Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Core gameplay modding?  (Read 1825 times)

EvilKoala

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Core gameplay modding?
« on: November 29, 2013, 08:36:33 AM »

Is it possible to mod aspects of the core game play? Things like max camera zoom and the length of a day in game?

Thanks!

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Core gameplay modding?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:01:54 AM »

Things like camera manipulation belong in the API request thread; we can't do that atm but that's something that can probably be added to the engine fairly easily, as that would be hooking into existing code :)

As for manipulating time... we can't do that, and that's pretty fundamental to how the engine deals with steps, so it probably cannot be done directly without major refactoring.  However, there are constants regarding the speeds of the CampaignFleetAPI objects on the strategic map that can be changed, radically altering the apparent time scale, so for all practical purposes, this can be done.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 10:59:25 AM »

with alot of scripts it is posible to do some stuff that is technicaly not posible normaly... but it requires doing it the hard way, ir long convoluted methods
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

EvilKoala

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 08:40:37 AM »

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to submit an API request. I'd just like to make a simple mod to change how the combat feels.. Larger ranges, wider FOV, slower paced overall.. It sounds like I could do a few of these now, it just wont be balanced or fun until I can figure out how to do everything needed.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 08:50:04 AM »

It doesn't need to be balanced really, overpowered mods do have their share of fun as well, since they can do things that you couldn't do if you wanted a balanced mod. you could have it as a TC or simply not have a "vanilla balanced" tag in the mod OP =)

And tbh, pretty much everything can be achieved without delving into the core codes, just needs a longer and more complicated way to do it, and if it ain't there, just ask for it in the API request thread and Alex might just add it for the next patch or tell you how to achieve it using another method.