What's next? (pick 2 options)

Boarding Frigate
Heavy Cruiser
Capital-class Carrier
Dreadnought (bigger battleship)
A Batavian Homesystem
More misc; Weapons, Hullmods, Shipsystems

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Project Batavia V10 - Part of Exerelin! Uomoz's Sector compatible!  (Read 142035 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

First guess (and I'm pretty sure it's it) is Game of Thrones.  At least, with a different past where the houses actually united and aren't trying to backstab eachother. :D

If not, then it has to be related to the Netherlands, mayhaps William of Orange.

I seem to like House Uter quite a bit - shipwrights.  Just the kind of think I might enjoy doing, actually.  Building stuff!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:49:55 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile

First guess (and I'm pretty sure it's it) is Game of Thrones.  At least, with a different past where the houses actually united and aren't trying to backstab eachother. :D

If not, then it has to be related to the Netherlands, mayhaps William of Orange.

I seem to like House Uter quite a bit - shipwrights.  Just the kind of think I might enjoy doing, actually.  Building stuff!

:D You're not far off. No it isn't Game of Thrones. I haven't actually watched GoT yet. The faction's history is roughly based on the Republic of Seven United Provinces (precursor to the Netherlands). Hence they were called the Consortium of Seven United Houses. All ship names are also based on Dutch WW2 and pre-WW2 era ships. Each house's name coresponds to an actual province. As does the heraldry, as you can see below:

It is also somewhat inspired by Frank Herbert's Dune, and the houses of the Landsraad.

As a prize you get a Seven Provinces dreadnought with a House Uter paintscheme. ;)

I aim to give each house a bigger impact on the actual faction. Like house specific fleets, ships and stations. Anyway, that's still a ways of.  :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:35:28 AM by Erick Doe »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

Oh, nice, an Uter Seven Provinces. :)

I personally find House Grel to have the most cool-looking banner.  Although I suppose that's fitting for an uber-greedy house. :D

Having some House-based fleets or the such would be really nice.  Like with the next update, House Grel fleets might do more cargo checks than other factions.
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Having house specific fleets is my goal. Still, that's a little ways off.

Dreadnought close-up achieved by spectating and zooming in on fighters
Spoiler
[close]

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Added 3 new missile weapons, replacing the built-in Sabots, Harpoons and Pilums on Batavian ships.

They are the small 1 missile Thunderbolt MRM (Single), the small 4 missile Thunderbolt MRM and the medium Advanced Thunderbolt MRM with 8 missiles.

Thunderbolts are basically MRMs with superior range (3500 range / 2500 range) over the Harpoon, but with a less heavy payload (600 dmg / 700 dmg). The basic MRM and the advanced one also have more ammo over Harpoons. The Thunderbolt missiles are also more heavily armoured but less maneuverable than Harpoon missiles.

In short:
-Longer range
-More ammo
-More hitpoints
-less damage
-less turning and acceleration
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:50:19 AM by Erick Doe »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

Oh, more missiles! :D

By the way, you think the Vergelder missiles could have some special effects to them once the next Starsector update hits?  Specifically, making the fragmentation and kinetic versions a tad different.  What about giving the frag version a proximity fuse, and making the kinetic version like a mini SABOT missile, where once it gets within a certain distance, it fires off a small projectile (hence why waiting for the next SS update would help)?

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile

Hey Eric, for house fleets have you considered patterns? Like warhammer 40k, where there are various different "patterns" of las gun based on which planet or whatever produces them. For instance perhaps House Uter could produce the standard Batavia warships, and considering they are the shipwrights they could possibly have possibly more efficient or better armored vessel variants.
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile

By the way, you think the Vergelder missiles could have some special effects to them once the next Starsector update hits?  Specifically, making the fragmentation and kinetic versions a tad different.  What about giving the frag version a proximity fuse, and making the kinetic version like a mini SABOT missile, where once it gets within a certain distance, it fires off a small projectile (hence why waiting for the next SS update would help)?

This can all be done now, but would require scripting the missiles heavily rather than vanilla supporting it natively in .65... But custom missile AI have the advantage of being significantly more optimized, but it really does not matter that much unless you are firing a bunch of them.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

By the way, you think the Vergelder missiles could have some special effects to them once the next Starsector update hits?  Specifically, making the fragmentation and kinetic versions a tad different.  What about giving the frag version a proximity fuse, and making the kinetic version like a mini SABOT missile, where once it gets within a certain distance, it fires off a small projectile (hence why waiting for the next SS update would help)?
I think I'll keep the Vergelders as is. But I will be added more varied missiles with different effects and such.

Hey Eric, for house fleets have you considered patterns? Like warhammer 40k, where there are various different "patterns" of las gun based on which planet or whatever produces them. For instance perhaps House Uter could produce the standard Batavia warships, and considering they are the shipwrights they could possibly have possibly more efficient or better armored vessel variants.
Yes, I am considering adding patterns and symbols to the ships, depending on what house produced them. But I'm going to wait for the next update before working on that.

