Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stocked ships should pull from faction ship name lists  (Read 1658 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Stocked ships should pull from faction ship name lists
« on: December 04, 2013, 05:08:18 AM »

Just a small thing that irks me. Whenever I play Exerelin or some mod that has a lot of factions + Blackrock, any ship for sale has a chance to spawn with ANY ship name. Blackrock ship names lose their uniqueness when they keep showing up on other faction's ships. On top of that, Blackrock ships will spawn with greek, roman ETC ship names in the faction's own stations. Could it be possible to change which string list these are pulled from? Or could it be possible to name a ship AFTER it gets bought? All unbought ships will lack names and instead just show the hull name, and then, once you buy the ship, a dialog pops up "Name your new ship: ISS -" or "Name your new ship: HSS -" based on what faction you buy from/belong to. With a button to pull a name from the appropriate ship name list if you dont care to name it. Any ship you BOARD will keep the old name, which is entirely appropriate. :)

Like i said mostly a pet peeve suggestion but it does break immersion somewhat. I guess all station-bought ships are used ones with a history of their own, which reflects the fact they are already named, but once Industry rolls around, one should produce nameless ships.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:47:20 AM by Cycerin »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Stocked ships should pull from faction ship name lists
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:19:33 AM »

+1, I've seen that happening as well, and it'd be nice, for flavor purposes :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack