Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: About as much fun as getting my teeth pulled.  (Read 19768 times)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: About as much fun as getting my teeth pulled.
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2013, 06:21:04 PM »

You have to pay just as much attention to your fleet outside of combat as you do while in a combat situation. If your CR dropped from 70% to 2% after one fight, you did something very wrong.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »

I was going to post something, but my destroyer was just obliterated by a wave of fighters when I suddenly started a combat and could not so much as TURN MY SHIP.

Because obviously no one noticed holes getting punched by pea shooters... even when bulkheads collapsed and engines exploded.  

Edit:

I just tried playing again, got to the point where I had a carrier and a small fighter fleet. For some reason, my CR dropped from 70% to 2% after a fight, and I lost my flagship to a pair of tiny destroyers because no one could so much as shoot a gun (evidently, people dying is not a good enough sign that we are under attack, and my fighters don't so much as blink to defend the carrier)

It's not enough that I want my money back for this abortion of a game choice, I want to scream for an hour in front of the developers, asking them what made them think this was a good idea.

Oh ffs. First, why couldn't your destroyer be guttered by fighters? Even in real life, fighter-bombers are bane to capital ships. Maybe improve your piloting or equip your ship so you can actually take on fast moving fighters?

Second, you bloody answered your own question: "For some reason, my CR dropped from 70% to 2% after a fight..." Figure out HOW CR works and WHY it drops first maybe? That 'feedback' was the equivalent of "I don't know how it works but I still want it to do what I want! WAHHHH".

Your lack of enjoyment stems from your refusal to engage the game mechanic beyond pew pew so either you learn to understand the game or find something simpler to play. In fact, go read the dev blogs too so you'll know why CR was implemented instead of screaming for an hour like an idiot.

Constructive criticism people! Don't just complain because you don't like something. Current CR is not perfect but there's a fine line between whining and feedback. No, actually it's a great bloody highway between the two. Think DEEPER!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:43:45 PM by SQW »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2013, 06:45:02 PM »

If your CR dropped from 70% to 2% after one fight, you did something very wrong.
Yeah, like take heavy damage, have low CR from damage and a couple of rounds of fighting (Pursuit after a decisive victory) and not have nearly enough room for the 1000 Supplies / Fuel / Loot that just dropped.  If you lose enough Crew, this can quite easily happen, as the Logistics penalty piles on with the not-enough-Crew penalties, which are quite severe.

This is why I said I think that Logistics penalties should affect Burn, rather than suddenly crippling CR.  It's not an intuitive mechanic.  It's hard to see what's happened and why.  It's also hard to react fast enough, in some situations, before CR has already dropped into the toilet.  

Hopefully, the new explanation dialogs will educate new players to the point where this isn't a major hassle, but frankly, I've seen that kind of scenario happen, and there isn't any good way out, other than knowing the mechanics work this way in advance and being extremely cautious on the Loot screen.  Which is tedious, and, after beating a formidable enemy at great odds, very frustrating.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »

Spoiler
I was going to post something, but my destroyer was just obliterated by a wave of fighters when I suddenly started a combat and could not so much as TURN MY SHIP.

Because obviously no one noticed holes getting punched by pea shooters... even when bulkheads collapsed and engines exploded.  

Edit:

I just tried playing again, got to the point where I had a carrier and a small fighter fleet. For some reason, my CR dropped from 70% to 2% after a fight, and I lost my flagship to a pair of tiny destroyers because no one could so much as shoot a gun (evidently, people dying is not a good enough sign that we are under attack, and my fighters don't so much as blink to defend the carrier)

It's not enough that I want my money back for this abortion of a game choice, I want to scream for an hour in front of the developers, asking them what made them think this was a good idea.

Oh ffs. First, why couldn't your destroyer be guttered by fighters? Even in real life, fighter-bombers are bane to capital ships. Maybe improve your piloting or equip your ship so you can actually take on fast moving fighters?

Second, you bloody answered your own question: "For some reason, my CR dropped from 70% to 2% after a fight..." Figure out HOW CR works and WHY it drops first maybe? That 'feedback' was the equivalent of "I don't know how it works but I still want it to do what I want! WAHHHH".

Your lack of enjoyment stems from your refusal to engage the game mechanic beyond pew pew so either you learn to understand the game or find something simpler to play. In fact, go read the dev blogs too so you'll know why CR was implemented instead of screaming for an hour like an idiot.

