Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is what?  (Read 6593 times)

NanoMatter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What is what?
« on: January 10, 2014, 01:30:17 PM »

What is flux?

What are shields?/What are they made out of?

What is the propulsion?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: What is what?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:04:44 PM »

Should ask that in the Lore thread :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »

I know for sure Shields are from the wizards on your ship casting Barrier V, thus, bigger the ship, more wizards on board.

Then logically flux would be the supplies of lolcat pictures and smoke-able plants.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 03:19:48 AM »

Honestly dude? It's just guffin McGuffin stuff from sci fi that serves the purpose of a game mechanic. If you want lore, yes, ask a lore thread.

If you want something relatable to modern science?

Flux: Most likely the ship transferring heat internally to "flux capacitors" from the ship firing weapons, using special systems, using shields etc. Heat is one of the lesser known but crucial aspects of building any spacecraft, it may be near absolute zero outside in the vacuum of space but there is almost nothing to take it away.

You may have recently heard about the international space station had a problem with one of the heat pumps - they had to turn off almost all non-essential electrical systems and suspend experiments, else the inside of the ISS overheat causing malfunctions and killing the crew. You know those big white "Solar Panel" looking things on the ISS? They're not for taking in light to make electricity, but to are pointed away from the sun so as to radiate heat away from the craft.

So anyway, when you vent flux the McGuffin "Flux Capacitors" are probably venting the ship's built up heat through heated ionised gas or radiated in a spectrum that is visible to the human eye.

Shields: There are many theoretical shields that are discussed since their advent in shows like Star Trek, some speculate you can use high intensity magnetic fields to deflect ionised particles, however there is no known science surrounding the projection of a field that can deflect non-magnetic materials or laser beams*. *You can deflect lasers of course with a simple mirror, but a mirror surface would eventually overheat and melt.

That said there are theories about using exotic matter to create negative energy fields to manipulate space/time to move a ship through space. If you can do something that complex you can probably manipulate space in such a way to simply divert the incoming light/penetrator/missile somewhere else. Said manipulation of space time would also allow you to destroy physical objects by stretching or compacting space/time so much that the object's chemical or strong force bonds are overcome.

In theory.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 03:11:09 PM »

There was also a MASSIVE thread that was trying to figure out what exactly IS flux and they never really DID come up with the answer...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

NanoMatter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 04:19:22 PM »

I always thought flux was plasma...

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 02:51:07 AM »

well plasma is just a superheated state of matter, honestly if it were me it would just be water with some anti-freeze fluids, as water can hold more heat than any other substance known to man. If I was going to hold heat in anything it would probably be that. So maybe you're kind of blowing off steam? That said water has a relatively low boiling point at normal atmospheric pressure so keeping it inside a pressure containment vessel would be tricky.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 06:11:40 AM »

well plasma is just a superheated state of matter, honestly if it were me it would just be water with some anti-freeze fluids, as water can hold more heat than any other substance known to man. If I was going to hold heat in anything it would probably be that. So maybe you're kind of blowing off steam? That said water has a relatively low boiling point at normal atmospheric pressure so keeping it inside a pressure containment vessel would be tricky.
There are several problems with using water though.
It is HEAVY! (Almost 60 pounds per cubic foot of water)
You can't compress it very much (The water at the bottom of the deepest part of the ocean is only about 5% compressed)
Venting with water would create a flying hazard from the ice crystals

Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 06:18:02 AM »

'Flux' means flow/instability. So it seems likely that it refers to a type of energy current that stems from a ship's reactor, lots of lore bits refer to plasma or other superheated substances.

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »

There was also a MASSIVE thread that was trying to figure out what exactly IS flux and they never really DID come up with the answer...
well...I went digging around that discussion and oh man, it felt very much like Fanboi Central in there.

I prefer to simply think of flux as a three-dimensional manifestation of one's own suspension of disbelief, and then I just back away slowly towards the exit. Otherwise, in that direction lies madness. :o What with lore being the sinews that bind the gameplay skeleton together (and not vice versa), flux could be caused by Alien Space Bats for all it matters. Just my $0.02; plz don't kill the messenger. ;)
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »

'Flux' means flow/instability. So it seems likely that it refers to a type of energy current that stems from a ship's reactor, lots of lore bits refer to plasma or other superheated substances.

I was under the impression that flux was a generic term the people give to an energy outflow that they don't quite understand, due to a lot of knowledge being lost from the collapse.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 12:30:02 PM »

It's time like these, when these threads pop up, that I like to think, " In a hundred years or whenever humanity actually figures this crap out, will someone look back to this thread and think, how are they that stupid?"

Or will someone in this thread have posed an idea that seems impossible but in actuality is how to properly establish an energy shield, and they'll say wow this guy had it figured out centuries/decades ago.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »

well...I went digging around that discussion and oh man, it felt very much like Fanboi Central in there.

I prefer to simply think of flux as a three-dimensional manifestation of one's own suspension of disbelief, and then I just back away slowly towards the exit. Otherwise, in that direction lies madness. :o What with lore being the sinews that bind the gameplay skeleton together (and not vice versa), flux could be caused by Alien Space Bats for all it matters. Just my $0.02; plz don't kill the messenger. ;)

+1

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 10:34:39 AM »

I prefer to simply think of flux as a three-dimensional manifestation of one's own suspension of disbelief, and then I just back away slowly towards the exit.

I literally laughed out loud. Awesome.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »

The way I have it figured out: firing weapons, using shields and engines requires energy.
 That energy is produced by the reactor, and every reactor creates some form of byproduct as a result of its functioning.
 Perhaps flux is reactor waste that needs to be vented so as to not pile up inside the ship and make its way back to the reactor, thus clogging and overloading it, which in term sends energy surges that paralyze the ships systems.

Shields may be a currently undiscovered form of magnetic field, as magnetic fields can manipulate both matter and energy, perhaps its polarity may be oriented away from the ships, crushing projectiles as they make contact.

Engines is easy, devices that burn a fuel, in SSs case infernium to create a controlled explosion and direct it in a certain way to create thrust.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:38:00 PM by Sabaton »
Pages: [1] 2