Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.9.1a is out! (05/10/19); Blog post: GIF Roundup (04/11/20); The forum will be down for maintenance from the night of Monday, August 10th into Tuesday, EST

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No one finishes space games  (Read 11215 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Quantum Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: No one finishes space games
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »

This is going to make me sound like a horrific alcoholic, but I determine if something is worth my money or not with the "beer test."

Long story short, I weigh however much money I just spent on a game/whatever versus the entertainment I would get from an equivalent dollar amount spent out at the pub. Beer where I live is absurdly expensive: $6-8 for a pint that will keep me entertained for an hour or so. Starsector is $10, and I've gotten hundreds of hours of entertainment out it either modding or playing (or just *** around on the forums <3). By that line of reasoning, I've gotten way more out of an easy $10 dollar purchase than I could have had from the same amount spent on alcohol. Money well spent. The occasional update only serves to sweeten the deal.

(Yes, this is actually how I determine if something was a good use of my money. Don't judge me  :-[)

You are not alone in this way of judging entertainment... Cheers!

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »

*hic*

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »

The only reliable metric is to judge against your favorite intoxicant.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »

I do it with food. "Is this worth more than a nice meal at my favorite place?" saved me from many pointless purchases.

IronBorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »

Heh, I actually bought it just for the missions mode way back before Alex started working on it full time. I didn't even realize there was going to be a campaign mode until I checked out the game again over a year later. So really, that is just a bonus to me. I still actually prefer the missions, as the campaign is more of a boring grind, and it is too risky to take on any chancy battles because you'll lose everything and have to grind again :(

Anyways, I think it is a good deal for the cheap price! Though, the missions need to be adjusted for the recent changes. Fighters don't seem to regenerate like in campaign.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 09:29:23 PM »

The way i judge value of money spent is similar to the beer test, its "the Movie paradigm"  ( yes i just made that name up randomly to sound fancy)

Its very simple, where I live a movie is about 10 Standard currency units (SCU) for 1 adult, and if I'm going to see a movie i'm pretty much guaranteed 2 ish hours of entertainment, thus 10 SCU is equivalent to 2 hours of entertainment.

I then  apply this to games as well, thus all i have to do to get enjoyment out of a purchase is divide it's price by 10 then multiply by 2, or in layman's terms, for every 10 SCU get 2 hours of enjoyment. so a 60$ game like GTA 5 i must play for at least 12 hours and i've gotten my money's worth. However anything after that is pure gain, so yeah. And yes the way this system works means that for BUYING a movie usually a dvd or blu-ray to be worth it i have to watch it roughly 2.5 times.

As another example this makes netflix one of the best investments you can make if you like watching things for 8 SCU a month 8/10 of a movie per month you can watch unlimited quantities of stuff, mostly Star Trek. :D

So by that logic I could have spent 10 SCU on starsector or nearly 4-5 THOUSAND SCU on movies instead of starsector. I think my point is quite clear here.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:31:51 PM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Coolrah

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 06:45:30 PM »

I feel like these types of post are always inevitable but its great to see the community show support for SS . I can't lie though its proven to be well worth more anything else I've bought for 10.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:47:46 PM by Coolrah »
Its always a good day to die

Hotshot3434

• Ensign
  • "Time For Some Thrilling Heroics"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 04:21:55 PM »

Off Topic:
watch unlimited quantities of stuff, mostly Star Trek. :D
Star Trek ftw.

On Topic:
I also agree with this system of measurement, but slightly different numbers. For a game to be 'worth it' in my opinion I have to have 1 hour of enjoyable game play for every 1-2 dollars I spend (I am a bit of a cheapo  ;D), and this game has far surpassed that expectation. The vanilla game itself left me satisfied with my purchase and, if you include the amazing modding attention this game has received, will keep me playing for a long time.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Bitbucket profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 10:15:34 PM »

You know, the OP kind of makes it sound like non-crowdsourced games (space and otherwise, although there aren't really that many of the former) by established studios/publishers don't get released in a half-baked state all too often  :-X

Lordxorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 11:45:17 PM »

I am far from a fan boy, and have been away from Starsecter since it was known as Starfarer, and I will say one thing, Alex the developer has been providing updates consistently.  Sure it has taken a couple of years, but he was upfront about working on it only during his off time and needed a regular job to support his family.

So I wholeheartedly disagree with OP, as he must have skipped right past the development threads that obviously prove Alex has working on Starsector VERY hard!  Keep faith Alex.

snooze

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 08:22:50 AM »

I've purchased plenty of "finished" games in the past that were absolutely rubbish. I like the closeness and the community around indie games. I also appreciate there not being an army of shareholders that hold the developer at ransom just to squeeze a few more extra bucks from the consumers. In terms of playing this game, no, I haven't actually played it much. It's been installed on my iMac ever since I bought it (31st August) but there's so much else to play that I've not bothered too much. I still follow blogs and development but it doesn't bother me that the game isn't being updated with new patches every week. The few pounds I spent on Starsector is the equivalent of abstaining from a couple of coffees at Costa, I can definitely live with that.

Keep up the good work Alex, I have faith in you.

Sidie Hawkton

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 03:40:37 AM »

To add to the love fest, I have to say that this is my "best game ever" and it's not even done getting awesome yet.  I've been watching this game develop from missions only, and avidly check for the next update.  I honestly can't even remember when I purchased it, it was so long ago and so much a regular part of my life now.  I am treasuring the experience of this game's growth and change.  It'll be a bitter sweet moment when it's "done."

They say it takes a village to raise a kid...  This is one H*** of a village we have here.  ('Our village can stomp your village' rants ensue.)

Besides, what's so important/great about "finishing" a game?  What makes it "finished"?

Starfar...sector is worth much more than the price of admission, and it is an admission more than anything else.  Enjoy the show/experience, join in, and learn a thing or forty.

(I can't remember who said it now, but great idea to gift this.  Can't believe I didn't think of it before now...)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »

Thank you, all! Your support means a lot, and I'll do my best to deliver :)

Obscure

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 09:24:31 AM »

I for one am looking forward to it!

on that subject, more blog posts please?
Pages: 1 [2]