This can all be done now, but would require scripting the missiles heavily rather than vanilla supporting it natively in .65... But custom missile AI have the advantage of being significantly more optimized, but it really does not matter that much unless you are firing a bunch of them.
I'm not going to delve too deep into custom scripting. PB doesn't even need Lazylib.  :)

Let's see, what have I been doing in the meantime... I've finished the three Thunderbolt MRM variants. Added a BIG torpedo. Added 1 - 3 new frames for a bunch of weapons, making their animations look smooth. Turned some universal slots into ballistic, to avoid being able to turn every ship into a missile boat. Tweaked all existing missile weapons, the Aukes has a longer flight time, is slower and more hitpoints. Added some new animated parts to ships. I've still got to update the hullmod descriptions and will be adding new ones. Still need to finish the 3 new portraits. Update the campaign to feature more varied fleets.

I should keep a changelog.  ::)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

IMPORTANT

Zaphide has updated Exerelin to use V9b. I have removed the old download link to V7c.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

I have V10 ready to go, but I'd just like to add a few more weapons and hullmods before I release it. Possibly even a new portrait. Here's the changelog so far:

Version Changes
New Stuff:
-New ship system for Zwaardvis Subcosmic Cruiser: Torpedo Loader
-New hullmod: Batavian Heat Resistance (heat resistant alloys allow engines to go slightly faster)
-New weapon: Draak L-01 (large ballistic and high-explosive weapon)
-New weapon: Draak L-02 (stronger and built-in version of the L-01)
-New weapon: Thunderbolt MRM: (a small 4 missile mid-to-long range launcher)
-New weapon: Thunderbolt MRM (single): (a small 1 missile mid-to-long range launcher)
-New weapon: Advanced Thunderbolt MRM: (a medium 8 missile mid-to-long range launcher)
-New ship: Seven Provinces-class Dreadnought: (a huge capitalship with a built-in Draak L-02 and a flightdeck)
-20 new shipnames added
-New content added to campaign (weapons, ships), including a new dreadnought fleet
-Two new missions: Random vs Batavians and Batavians vs Random (randomly generated fleets)
-Added a new animated part for Batavian ships

Changes:
-Reduced speed for combat thrusters
-Added variation in explosion radii for Batavian weapons
-Added multiple frames to a bunch of Batavian weapons, making their animations look smooth instead of choppy
-Tweaks to Vergelder and Aukes projectiles, including longer flight time for the Aukes missiles
-Updated and improved existing hullmod descriptions to more accurately display what they actually do
-Turned several universal weapon slots to ballistic only, to avoid ships from becoming overpowered missile boats
-Fixed spelling errors in various descriptions
-Several more small balancing tweaks that I forgot about

[update]
Currently waiting for Zaphide to update Exerelin, before uploading V10
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:03:46 AM by Erick Doe »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

And Zaphide has updated Exerelin, can't wait to get back in with Batavia. :)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

And Zaphide has updated Exerelin, can't wait to get back in with Batavia. :)

V10 will be up an hour or so from now. Maybe two.  :D

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Here she is:

click on the image to download

Changelog:
Spoiler
Version Changes
New Stuff:
-3 new portraits
-New ship system for Zwaardvis Subcosmic Cruiser: Torpedo Loader
-New hullmod: Batavian Heat Resistance (heat resistant alloys allow engines to go slightly faster)
-New weapon: Draak L-01 (large ballistic and high-explosive weapon)
-New weapon: Draak L-02 (stronger and built-in version of the L-01)
-New weapon: Thunderbolt MRM: (a small 4 missile mid-to-long range launcher)
-New weapon: Thunderbolt MRM (single): (a small 1 missile mid-to-long range launcher)
-New weapon: Advanced Thunderbolt MRM: (a medium 8 missile mid-to-long range launcher)
-New ship: Seven Provinces-class Dreadnought: (a huge capitalship with a built-in Draak L-02 and a flightdeck)
-20 new shipnames added
-New content added to campaign (weapons, ships), including a new dreadnought fleet
-Two new missions: Random vs Batavians and Batavians vs Random (randomly generated fleets)
-Added a new animated part for Batavian ships

Changes:
-Reduced speed for combat thrusters
-Added variation in explosion radii for Batavian weapons
-Added multiple frames to a bunch of Batavian weapons, making their animations look smooth instead of choppy
-Tweaks to Vergelder and Aukes projectiles, including longer flight time for the Aukes missiles
-Updated and improved existing hullmod descriptions to more accurately display what they actually do
-Turned several universal weapon slots to ballistic only, to avoid ships from becoming overpowered missile boats
-Fixed spelling errors in various descriptions
-Several more small balancing tweaks that I forgot about
[close]

Please post any feedback you may have. It is quite important to me. Changes like the tweaked missile stats and improved hullmod descriptions were all done following player feedback.

Exerelin was updated to use this latest version!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 05:40:58 AM by Erick Doe »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

My opinion so far.  Seriously though, if the enemy has just 2 Tromp Mk.IIs or (god forbid) an Aukes frigate, the field is simply flooded with these tiny guys.  Sure, they're easy to kill, but my screen is literally filled so many of these tiny red diamonds that I can't see tell a missile from a marine, and that's lost me my ship on many occasions.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19