Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Issue with fleet pursuit maximum thrust/burn?  (Read 2219 times)

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
Issue with fleet pursuit maximum thrust/burn?
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:31:37 PM »

I came across the issue on a lark, after increasing "speedPerBurnLevel" to 100 in 'settings.json' and testing out several (modded) very-high thrust/burn hulls.

When selecting non-ship/fleet destinations (stations, planets, asteroids, etc.), my ship/fleet easily reached the thrust/burn hard cap of 20, but when selecting another ship/fleet to follow or intercept, the maximum burn they attained was only 12.

What's more, the maximum burn seemed to be rapidly fluctuating between 11 and 12, as if the pursuit algorithm couldn't properly calc the appropriate thrust/burn for whatever reason...

So, frak up on my end, or core/game engine issue/bug?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:33:31 PM by TimeDiver »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with fleet pursuit maximum thrust/burn?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »

I think what's happening is the fleet is trying to arrive at the destination its tracking at speed 0, so it's braking once it gets close enough. Not normally an issue (especially since you generally want to control the destination manually when trying to intercept something), but shows up prominently here because of the extreme speed/burn values.

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with fleet pursuit maximum thrust/burn?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 11:16:15 PM »

Hmmm, good to know. I suspected that I was playing with fire by doing so, but now I know for sure.

Thanks for the quick reply, boss-man.