Constructive criticism people! Don't just complain because you don't like something. Current CR is not perfect but there's a fine line between whining and feedback. No, actually it's a great bloody highway between the two. Think DEEPER!
[close]

No need to blatantly insult other community members SQW, his complaints are systemic from the lack of in game information which I have discussed previously.
At the very least point him towards the FAQ and be polite about it. Or try to discuss at length the problems with his play style, fleet composition or combat tactics.

ATM directing fighters and bombers to targets is like herding cats, getting them to target unshielded sections is like playing the lottery.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2013, 07:17:23 PM »

Xeno, I think reducing the burn is a boring mechanic compared to the current one, because it promotes moving slow on the map (without suffering serious penalties), compared to the current "harsh" that promotes fleet management directly. I find most threads\posts that describe fleet management as frustrating quite opposite to my opinion given how painfully short SS playthroughs are.

About the OP, you need to calm down, I feel like the feedback you are giving is totally nonconstructive and blatantly harsh. Read stuff on the forum, get informed, ask away, the community here is way better then the way you sound right now so it will help you with your misinformed opinions.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2013, 07:23:23 PM »

Link to the FAQ and Guide

Now let's not take things too personal everybody. Let's stay on topic.  ;)

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2013, 09:46:57 PM »

I think what Alex is planning to do (nerf the current penalties a bit, give newbies an easier starting option, give them copious information) is probably enough to get this issue fixed.  We'll just have to see what the feedback looks like then, but I'm optimistic :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2013, 01:57:17 AM »

No need to blatantly insult other community members SQW, his complaints are systemic from the lack of in game information which I have discussed previously.

I guess I lost patience with members who whine first and think never. If he/she had not came off so immature and hostile to the dev I'd have given him/her some slack.

Complaining without first attempting to understand the game is hugely disrespectful to the creator and clutter up the forum with useless 'me want' posts. 

As for the un-intuitiveness of the game so far, yeah I agree with you it's a problem but it's also an Alpha so a bit of digging is expected. In fact, most of the info are present - just buried under tool tips all over the place.

I do hope Alex hire a professional to do a proper tutorial/manual at the end so casual gamers don't down vote the game because they never played a space game where you have to think about logistic.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2013, 03:44:14 AM »

I agree his closing comments were rude as directed at the developers. As much as I'd like to give social commentary on the way he communicated his dissatisfaction of his gameplay experience, I fear I have spoken unfavorably of aspects of Alex's work and Starsector in not too dissimilar a fashion at various posts - though I have probably tried at greater length to understand the concepts behind what I find dissatisfactory in the game.

I've been one of the persistent advocates for change I the Cr system, however I do see what it is for and I want it to be I the game. The caveat is that there needs to be a longer term means to still allow players to scale their fleet up to carry multiple battleships. Those mechanics, whether they be Industry or some skill or specialization or balancing I don't know.

All I do know is that when SS hits 1.0 there will be glorious firefights with my fleets of battleships.

Either that or I'm going to take Alex to task.  ;D

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2013, 07:56:41 AM »

It's a sad day when you have to get third party support to make a game work the way it should.

What is worse is that at some point in the design process, someone thought "Hey, this would be a -great- Idea!!"

The nail in the coffin is that his coworkers didn't slap him across the face for thinking it.

With a nail studded bat.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »

Okay, you clearly don't want help in learning how to play the game properly, so I'm just going to stop trying to help.

Mod your game back to easy mode and quit complaining.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2013, 10:58:20 AM »

Seriously... it takes like 5 minutes to mod out CR entirely; it was easier to nerf it severely than to get it to the point where it's challenging but doesn't cause serious problems (still working on balance over here, not satisfied I've found the sweet spot yet). 

But it's not like this is a system you have to live with if you're really unhappy with it; the game's easy to mod.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2013, 11:29:53 AM »

The nail in the coffin is that his coworkers didn't slap him across the face for thinking it.

With a nail studded bat.

OK, two points:

- Getting personal like that is absolutely unnecessary, inappropriate and frankly, distasteful. I'll give you an official warning for that, further comments in this vein will lead to a temp ban.

- Constructive criticism of the game is very welcome. I have real trouble finding anything of the like in your comments though. If you have specific suggestion what to change about the game, feel free to post them in Suggestions. That you are not happy with the current state of the game has been understood and does not need further emphasis.

The thread is closed.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]