Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Plans to post game updates alongside Twitter?  (Read 1821 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Plans to post game updates alongside Twitter?
« on: July 02, 2023, 12:54:02 AM »

With Twitter basically having a paywall now, would it be feasable to post tease content on other places? I don't know where exactly and mind you this is not something that's detrimental to me, I barely use it as is. But imagine sharing a twitter link (which happens here in discussions) and then seeing that a part of people can't even see what you posted. It's ridiculous. It's like this year is the speedrunning year to see who can kill their own social sites quicker.

Btw this is obviously directed to Alex as that's a vast majority of content that gets posted about the game, then I remember David also sometimes teases things and talks about art in the game, which would also be a shame to be limited to that cesspool of a site.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 07:30:18 AM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Plans to post game updates alongside Twitter?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 02:09:58 AM »

I don't care about Twitter throttling bandwidth as much as it not being intuitive that Twitter would be the (only) place where Alex posts development teasers. I tend to forget he does that.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 08:53:47 PM »

Has there been any new teasers?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 12:22:13 AM »

Nope.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 05:19:30 AM »

Speaking for myself, I think I stopped posting on Twitter back in April. The trajectory of the site does indeed look like it's heading rapidly toward dead-due-to-incompetence.

I did like having a place to post Starsector art teasers, but I'm not sure where to do that anymore. Will have to talk to Alex about "marketing strategy".

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2023, 02:53:46 AM »

Speaking for myself, I think I stopped posting on Twitter back in April. The trajectory of the site does indeed look like it's heading rapidly toward dead-due-to-incompetence.

I did like having a place to post Starsector art teasers, but I'm not sure where to do that anymore. Will have to talk to Alex about "marketing strategy".

You could make a scheduled twitch/youtube stream, to talk about big upcoming updates to the game.
Disadvantage is you will have to do some setup. (its free but it'll take some time)
Advantage is you will likely get more publicity to the game.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 03:56:33 AM »

You could make a scheduled twitch/youtube stream, to talk about big upcoming updates to the game.
Disadvantage is you will have to do some setup. (its free but it'll take some time)
Advantage is you will likely get more publicity to the game.
We have blog posts already? Seems extreme to do a stream just for a tease or two. And I much prefer the textual updates with screenshots where you can easily navigate everything rather than flipping through a vod trying to find specific information.

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 12:17:00 PM »

Maybe posting and engaging in many places would be a good idea; with a little automation, you could even have a full-court-press in just a few clicks.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2023, 04:20:49 PM »

Maybe posting and engaging in many places would be a good idea; with a little automation, you could even have a full-court-press in just a few clicks.

theres an interesting game that covers why that might be a bad idea down the line, it's called starsector you should play it some time lol
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Liral

• Admiral
  • Realistic Combat Mod Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2023, 09:07:19 PM »

theres an interesting game that covers why that might be a bad idea down the line, it's called starsector you should play it some time lol

Not sure what you mean.  A little script can post the same text and images to multiple social media sites.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2023, 05:55:28 PM »

that's how it starts.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

TheLaughingDead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2023, 06:06:18 PM »

Not sure what you mean.  A little script can post the same text and images to multiple social media sites.
Alluding to alpha AI and AI wars, I imagine.