Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Man' Sky  (Read 10746 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
No Man' Sky
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »

hmmm

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: No Man' Sky
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 11:01:38 PM »

·_·

°_°

O_O

Shaddup and take my money!

(Sorry, couldn't chat on skype for a while, will be free soon)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:37:46 PM »

but... what is it?

exploration and dogfight, ok, but what do you do otherwise?

looks damn good though, looking forward to more details

btw, link says user removed video, is this the thing?

mmm.... tartiflette

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 12:20:22 AM »

Yes, this is interesting the first video I saw was taken down. Then I found the one I linked here which they then nuked, now there is a new one you posted.

???

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 01:08:46 AM »

All I see is Sci-Fi exploration. I need no more than that. If it's half as good as the trailer it shall have my money

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »

Poor execution but The Precursors had some great ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Aqqh46tfdN0

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 03:06:28 PM »

I'm pretty impressed with their use of voxels and procedural systems, but it raises a lot of questions about how they're actually executing things and how much game there will be, vs. just flying around and occasionally blowing things up.  

While that can be fun, it needs structure, and it's not something that should get designed as an afterthought.  A game with combat needs that combat to be inherently good and carefully designed, and it's more important to get the "active" parts of a game perfect than the way the scenery's built.  What little we saw of combat suggested a fairly clunky experience that was an afterthought, rather than something that's been carefully thought out.

If they're are trying for a seamless experience that's all algorithmically driven, it's quite difficult to have a lot of persistence, simply because of memory issues.  

For example, you blow up the mountain that the Evil Aliens were hiding their fortress in with a nuke.  

Great, it's awesome to use voxel terrains to give players the power to destroy things.  But then you visit a nearby planet, and the game doesn't have the memory to store all those voxel states, and when you return, the mountain's back, along with the fortress, since these things were all generated with the voxel system and the algorithm says, "build mountain fortress here".  

The Evil Aliens might be gone, if their states can be stored in a really cheap way, but the illusion is broken.  Counting on players not to notice this stuff because they're never going to return is a bad sign; it says there isn't enough game that we're ever going to care about the locations we visit, or that we're supposed to just keep on keeping on, never really getting interested or attached to things.  That kind of takes away from the "exploration" aspects a lot; if I literally don't end up caring about the places that are being generated procedurally, because they're all just kind of a blur after a while... there had better be one heck of a good game design hiding under there.

In short, thus far it's feeling like a brilliant tech-demo but not like a game I'd play for more than a half-hour.  But it's obviously very early in development and based on their previous title, it's quite likely that they've just shown it so early that it's too early to judge.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:12:30 PM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 06:07:19 PM »

@ Xeno, agreed but no doubt it has enormous potential in theory, speaking of that the procedural space game that hold the most promise to me is Limit Theory.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »

Have been following LT since the kickstarter. I've been silly enough not to back it.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »

Couldn't the voxel states just be stored on the hard drive and loaded in like on minecraft? These days hard drives have a lot of space you know.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 10:48:22 PM »

yeah, super excited for Limit Theory, glad I backed it. I heard people thought he was a scam back in the beginning but I never understood why

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 11:55:57 PM »

For posterity's sake, Their offices flooded, they didn't have flood insurance and they lost everything... so the future  of this game is very much so up in the air. :(

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 07:24:11 AM »

If they do a kickstarter or start offering preorders in order to continue developing the game I'm in.

LiquidStang

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »

It looks like someone took all may dreams out oft my head and l then put them in this game (and The witcher 3, dishonored, dying light, star citizen, destiny, black desert, GTA online) ?
David

Starsector is challenging, but what's more challenging is dealing with people who encourage you to try real hard.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 03:16:38 AM »

Hmmm new trailer for No Man's Sky, and they quite handily topped the first one. But it is going to be on PS4 before PC, frak...

Well they been busy at E3, they literally just put out the third trailer.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:43:36 AM by MesoTroniK »
Pages: [1] 2