. The problem with unconventional markets (and the reason I've been avoiding fixing ICE) is that it's easy to cause unintended side effects that are often difficult to find.
[close]

My memory on the subject was much fresher than it is now, so I can't really provide any clues better than that. Some things about the campaign layer have been updated since I messed with this stuff though, so things may have changed. In fact, Alex fixed up the RecentUnrestEvent to handle cases like this, so the symptoms of this particular bug might be different or even non-existant. The real problem with dealing with this bug and ones like it is how long it can take to duplicate them.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 04, 2015, 04:33:03 AM »

Unfortunately, I've decided to stop working on ICE for good

Joke apart, i'm sad you won't be working on this anymore, ICE was one of my favourite mod to play with. But i guess sometimes real life doesn't leave you much time for modding.

Anyway, i'm sure someone will eventually take care of the mod, or at least keep it functional and updated for us to play with.

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 04, 2015, 11:22:25 AM »

Hi all. Thanks for all the encouragement  :)
It hurts in a strange, bitter-sweet way to know there are people out there who are interested in a project that I haven't maintained. Even though I've never asked for anything in return for making this mod, I still feel guilty for not following through with everything it could have been. Unfortunately, I've decided to stop working on ICE for good even though it will make that guilt worse. I hope my choice to abandon this project won't cause too much disappointment.
Its all good, don't feel guilty about it. What you put in is very unique, im sure it will be carried over nicely if someone decided to work on it.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 04, 2015, 09:08:02 PM »

But i guess sometimes real life doesn't leave you much time for modding.
Too true. Nice reaction gif  :)

Its all good, don't feel guilty about it. What you put in is very unique, im sure it will be carried over nicely if someone decided to work on it.
Thanks. I hope so  :)

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 06, 2015, 11:17:20 AM »

So to my understanding, the problem lies with the faction campaign integration right? If that is the case, wouldn't it be relatively simple to take the ICE ships and bootstrap them onto another faction? Even if it was only for personal use, that would still be neat.

I have extremely little experience modding, but depending on if its actually intensive or not, I'd be willing to try it if someone could give me a bit of direction on how ships are integrated into the campaign.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 06, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »

So to my understanding, the problem lies with the faction campaign integration right? If that is the case, wouldn't it be relatively simple to take the ICE ships and bootstrap them onto another faction?
That's correct, but it would be just as simple to strip the problematic features out of the current version of ICE. That's how I was planning to deal with the campaign issues in the short-term. I started a thread here for people who are interested in working on ICE.

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 06, 2015, 01:30:39 PM »

That's correct, but it would be just as simple to strip the problematic features out of the current version of ICE. That's how I was planning to deal with the campaign issues in the short-term. I started a thread here for people who are interested in working on ICE.
I see. I'm probably better off leaving it to people who know what they're doing. I have no idea how to work the campaign integration either, and the topic in general seems to be fairly active so it probably won't be a super long time anyway. Thanks for keeping up with everything.

Flying_Whale

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 09, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »

I hope someone will save us ::)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.2a] ICE Faction
« Reply #249 on: October 14, 2015, 03:35:20 PM »

Download ICE version 0.3.3  (Requires LazyLib)
See the original post for details

Overview:
 - Thanks to Histidine, several issues have been resolved and Nexerelin is supported.

Change Details
Spoiler
CONTENT CHANGES
- Remove ammo from ballistic weapons
- Remove reference to ammo in Flamebolt description
- Support for Nexerelin's Corvus mode
- rules.csv with flavour text. Includes comm dialogue, trade panel texts, and exile relationship texts
- Add ExileMarket console command (for debugging)
- Nexerelin is now supported

BALANCE CHANGES
- Fighter wings cost more to buy from store; less to deploy
- Citadel market size 3 -> 4 (less distortion of overall economy)
- Random mission: use quality factors by faction; maps scale better with battle size; code tweaks
- Colony fleet market meets about half its own demand from built-in supply

BUGS FIXED
- Fix various issues with Exile colony fleet, Ulterius
- Fix Umbra having decorative weapons in non-decorative mounts
- Typos fixed
- Apocrypha teleporter weapon mount is decorative as it should be
- Decorative weapons use blank image for ShaderLib maps (fixes super brightness)
- Random mission doesn't use certain special factions. Said factions being: player_npc (Nexerelin), merc_hostile
and famous_bounty (SS+)
[close]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:35:28 AM by Sundog »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: [0.65.2a] ICE Faction
« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2015, 05:20:29 PM »

N.B. the 5 -> 4 market size thing was a partial revert of an earlier commit; the net change from 0.3.2 is 3 -> 4

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 15, 2015, 03:48:27 AM »

Thank you Histidine! Aaaaah finally, ICE is back to its rightful place in my mod folder.

Flying_Whale

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 15, 2015, 09:19:22 AM »

God bless Histidine!  :D

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 15, 2015, 03:06:40 PM »

N.B. the 5 -> 4 market size thing was a partial revert of an earlier commit; the net change from 0.3.2 is 3 -> 4
Gotcha. Fixed. Nice catch.

SpaceRiceBowl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 17, 2015, 03:17:08 PM »

Is Nexerelin support planned?
I really don't know what I'm doing...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19