Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Never noticed this in the ship designs  (Read 2292 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Never noticed this in the ship designs
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:26:11 AM »

Looks scary :o

[attachment deleted by admin]

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
Re: Never noticed this in the ship designs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:13:42 AM »

I believe that is an early stealth ship design. It turned into the phase ships we have now.

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:28:54 AM »

I believe that is an early stealth ship design. It turned into the phase ships we have now.
It does look pretty stealthy, but I'm not sure it was a phase ship design. The same post had some phase ships, including early versions of both of the current phase frigates and a sketch of a cruiser-sized ship with a bunch of hardpoints (maybe a really early take on the Doom). They don't look exactly like the current phase ships, but they're recognizably similar, phase coils and everything. The sneaky-looking blue cruiser here doesn't look like a phase ship at all.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »

Yup, that's a really early sketch of a large phase ship before we went with the glowing phase coil effect. Probably part inspired by the Darco from Sim City 2000 part by the description of spiraling fractal ship armour from Iain M. Bank's "Excession" and partly just trying to make something menacing and asymmetrical.

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »

Regardless of being left behind in favour of the current phase-ship spriting style, the dark blue mystery ship is still very cool looking. To me, it's reminiscent of Duchamp's "Nude descending a staircase", but [echo] in spaaaaace [/echo].
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

Coolrah

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 12:27:04 PM »

Maybe it could be introduce into the game as some form of low tech phase technology. Maybe pirates stole some from the Tri Techs and combined it with some cobbled together parts and out came that ship. Seeing as how theirs people (Me included) who like the way the ship looks and wouldn't mind it being introduced into the game in some way at least.
Its always a good day to die