Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weapons  (Read 2632 times)

LiquidStang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Weapons
« on: January 06, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »

I'd like to make a suggestion. I would like a weapon that shoots glass, I know it's silly, but I would also like an option, glass, fire, (which this feature already exists) and both.
David

Starsector is challenging, but what's more challenging is dealing with people who encourage you to try real hard.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:22:52 PM »

Glass?  Like, clear shard-like shots or a spray of particles?  What would be special about the shots, other than being glass?  Maybe they could be big chunks that spawn a bunch of little chunks when they've hit something?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

LiquidStang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »

Glass?  Like, clear shard-like shots or a spray of particles?  What would be special about the shots, other than being glass?  Maybe they could be big chunks that spawn a bunch of little chunks when they've hit something?

Agreed Xenoargh!
David

Starsector is challenging, but what's more challenging is dealing with people who encourage you to try real hard.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 11:13:39 PM »

Glass would do little against a high tensile steel alloy hull tbh...unless and very high Mach numbers or fractions of relativistic speeds. Depleted Uranium is about as good as it gets in terms of kinetic projectile. High density, ablatively self sharpening when penetrating hulls, and when the powdered DU is exposed to air it explodes in an inferno.  Yep, give me DU penetrators any day of the week. If that stuff is being hurled at your ship at high Mach or relativistic speeds it's all over.

LiquidStang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 08:54:36 AM »

Glass would do little against a high tensile steel alloy hull tbh...unless and very high Mach numbers or fractions of relativistic speeds. Depleted Uranium is about as good as it gets in terms of kinetic projectile. High density, ablatively self sharpening when penetrating hulls, and when the powdered DU is exposed to air it explodes in an inferno.  Yep, give me DU penetrators any day of the week. If that stuff is being hurled at your ship at high Mach or relativistic speeds it's all over.

But, if it you were to mix glass with special material that would work, but again it depends on what special material it is. Fire or ice could work, perhaps. But it would be pretty conflict if there were to many problems. I don't think that will happen.
David

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:41:38 AM »

We can already put in projectiles with alpha values that would look like glass, so thats not a problem, and with scripts can make projectiles that shatter into sub-projectiles. So the real question is: What would you like the glass to do? If its normal damage, but shatters into shrapnel, then it sounds like its a cool idea we can do with a bit of work.

LiquidStang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 12:23:27 PM »

We can already put in projectiles with alpha values that would look like glass, so thats not a problem, and with scripts can make projectiles that shatter into sub-projectiles. So the real question is: What would you like the glass to do? If its normal damage, but shatters into shrapnel, then it sounds like its a cool idea we can do with a bit of work.

There are 3 things I would like the glass to do, as options:

1. Shatter glass in the enemies eyes.
2. Use the glass to form a sheild.
3. Use the glass to wrap the enemy around, (You choose what part of the body will be wrapped around)

What do you think?
David

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »

So a shattering spray, a PD-like thing that surrounds a ship with shards, and something pretty tricky to pull off (basically, it'd have to be timed sprite change with an effect).  The first two are easy, the last one would be fairly tricky; I thought of doing something like that for the Freeze Ray but it's a lot of work to pull something like that off.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

LiquidStang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 01:39:43 PM »

So a shattering spray, a PD-like thing that surrounds a ship with shards, and something pretty tricky to pull off (basically, it'd have to be timed sprite change with an effect).  The first two are easy, the last one would be fairly tricky; I thought of doing something like that for the Freeze Ray but it's a lot of work to pull something like that off.

The freeze ray will work better. I agree.
David